Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by pjtn Quote
Thanks pxpaulx and FullertonImages.

The weather sealing sounds great on the K5. I only recently paid $900 to repair my 5D MKII from water damage. It was only a slight drizzle too, Canon wouldn't warrant it though.
Sorry to hear that.

I recently got hit with a seawater wave, strong enough to knock me over and big enough to soak me and my K-7 head to toe. I stood up, back up off the end of the Jetty a bit, then kept shooting. Later, I washed my camera in the sink to get any salt off it. I don't advise you mimic me, but it survived just fine.

I've gotten my Pentax equipment every kind of wet, dirty, sandy, cold and beat up there is. Haven't had any problems yet.



11-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,767
Dude, remind me not to buy any lenses off you.......
11-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
Does anyone else think that a 12-24 WR would be a killer tool for a serious landscape photographer?
11-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
Junior Member
pjtn's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 48
Original Poster
A weak AA filter sounds like a good thing.

Ideally I would be buying a Leica M9, that's what I really want. But it's just too expensive.

Buttons, other than the FOV difference do you have any other reasons you wouldn't change?

FullertonImages, your K7 certainly can stand up to more than my 5D MKII. The sealing in that camera must be very good.

11-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
For landscape, isn't the extra DR of little consequence between the cameras? I mean, the one-two punch these days is to shoot at the lenses sharpest aperture, focus stack and blend multiple exposures. I guess if it is windy and/or there is a more dynamic landscape scene then the extra DR in a single shot would be some benefit.
11-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Dude, remind me not to buy any lenses off you.......
Don't worry, they're not for sale.

My logic was, if a wave strong enough to knock me over didn't just eff my lens, then some light pressure tap water to get the salt off wasn't going to do anything bad. So far as I can tell, I was right. I did another photo shoot that afternoon, and another one the morning after with the body/lens, and have use the body itself for 6 or 7 shoot since then. No perceivable issue at all.
11-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
QuoteOriginally posted by pjtn Quote
Sounds like you're all thinking along the same lines. I also consider a 5D MKII with Carl Zeiss primes. I'm disappointed Carl Zeiss is stopping support for Pentax.

How good are the wider angle limited lenses such as the 15mm and 21mm? How do this little lenses hold up against something like a Canon 17-40mm f4?
Those two are better than 17-40, no contest.
I got a couple of my favorite Zeiss lenses for Pentax, so I'm all set.
Also Pentax has a couple of FA limited primes which have a Zeiss look,
pretty close to it I own 77 and 43 and shoot them wide open - they
are really good.

Trust me, 16x24 is nothing, you don't need to worry about K-5 quality
and you will be so much happier walking around with a light bag,
the difference is really huge. If I want to travel light, I pack 4 small primes
and my bag is a Mini vs a huge Hummer if I take my Canon set.
If I want the look I like, I pack a couple of Zeiss lenses and my bag is still
a Civic


This is a typical Zeiss look taken with my K-7, K-5 might only
be better than that

11-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
Those two are better than 17-40, no contest.
I got a couple of my favorite Zeiss lenses for Pentax, so I'm all set.
Also Pentax has a couple of FA limited primes which have a Zeiss look,
pretty close to it I own 77 and 43 and shoot them wide open - they
are really good.

Trust me, 16x24 is nothing, you don't need to worry about K-5 quality
and you will be so much happier walking around with a light bag,
the difference is really huge. If I want to travel light, I pack 4 small primes
and my bag is a Mini vs a huge Hummer if I take my Canon set.
If I want the look I like, I pack a couple of Zeiss lenses and my bag is still
a Civic


This is a typical Zeiss look taken with my K-7, K-5 might only
be better than that
I'm with you on that one. Of all the reasons I like Pentax, the size and weight might be the biggest. When I pick up my friend's 5DmkII with a 24-70 on it, versus my K-7/5 with a 16-50 on it; I'm just like, "Oh my god, how do you work with this?" It's like the difference between a brick and a cinder block.

11-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #24
Junior Member
pjtn's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 48
Original Poster
That's a great photo andi. I really love the colours of Zeiss lenses. I might have to try and pick one up while they're still around.

I can only imagine how much easier it would be to carry this camera around. After selling my 70-200 and 400mm lenses the pack is substantially lighter.
11-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #25
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
I will go to the same place this weekend with my K-5, will have a chance to compare
the same frames resolution and detail wise, will post my findings.
But I'm not worried
Grab those Zeiss lenses, they will last longer than 5 cameras....
11-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #26
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
5D MKII vs D7000

Canon 5D MKII @ 25600 ISO:


Nikon D7000 @ 25600 ISO:
11-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #27
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mandeville Jamaica W.I.
Posts: 24
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Sorry to hear that.

I recently got hit with a seawater wave, strong enough to knock me over and big enough to soak me and my K-7 head to toe. I stood up, back up off the end of the Jetty a bit, then kept shooting. Later, I washed my camera in the sink to get any salt off it. I don't advise you mimic me, but it survived just fine.

I've gotten my Pentax equipment every kind of wet, dirty, sandy, cold and beat up there is. Haven't had any problems yet.

Pentax should pay you,perfect promotional footage..... IMHO.
11-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by Frederick Quote
Pentax should pay you,perfect promotional footage..... IMHO.
I'd be OK with that. We have a good relationship. I like their gear alot, and I try to make them look good whenever I can. Although, I certainly dont get hit by giant waves on purpose. Who knows what will come of it in the future.
11-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Canon 5D MKII @ 25600 ISO:


Nikon D7000 @ 25600 ISO:
Wow, they both look like crap. But I think I prefer the 5DmkII. The D7000 is just a sloppy mess. The mkII has a lot of chroma noise, but that is easier to fix than lack of detail...

I think the K-5 retains more detail than that at 25,600. Although, I don't know if those were unprocessed RAWs that Ken was shooting, or if they were in camera jpegs, that have NR all over them.
11-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #30
Pentaxian
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,767
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Don't worry, they're not for sale.

My logic was, if a wave strong enough to knock me over didn't just eff my lens, then some light pressure tap water to get the salt off wasn't going to do anything bad. So far as I can tell, I was right. I did another photo shoot that afternoon, and another one the morning after with the body/lens, and have use the body itself for 6 or 7 shoot since then. No perceivable issue at all.
I'm joking, of course.
It's all good. Just never turn your back..there always seems to be the wave that gets you. I did have issues with my 16-45 a couple of years back with hazing on the front element with salt from spray in the air, but it did eventually polish up. I think you having the option to wash a lens is probably a good one.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
5d, camera, dslr, image, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, mkii, pentax, pentax k-5, quality, simplicity
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please recommend a good multifunction ADF printer with good scanning quality raider General Talk 0 01-02-2010 07:03 PM
How can I get good image quality from a K-x?? Manfred Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 38 12-20-2009 08:18 PM
K or M Series - Which has the best image quality 8540tomg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 10-05-2009 07:53 AM
K-7 image quality concern claude21 Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 06-26-2009 11:34 AM
What you care more on shopping digital camera, good quality or or good looking? emilyy General Talk 19 12-12-2008 07:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top