Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjtn Quote
I'm actually starting to consider the Sony A850 more now.
Might be worth looking into how the K5 stacks up against the A850. This was going to be my next camera but I think that this new K5 sensor might be far superior than the one in the 850.

11-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #107

Original Poster
I'm not so sure about that after seeing some comparison shots. However the shots were JPEG straight from the camera so hard to judge.
11-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Yes I never take any notice of jpeg test shots, I only shoot raw. Found this site with some great K5 shots.

The World's Best Photos of k5 - Flickr Hive Mind

PS; to my eye these shots look at least as good as anything I have seen from the 5D MK2 (although only screen shots I know)
11-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Might be worth looking into how the K5 stacks up against the A850. This was going to be my next camera but I think that this new K5 sensor might be far superior than the one in the 850.
HI There - I've been shooting with the A900 for two years (since it came out). I've recently added a K5, and I'm loving it.
But don't imagine that two years is enough time for sensor technology to come on far enough that a 16mp APSc sensor will outperform a 25mp FF sensor.

The colour rolloff and the tone transitions in the A900/A850 sensor really are in a different league. Added to which the extra resolution has a real effect on landscape work and big prints. Of course, the High ISO of the K5 is much much better (but if you downsize A900 images they do really well).

Don't get me wrong, I think the K5 is great, as well as the high ISO it is much smaller (and so are the lenses), better made, weathersealed, quieter, and has slightly better dynamic range. Added to that, the Pentax primes are pretty much equivalent (if different) from the Zeiss lenses. . . . . . and it doesn't say Sony on it

But don't imagine that the sensor on the A850 is outlcassed, as it certainly isn't!

All the best
Jonathan Slack

11-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you're missing the fact that the Leica M9 doesn't have a sharpness killing AA filter. my canon 1DS MKIII requires a fair amount of sharpening to match the unsharpened output from the M9. Yes, I am using L series lenses.
If that's what matters most to you, then stick with your Leica and be happy. Digital sharpening seems to trouble you, so you have few alternatives.

Rob
11-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #111

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jonoslack Quote
HI There - I've been shooting with the A900 for two years (since it came out). I've recently added a K5, and I'm loving it.
But don't imagine that two years is enough time for sensor technology to come on far enough that a 16mp APSc sensor will outperform a 25mp FF sensor.

The colour rolloff and the tone transitions in the A900/A850 sensor really are in a different league. Added to which the extra resolution has a real effect on landscape work and big prints. Of course, the High ISO of the K5 is much much better (but if you downsize A900 images they do really well).

Don't get me wrong, I think the K5 is great, as well as the high ISO it is much smaller (and so are the lenses), better made, weathersealed, quieter, and has slightly better dynamic range. Added to that, the Pentax primes are pretty much equivalent (if different) from the Zeiss lenses. . . . . . and it doesn't say Sony on it

But don't imagine that the sensor on the A850 is outlcassed, as it certainly isn't!

All the best
Jonathan Slack
That's good to hear someone who has both. That's pretty much what I would have expected from it too. I'd imagine the A850 will show more details in larger prints and smoother tonal gradations. I've fallen in love with those little Limited lenses though.

My thinking at this stage is that I need to work out if I want smaller camera size or higher quality files. The Pentax K5 being the small camera and the Sony being the higher quality files.

I'm going to rule out medium format and the Leica M9 based on price.
11-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #112
Veteran Member

I am sure that, unless you are printing REALLY big, that there would be little or no discernable difference in IQ between the K5 and the Sony. My brother has prints from his 5D about the same size as mine from the K20 and there is little or no difference to the naked eye under normal viewing conditions.
11-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #113

Original Poster
What do you call really big ozlizard? I'm printing up to 16x24" and would imagine to see a difference at this size.

11-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Yeah about that size and bigger (40"x14") and I would be surprised to see a difference.
11-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I am sure that, unless you are printing REALLY big, that there would be little or no discernable difference in IQ between the K5 and the Sony. My brother has prints from his 5D about the same size as mine from the K20 and there is little or no difference to the naked eye under normal viewing conditions.
Hi Oz (and Peter)
Well, just to compound my crime, I also have an M9 (certainly my most used camera).

I think the prints look discernibly different - even at 12x16 . . . . . it's not just to do with the sensor, it's also to do with the lenses and the processing . . . However, I'm not sure which I like best - different in itself doesn't confer a value!

Depending on the subject, I'm sure you can print right up to A1 size with the K5 without needing to worry, and, let's face it, if you really want to see every detail on every leaf at that size, you need to go to medium format and shouldn't be messing with any of these 'little' cameras.

I think the K5 has a stronger AA filter than the A900 (and of course the M9 doesn't have one), so if you care to pixel peep at 100% it probably is the least impressive . . . but that doesn't have much to do with big prints!

No - I think all the discussion of 'best' 'as good as' etc. is a bit arbitrary - what really does matter is the characteristics of the different lenses, and (to me at least) the different shooting experience.

The K5 is a lovely camera and the limited lenses are lovely too, comparing it with the A900 or the M9 is obviously valid and useful, but deciding on a winner seems a little pointless.
11-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #116

The winner is the one you feel confortable with and you can afford, IQ being "now" the less relevant parameter , that wasn't the case few years ago.
11-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by tooppy Quote
The winner is the one you feel confortable with and you can afford, IQ being "now" the less relevant parameter , that wasn't the case few years ago.
Exactly - I quite agree.
01-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My regular lens is the DA* 16-50, but in some circumstances, I need wider. This one is at 12mm with the DA 12-24/4. I am standing as close to the edge of this lookout as I can.

By the way, this was printed by MPix as a metallic print standoff 20"x30" and the client is elated with the results. It is now the featured waiting room image. He took down 7 other pictures and replaced them with this single image. When I went to see it, I was blown away with the quality of the print. Thanks, MPix! Not bad for a 10.2 Mp camera - the DA 12-24 certainly helped!
Care to share the exif of the image, just my curiosity
01-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pjtn Quote
What do you call really big ozlizard? I'm printing up to 16x24" and would imagine to see a difference at this size.
Hi

Where can I find your images? I'm curious

I have k7 and I'm having demand for larger files for printing large purposes (60*90cm and higher) so I was starting to think on getting a 5dII and 17-40/4L for the purpose... good to see this thread
01-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
dynamic range is king for landscapes.

Here is a raw: see for yourself:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/RlRwK2VuT2JCTWswTVE9PQ

Last edited by WerTicus; 01-08-2011 at 06:18 AM.