Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjtn Quote
It may even look better if it doesn't band every time you try to lift the shadows.
The K-5 sensor is extremely good at pulling quality detail out of the shadows.

11-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #47
Forum Member

11-16

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Does anyone else think that a 12-24 WR would be a killer tool for a serious landscape photographer?
if they are going to be fulfilling dreams, i would rather have the tokina 11-16 2.8 done up in the DA* treatment. that lens is bloody brilliant
11-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #48
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the 4th page and noone's linked to the previous discussion in the other 5D MKII owner's thread for reference?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/120794-k-5-images-impressions.html

Reader's Digest version ... he likes it!
11-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Actually, I've used mine in Hawaii on a hike and ended up under a waterfall. See the image on the left.

Hiking to Waterfalls, Maui | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
No worries with my K200D and DA18-55mm WR. I don't recommend it but I have also used in the after storm of a hurricane.

Very rugged camera,

John

11-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Simplistic for sure. Ultimately I want a Leica, that's about as simple as it gets. Every time I mention "Leica" I think I can gear my piggy bank go running though
Anyone who says they "want" a leica should be barred from ever owning one. The weak AA filter of the Leica M9 is simultaneously a blessing and a curse. Having spent nearly a week getting rid of moire in a heap of studio images I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the benefits of cameras that are without them.
11-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #51

Original Poster
Digitalis, what model Leica do you have? Are you looking at selling it?
11-10-2010, 04:29 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own a M9 and M8, I also have an M7, three M6TTL's, four M3's and Five Hexars*, and I have no interest in selling any of them. I'm just going to avoid using the digital M leicas in the studio.

*and some silly people call me a hoarder. I call it redundancy, you tw@t.

11-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Hi, Clarkey, I know you had some experience with the 7D which I agree is a fine camera. How would you rate the WR feature of that camera? I know last time I was at a wedding party, when a rain shower just hit us unexpectedly fast everyone (including those with 5Ds) scrambled for covers except me (with my K10D and my DA* lens). I suspect that the 7D has better WR seals than the 5Ds.
Only a passing acquaintance (borrowed it) - you may have me mixed up with someone else. While I didn't get it wet, I thought (like others here) that the build quality in general was much higher than the 5dII. I think that the K-7 is tougher than the 7D as it is a tight, tiny package. Of course you need the sealed lenses in the Canon system as well, and those cost $$$$. However if you are really keen to get the 7D wet, you can always get an underwater housing for cheaper than the K-7/K-5.

Wet is only half the story to me BTW. The beauty of the WR lenses (i.e. not the DA*, although these obviously have the same benefits) is the sealing against dust and sand. When hiking and travelling, I have found these to be more likely issues.
11-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Only a passing acquaintance (borrowed it) - you may have me mixed up with someone else. While I didn't get it wet, I thought (like others here) that the build quality in general was much higher than the 5dII. I think that the K-7 is tougher than the 7D as it is a tight, tiny package. Of course you need the sealed lenses in the Canon system as well, and those cost $$$$. However if you are really keen to get the 7D wet, you can always get an underwater housing for cheaper than the K-7/K-5.

Wet is only half the story to me BTW. The beauty of the WR lenses (i.e. not the DA*, although these obviously have the same benefits) is the sealing against dust and sand. When hiking and travelling, I have found these to be more likely issues.
I'm in that same position, dust versus moisture, so I looked into the subject.

Pentax writes about WR being splash-resistant or moisture-resistant, but carefully avoids any mention of dust. Only the DA * glass is designed for dust protection if we carefully read what Pentax tells us. IIRC, I saw an interview with a Pentax rep who pointed photographers to the DA * line for dust protection.

Given that there are no warranties either way, I'll happily assume (based upon nothing) that WR helps somewhat with larger particles and cross my fingers.
11-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I'm in that same position, dust versus moisture, so I looked into the subject.

Pentax writes about WR being splash-resistant or moisture-resistant, but carefully avoids any mention of dust. Only the DA * glass is designed for dust protection if we carefully read what Pentax tells us. IIRC, I saw an interview with a Pentax rep who pointed photographers to the DA * line for dust protection.

Given that there are no warranties either way, I'll happily assume (based upon nothing) that WR helps somewhat with larger particles and cross my fingers.
+1. I figure that some sealing has to be better on zooms that suck dust in.

Sorry all, just saw how far away from the OP we have come!
11-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #56

Original Poster
That's ok. I'm just mulling it over in my head as to what I should do. Replacing my L series lens with Carl Zeiss would be a nice option too. However I like the Pentax K5 body more.

I might work out the cost of a Leica M9 with one lens too. I'm pretty sure it'll be too much though.
11-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #57

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would maybe say otherwise regarding that Pentax will not cover Weather damaged items.... I had my K20D + 16-50 in heavy rain... both were affected as I think some water got in through the mount (had a thread on it quite recently)... Pentax replaced the 16-50 free of charge!.... thats what I call standing behind the marketing.
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I shoot with a Canon 5D MKII and have been considering the Pentax K5 since it came out. I take only landscape photographs, always at base ISO and print up to 16x24".

My first DSLR was a Pentax IstDs, which was great for it's simplicity. I'm hoping Pentax have retained that simplicity in their newer models. Another factor I love, since I walk a lot with equipment, is the small size and light weight.

What I really want to know is what people think about the image quality difference. Since DXO posted their sensor score results we can see that the K5 has a greater dynamic range than the 5D MKII. How would overall image quality compare though?

Do you think the K5 would be as good as the 5D MKII at 16x24" prints?
Interesting thread this one.

I am mostly a landscaper and have prints from my K20D at 24"x36" and I am very happy with the results at normal viewing distance. I get much the same performance from my EOS 7D. Therefore, I would expect that a K-5 would be great at the print size you mention.

Is it worth switching from your existing 5D Mk2? If you need complete weather sealing and a small, lightweight package as your primary requirements, the Pentax system is certainly going to give you that, although (and this is my BIGGEST gripe) there is no decent weather sealed landscape wide angle lens for the Pentax system, so the weather sealing is a moot point. My K20D has taken some serious abuse so can certainly vouch for the build quality of the Pentax bodies. With regards to dynamic range; as long as it's good enough at base ISO, then I would prefer to take lens selection and resolution over DR simply because (as mentioned) DR can be balanced out easily with mutiple exposures or through the use of graduated neutral density filters.

Something else to factor in about the 5D Mk2 is that it's getting old, that doesn't mean it doesn't take stellar photos anymore, it's just that the latest bodies / sensors are snapping at the heals of older FF bodies. The sensor in the 5D Mk2 is the same as the 1Ds Mk3 which is over three years old now. You may be worth waiting a year for the 5D Mk3 which will certainly hammer today's technology, plus you can use your existing lenses.

With regards to lenses, there is no denying that the 5D Mk2 has three tremendous landscaping lenses worth mentioning:

- Carl Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8
- Canon TS-E 17mm f/4
- Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5

The tilt and shift lenses are of particular interest to me because a) they're optically fantastic with very impressive resolution figures and b) one can correct for distortions at the lens, retaining resolution and detail that would otherwise be lost in PP distortion correction. The resolution figures for the Carl Zeiss are also smashing.

I don't recall you mentioning which lenses you had for your 5D Mk2, but I would be investing in awesome glass now with the option of the 5D Mk3 this time next year which will definitely have upwards of 25 megapixels to play with and a noticeable advantage resolution wise over today's APS-C resolution (not to mention great glass to go with it).
11-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing to remember is that it is relatively easy to seal a lens if the body is sealed -- it is a bigger deal to get coverage of the body as well. That means you could stick a DA 15mm lens on a K5 and then put a plastic bag over it with appropriate holes and shoot just fine. I wouldn't be too worried about shooting with the DA limiteds in most conditions, but certainly would avoid it in dust storms/rain storms.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the K7/k5 have wonderful dust removal system on the sensor. i own the K7 and do frequent lens changes and have not had any trouble with dust on my sensor since buying it in March.
11-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VHDEL Quote
If I was shooting purley landscapes the 5D MkII with a 17mm or 24mm TS lens would be a superb combo thats hard to beat.
As a landscape shooter myself I have to disagree. 17mm is an extreme focal lenght and have little use in landscape photography, although I'm sure someone is using them all the time. Tilt and shift is something I have never had any use for in a strong wide angle as a 24mm; "endless" DOF is no problem and the rest could be done in post processing if at all...