Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #1

How to fully utilize great DR of K5?

I planned to buy the Kr for my wife to replace her K100d.
However, I just found out the K5 received great comment, especially the great DR of iso 80.

However, I don't truly understand the benefit.
It's because my friend told me that normal display nor hard copy photos can truly show these DR.
So, what's the point to have 14 EV? Easy pro-processing of HDR with one photo only. Recover a photo with extremely under exposure?
Any advice is welcomed

11-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Think of it this way: areas that would have been totally black and totally blown out on other sensors might still have some detail in them when shot with the K-5, resulting in a more natural image with more editable data in it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Lets say I photograph an outdoor scene of some nice forested scenery, with some deep shadows and a bright, sky with clouds - a common enough travel photo ?

There is no way the camera can correctly expose everything. You expose the land scenery correctly, the sky will be overexposed, If I want to retain some detail of the sky, the forest in the background will be dark.

In practice I will expose to prevent a blow out of the sky. The forest, especially the shadows will be underexposed. I may just leave it like that, but if I shoot RAW, I can bring out the details in the shadows.
A camera like the K-5 with great Dynamic Range will allow you to bring out a lot of shadow detail with minimum noise.

This would make the photo much closer to how your eyes would have seen the view - human eyes have very high capacity to adjust to either bright light and shadows, depending on where you direct your eyes to.
11-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is a feature I am looking forward to using on my K-5 which I collect tomorrow as well as the in camera HDR for scenery.

11-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Think of it this way (and I've shown this in other threads)..

This shot is under exposed by at least 4 stops.

This is what is hidden in all that blackness..

and there's still room to pull out more (in RAW).. Full Sized version here.

As nice as the K5 is (I've barely been able to put mine down), the K7 is also quite a capable camera at the lower ISOs.

But then again, as nice as the K7 is, there is no way in hell it could pull This off.

ISO 16000

The K-r is probably a fine camera. If your wife likes the smaller cameras, that's probably the way to go for her. The K5 without the grip is a pretty compact unit but I'd bet mine (almost), it's more bulky feeling to someone use to a K100d than a K-r would be.

11-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks Jeff, amazing examples. I WANT this camera, 16,000 iso images
11-10-2010, 04:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thx all for your info.
So, if I will do pro-processing. With K-5, I should use spot-metering to get exposure with the highlight of the scene. And let's programs to pull back the shadow details?
11-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The K-5 not only has an amazing DR, it also has a low black read out noise, combine this two and you can fully use the DR.

You have to shoot in RAW to fully utilize it's potential.

You expose for the highlight so it barely blows (There will defintely be some highlight room in RAW to recover some blown areas). Then the sensor is going to capture up to 14 stops of light at iso 80. The parts of the images that look dark can easily be recovered. As the sensor also has very little black readout noise you are not going to introduce much noise as you do this. (The K10D when it came out had excellent DR, but due to high base noise the recovered sahdows showed bit of noise, not to mention vertical banding).

The K-5 body with it's sensor is a mighty impressive package.