Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K5 or Kr?

Hello,

I have been reading the forums and looking at pictures. I am trying to decide between the K5 and the KR. Can anyone help me figure out the IQ differences between the 2 cameras.

I understand the different features and build quality. I also get that the K5 is probably a little better at high ISO pictures (less, cleaner noise). My main concern is low ISO pictures. I want sharpness and clarity. Some of the images from the KR feel a little soft and the highlights seem more blown out.

I am trying to see if this could be partially because of the camera. If both cameras had the same lens, and shot the same picture (at ISO 100-800), would there be any real differences between the pictures? Has anyone done a side-by-side with the K5 and KR?

thank you very much,
Peter

11-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K5 is obviously the better camera in practically every way (unless you want a white or red dslr, etc.), it all depends on whether you want to pay more.
11-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think you're going to be hard pressed to get a real side-by-side for awhile unfortunately. Likely something like that won't come along until dpreview puts out their respective reviews, or perhaps when imaging resource adds photos to their compar-o-meter. You will get a slightly better (since it is the best aps-c sensor according to DxO) dynamic range from the K-5 than the K-r, and that comes at the lowest ISO of 80 (again according to the DxO scoring). While I haven't done any side by side testing between the K-5 and another camera, I can say the dynamic range is surprisingly good, details get pulled out in the shadows/highlights that I simply am not used to getting out of a camera.
11-10-2010, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here is out current technical side-by-side: Pentax K-5 & Pentax K-r - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

On November 21st, we'll be posting a comprehensive K-5 review, while on December 12th, we'll do the same for the K-r. At that point, we'll be able to draw conclusions and do a hands-on comparison. Check out this post for details: Professional K 5 and K r Reviews an Update - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Yes, we're going to beat DPR!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tried both, liked both. k5 is unbelieveably silent, hard to believe how canikons are loud compared to k-5. K-r has quite good ergonomic, it's af is fast, really improved over older models. However, anytime,anyday I would go for k5.
11-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If IQ is truly most important, I'd suspect the k-r with savings spent on top optics is the answer. For the imaging experience overall the K-5 has features you may not need today but may crave in 6 months. At least you have no bad answer either way!
11-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't think that you can compare shots taken by different users under different conditions. If you're lucky somebody here might have both and can take some more-or-less controlled shots.

11-12-2010, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #8

I've been pondering the same question for a few weeks. For me it's less the IQ than the construction of the body and the usage that point me towards the K5.

If it wasn't for the much improved low light performance I would not really consider getting a replacement for my K200. I am satisfied with the IQ I get.

The K-r would be a logical choice for me if I only looked at the IQ and if I didn't mostly use my camera outdoors. I don't know if a K-r or K-x would have survived the plunge into the snowdrift last winter...

Another important point for me is how fast I can change settings on my camera. I really prefer to be able to switch as many things as possible without accessing some kind of menu, and here the K5 seems to be much better suited to my wishes than the K-r.