Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

10k shots in 3 weeks isn't much really. I went to a fireworks display last weekend and shot 1,200 in four hours. I can easily do 2,000 in a whole day.

I mean film is cheap these days isn't it.

11-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man, I've had my K10 since 2007 and just last month exceeded 10,000 shutter activations.
11-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just can't imagine sorting through all of those photos. It makes me tired just thinking about it. Digital does change everything though. I used to shoot a hundred photos on a week's vacation, now I'll shoot six or seven hundred in that same length of time. Not sure that I am a better photographer, just less selective.
11-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #34
mel
Veteran Member

I can easily shoot 1200 between 2 cameras at a soccer game. When I shot boxing with Brendan I think I came home with over 2k images between 2 cameras. I probably shot more than Brendan did that night because he was busy gabbing with friends the whole time

11-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My almost 4 year old K100D dosen't have 10,000 shots....lol
11-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Ok After almost 10,000 Shutter count and about 3 weeks the K5 is holding up well.
Things I like:
AF speed
ISO/noise (Esp at/above 3200 till 12800)
Auto WB
Jpg Quality
DR is AMAZING!

Things I dislike:
no 1/250 xsync

Things I HATE:
Progressive Buffer (Higher ISO, smaller the Buffer) at 12800 I get 5-6framesn (In both jpg or RAW)
No Voice-memo (The damn thing has a mic, hell my Point and shoots can do this, Come ON!)

Things I expect to see fixed in soon to be released firmware update:
Buffer

Proof the Camera is better than the lens: My 16-50 AF speed/lock-on sux on it compared to any other lens old or new

Good Battery Life. Huge Files, Buffer Sucks! (OOPS Did I already say that)

DXO has it (the sensor) tied for 6th place really with only the D3s really beating it in the 35mm-ish size arena, Amazing
You set the K5 on interval shooting, went to bed, and realized 10K worth of pics in no time!

How many keepers did you get?
We want to see some pics already!

Cheers!

JP
11-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #37
Site Supporter

If and when I shoot weddings,I get 3,000-,4000 shots. That is if it's a long morning to evening wedding event. 10,000 in 3 weeks sounds about right for this.
11-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
How long does the battery usually last (without using any flash)? Do you use a battery pack? And also, how large are the raw files? PEF or DNG?

10,000 clicks... wow... that's probably more than I've done since I started shooting around the year 2000... and in THREE WEEKS!

I first took up photography as a hobby in my student days, with film cameras. I had limited money to spare on film and development , so I had to make every shot count.

That's still my photography style these days, even if my camera can do 7 fps...

11-12-2010, 04:05 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote

I first took up photography as a hobby in my student days, with film cameras. I had limited money to spare on film and development , so I had to make every shot count.

That's still my photography style these days, even if my camera can do 7 fps...
im agree with you ... i think he is grow up in digital SLR world..so never count what is shuttercount ?
i wonder what would he does with 10.000 photo in 3weeks, it gonna be a lot of day to post processing it ..
11-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #40
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
im agree with you ... i think he is grow up in digital SLR world..so never count what is shuttercount ?
i wonder what would he does with 10.000 photo in 3weeks, it gonna be a lot of day to post processing it ..
You scan through them and pick out the best couple to submit for the job. The rest get archived or something. It was the same idea when I shot film for my university newspaper. You shoot a roll or two (bulk film, it was cheaper), develop, make a contact sheet, pick one or two. Digital is just faster. and you don't have to wait for developer.
11-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
When I started working for the papers, I was shooting film on a Zx-5n and a Mx w/ Winder (so max 2.5fps at all times) I moved up to the MZ-S and got the boost to 3fps and stayed there till the K7
Though I never had to do Plate-work I did have to process film, choose it on a Light-table and scan it in using a Big Leaf-scanner that took 20+min per scan (great quality though I must say)
I have also used to shoot on a regular basis Chromes and 4x5 sheet film.
I grew up in a film world, My photo degree only had 3 classes that even involved computers and my first DSLR didnt come till my final semester in college w/ the *ist-D
Yes I admit sometimes I shoot sloppy, Sports is one of those times but whey you have deadlines that are sometimes less than an Hr away you have to be quick. No I do not just "work the motor" I do choose shots and with the higher FPS it ends up making 3-4 keepers instead of just 1-2 like w/ film (True it also makes 3-4 non keepers, about the same w/ fast action and film)

I run threw images using ACDsee Pro 3 tagging only the ones that sand out (or if I need that player/person) It takes me about 30min to edit about 200-500 images from a sports game down to 3-4 (Less If I just need a quick one And I know what the File # is from the camera already)

Even my friends who have been working at the paper longer than I have been alive end up with 200-300 shots at least from a sports game if they shoot most of the game (And one of these guys used to use a speed-graffic and a Leica or Nikon for roll-film)
Weddings are the same way, Clients expect more than the old "50 photos" that most of which were posed.
11-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Wow. 10k actuations in 3 weeks...

I've had my K-x for over a year, shooting something every day, and yet I have only clocked up about 6000 shutter actuations.

I feel so inadequate. I must be doing something wrong.
Haha; I have just started reading about K-5 (have not been around since Photokina) and the OP is having that record :о)
11-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: Now officially at 10K (Finished the day today with 10230)
I have shot everything from fall landscapes to weddings, sports (day and night, inside and out) feature stories etc. ISO 100 to 51200 (mainly to test, shoot most night games now in-between 8000-12800 (and in Jpg with only low setting on NR giving me better than 1600-3200 quality from the K7)
Battery life is great, I only ran out once when I was shooting video at the Photo Expo all day and didnt have the grip on the camera. Seemingly lasting over 2000 shots with batteries in both camera and grip. (Charge about twice/week)
"Keepers" are dependent on the subject By keeper I mean its in focus and exposed well) but average over 40% (about 30% for sports, 80% for features/weddings)
Flash (pttl, with AF560 flash) is still a bit iffy I dont know if its my aging (and dying) flashes or the camera, when its working its great, when not it over exposes.
11-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Update: Now officially at 10K (Finished the day today with 10230)
I have shot everything from fall landscapes to weddings, sports (day and night, inside and out) feature stories etc. ISO 100 to 51200 (mainly to test, shoot most night games now in-between 8000-12800 (and in Jpg with only low setting on NR giving me better than 1600-3200 quality from the K7)
Battery life is great, I only ran out once when I was shooting video at the Photo Expo all day and didnt have the grip on the camera. Seemingly lasting over 2000 shots with batteries in both camera and grip. (Charge about twice/week)
"Keepers" are dependent on the subject By keeper I mean its in focus and exposed well) but average over 40% (about 30% for sports, 80% for features/weddings)
Flash (pttl, with AF560 flash) is still a bit iffy I dont know if its my aging (and dying) flashes or the camera, when its working its great, when not it over exposes.
As for comparison, could you please give your "keepers" ratio in similar conditions for K-7 or whatever you have been (or are) shooting too?

Thanks
11-14-2010, 01:04 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
You scan through them and pick out the best couple to submit for the job. The rest get archived or something. It was the same idea when I shot film for my university newspaper. You shoot a roll or two (bulk film, it was cheaper), develop, make a contact sheet, pick one or two. Digital is just faster. and you don't have to wait for developer.
yeahh... we can scan through them ....
but the idea is , if you work at the newspaper , how to compare photo that you take with the photo will be approve in the headlines ? you said in film era is one or 2 roll film..so its about 72 shoot and 2 or 4 or of them willl be on the news paper

...but what about digital ? 2000 shoot and only 6 or 8 of them were on the newspaper ?? well i think its little bit overwhelming isnt it ? little bit ...
but it is depend on the taste from the photographer and everybody has their own way to achive their best shoot... it just my humble opinion ...

Last edited by ewig; 11-14-2010 at 01:34 AM.