Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
When I started working for the papers, I was shooting film on a Zx-5n and a Mx w/ Winder (so max 2.5fps at all times) I moved up to the MZ-S and got the boost to 3fps and stayed there till the K7
Though I never had to do Plate-work I did have to process film, choose it on a Light-table and scan it in using a Big Leaf-scanner that took 20+min per scan (great quality though I must say)
I have also used to shoot on a regular basis Chromes and 4x5 sheet film.
I grew up in a film world, My photo degree only had 3 classes that even involved computers and my first DSLR didnt come till my final semester in college w/ the *ist-D
Yes I admit sometimes I shoot sloppy, Sports is one of those times but whey you have deadlines that are sometimes less than an Hr away you have to be quick. No I do not just "work the motor" I do choose shots and with the higher FPS it ends up making 3-4 keepers instead of just 1-2 like w/ film (True it also makes 3-4 non keepers, about the same w/ fast action and film)

I run threw images using ACDsee Pro 3 tagging only the ones that sand out (or if I need that player/person) It takes me about 30min to edit about 200-500 images from a sports game down to 3-4 (Less If I just need a quick one And I know what the File # is from the camera already)

Even my friends who have been working at the paper longer than I have been alive end up with 200-300 shots at least from a sports game if they shoot most of the game (And one of these guys used to use a speed-graffic and a Leica or Nikon for roll-film)
Weddings are the same way, Clients expect more than the old "50 photos" that most of which were posed.
like the way i said before , why you dont think about other Profesional DSLR... its a worthkeeping DSLR ..higly recommended for speed shooting like football or ice hockey..

thats remind me about my old K100D , when i had K100D i try to take some photo with a "speed" ... and at the first time a lot of people laugh at me ..and i think here in forum theres a bunch of thread which said about the lack AF speed in pentax, the speed of AF in pentax is little bit slow compare with others...

but i do not easy give up , once i take a photo shoot from footbal game and after 50 or 80 clicks , well yeahh..the burst mode in K100D just 2,5 FPS

i give some of the result tho the others photographer, and they only stunning when they see the result, considered i take this foto with my old K100D and 135/2,8 lens ( the lens are manual and its auto revuneon not pentax )

all im trying to say is ..actually theres nothing that pentax "cannt" do compare with the other mark..but is also hurt consider that you have to shoot more times to get the best result.. it just my second opinion and i am just beginner not profesional ..

11-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
About the 10k shots in three weeks - it's very much possible. When I shoot basketball games I usually come home with around 500 shots that I have to sort through and that's only a good hour of shooting. Shooting sports is heavy on the equipment (camera and computer and the human mind ).

Now about the buffer. What do you mean by "fix the buffer problem"? Do you mean that Pentax should add a mode where the camera shoots with less FPS or is there another way to fix the buffer? Because I think there really isn't a way to fix this problem other than solder some more memory chips in the camera. It's a hardware thing so can't really be fixed with a firmware update without influencing your shooting or the quality of the shots.

I think Pentax used the same amount of buffer memory for the K-5 and the K-7 but since the K-5 has a larger pixel count and can shoot at higher FPS the buffer gets filled quicker. It's really a shame since memory is cheap and such a small amount of it would help a lot.

A software "fix" for this would be lower resolution shots or less fps ... maybe some sort of compression for DNG/PEF/JPG (can't see how that would work).
11-14-2010, 03:03 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Yet Pentax promised a firmware update which will increase the buffer capacity from 8 to up to 20 RAWs. It should arrive soon, maybe this week?
03-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After 30K now it’s still chugging away, the occasional hick-up I have always ran into on random occasion w/ all cameras has occurred, but overall very pleased.
What I am not pleased with is the face im about to send my 16-50 off again for SDM failure, that would be 4 repairs/replacements since I got the original back when they first came out back in 07... So I guess one could assume that under heavy use they last about 1 per year or about 20000 shots

03-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Shouldn't 1/250 sync essentially be a moot point with ISO 80 available now?
Not really.
I'd hope so too when I got the K5.

ISO80 soaks up battery juice from the flash (ie. more flash power needed).
1/250 sync speed does not.
It starts to make a difference when doing an event or studio shoot where a few shots are needed in succession. The flash does not recharge fast enough.
03-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #51
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
After 30K now itís still chugging away, the occasional hick-up I have always ran into on random occasion w/ all cameras has occurred, but overall very pleased.
What I am not pleased with is the face im about to send my 16-50 off again for SDM failure, that would be 4 repairs/replacements since I got the original back when they first came out back in 07... So I guess one could assume that under heavy use they last about 1 per year or about 20000 shots
Cool report on your experience. Was the hiccup a 'freeze' or similar glitch?
Sad to hear about this 16-50 of yours - it hasn't exactly gone through the wars to have had to fail multiple times like that. They say lenses are forever - there had to be one class of lens to go and be the exception...
03-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #52

I wonder how many bytes did Pentax put for its shutter counter? It's definitely more then two (2^16=65536 and many have reported to have gone beyond this point), but if it's three bytes (2^24=16777216), then...
In 139 years and one month later I'm going to see Brendan's post in Marketplace saying that here comes a pristine K-5 with 10K mileage, that has been beloved baby of professional photographer and regularly serviced by authorized dealer. Original boxes, cords, manuals and papers are included as well as service records.

Zig
03-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Posts like this have me soooo excited to get my hands on the K-5 soon! As soon as my tax return arrives!

03-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
Hey, pghwarrior. I thought I was the only person in the greater Pittsburgh area using Pentax. Glad to see I'm not alone
03-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I had 10K on my first K-5, the one with stains and now with my second I'm just over 11K. So it is a great camera to handle.

It is a little slow on emptying the buffer (my fast card SanDisk Pro arrives tomorrow) but the buffer is nicely. I can take some 20-24 RAW DNG at fast speed setting.
03-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Not really.
I'd hope so too when I got the K5.

ISO80 soaks up battery juice from the flash (ie. more flash power needed).
1/250 sync speed does not.
It starts to make a difference when doing an event or studio shoot where a few shots are needed in succession. The flash does not recharge fast enough.
Obviously we are not comparing ISO 100 to ISO 80 than right? More like 1/250 sync speed and ISO 400?

Surely the difference between ISO 100 and ISO 80 flash wise cant be enough to stop the flash from recharding fast enough right?
03-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Bremdam if you make 10k actuation in 3 weeks in a regular basis, I would be curious to know why you are not using a camera with a pro grade shutter (like a D3sthg or 1D)?
Cheaper to buy a 2nd K-5 when the first one wears out.

I've taken 18,000 shots on my K-5, which arrived mid January. not quite as speedy as the OP

Minyou my shutter count has just reduced back down to about 10 as I had the cam replaced today.
04-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh and my K7 is about 90K, Im debating on really testing it to the 100K+ mark but also really want another K5 as the K7 is good, I can tell the difference, its like using a K20 and a *ist-D
04-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Boy, I feel like a real Piker, I just passed 10,000 shutter actuation's on my K10 last fall. Many of you are surpassing that number with your second or third camera after your K10. I guess that I need to get out there and burn a lot more pictures.
04-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Boy, I feel like a real Piker, I just passed 10,000 shutter actuation's on my K10 last fall. Many of you are surpassing that number with your second or third camera after your K10. I guess that I need to get out there and burn a lot more pictures.
Dont worry, if yuor making good photos/art thats all that counts. I have a high shutter count because I work for newspapers shooting upwards of 15+ assignments a week