Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello, what i meant to say when i said 'everything is fine' is that its very broken and you should send it to me for 'repair'

11-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried immodium?
11-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #33
Forum Member

Well I am on this thread for this reason too. I just took my K-5 out of the box and noticed the knocking when I rotate the camera from portrait to landscape. The knock is even heavier when I rotate it (like a car's steering wheel) 180 deg. I can hear and feel the knock and I dont like it. The first 10 images however, looked great so I assumed it is not serious but I still had to search this thread.

The knock sounds and feels like something the size and weight(density) of my FA50mm 1.4 front glass moving side to side by about 2-3mm in a solid enclosure. Yes, the knock is that heavy and it makes no difference weather the camera is on with SR or not.

For those of you without that lens, the front glass is about 48mm in dia and 15mm thick

Can anyone please confirm with me on the feel or description of the knock?
11-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Well I am not exactly sure how you could attribute a size, weight or density to the internal movement of the sensor, but yes, that does sound like normal to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by vancmann Quote
Well I am on this thread for this reason too. I just took my K-5 out of the box and noticed the knocking when I rotate the camera from portrait to landscape. The knock is even heavier when I rotate it (like a car's steering wheel) 180 deg. I can hear and feel the knock and I dont like it. The first 10 images however, looked great so I assumed it is not serious but I still had to search this thread.

The knock sounds and feels like something the size and weight(density) of my FA50mm 1.4 front glass moving side to side by about 2-3mm in a solid enclosure. Yes, the knock is that heavy and it makes no difference weather the camera is on with SR or not.

For those of you without that lens, the front glass is about 48mm in dia and 15mm thick

11-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vancmann Quote

Sounds normal, it's the entire center plate that is loose inside and it doesn't lock in place until the shutter is about to open. See picture
Attached Images

11-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #36
Forum Member

Thanks Guys
Oh pxpaulx, the weight/density and size thing is just an estimation.
11-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #37

Original Poster
Vancmann:

Since I posted my concerns about the 'thunk/clunk' within, I have taken hundreds of shots and can happily report that although not many of them are keepers, they all came out as I imagine they should have, with the rattling sensor mechanism operating as designed.

The thing that got me at first was that, out of the box, my K5 didn't make the sound and didn't have the 'feel' it does now when the camera is rotated... I had taken many shots each day until one evening when the 'thunk/clunk' thing started... now I barely notice it, but, others do when they give the camera try... think they broke something... I pretend they did, "WHAT DID YOU DO?!"... then a few tense moments follow before I start laughing...can't help myself.

Have fun with that K5, captures beautifully doesn't it?

11-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #38
Forum Member

I used it last night for the first time, not including the few test shots when I took it out the box. I am extremely pleased and I think that I have to re take my whole libary. Yup, it captures beautifully I have to agree. BTW, I didnt really noticed the knock that much either.
Thanks
11-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Sounds normal, it's the entire center plate that is loose inside and it doesn't lock in place until the shutter is about to open. See picture
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the plate does not lock into place as the shutter opens as that would defeat the purpose of SR completely.
11-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oddshot Quote
Vancmann: I pretend they did, "WHAT DID YOU DO?!"... then a few tense moments follow before I start laughing...can't help myself.
Hehehe, i would do that too :P
11-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the plate does not lock into place as the shutter opens as that would defeat the purpose of SR completely.
Well with SR off it does, with SR on the onboard computer will continuously calculate where the sensor plate should be (to counteract movement) and then move the plate to that position. Thus as long as the shutter is open, the sensorplate will not be loose, it will be in a controlled position. (Unless you shake too much, then the SR system will consider the shoot a loss and drop the sensor and it will again be loose.)
11-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Well with SR off it does, with SR on the onboard computer will continuously calculate where the sensor plate should be (to counteract movement) and then move the plate to that position. Thus as long as the shutter is open, the sensorplate will not be loose, it will be in a controlled position. (Unless you shake too much, then the SR system will consider the shoot a loss and drop the sensor and it will again be loose.)
Ok, so with SR on it's controlled by the magnets, but still moving in order to counter the movement of the camera body as long as the shutter is open. It's not in a fixed position as with SR off.
11-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #43

I have moved my K5 in all directions and I don't hear anything. Mine is tight right now? for how long I wonder?