Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #1

Uh Oh! My new K5 has loose innards !!!

...NO, I didn't drop it... I just picked it up to go out and try some night shots and, "what the hell was that?!". Something is seriously loose and sliding back and forth inside the body of the camera. Either when moving the body side to side (gently shaking it) or when I move it from horizontal to vertical, as one would when switching from landscape to portrait. What ever part it is, it slides back and forth at least a 1/16" - 1/8" when rotating the camera... funny thing is though, it still is taking pictures fine as far as I can tell... what could be so loose inside that wouldn't effect the operation of the camera ???

As you can imagine I am a little dismayed and will be returning the camera tomorrow (the reseller says they have a 30 day money back), in hopes that they have a replacement and that this is just a VERY RARE problem.

I just received the camera Monday and have taken all of 400 shots testing it... I didn't even get to go out in any extreme weather yet!

For me, this is an upgrade from the Kx as I wanted a more pro-featured camera. And because I had been enjoying what Pentax has to offer, since buying the Kx (my first DSLR), I thought I would stick with Pentax for my first serious camera and potentially for some time to come (lots of great lenses to buy)... I am now wondering if that is such a good idea given this problem.

Has anyone else out there had any parts come loose suddenly? Perhaps in a K7 if not a K5? (same body right?)

For the past hour I have been examining the camera trying to determine what it might be. It sounds as if it is somewhere under the viewfinder and above the mirror mechanism, yet when I put it in 'mirror up' or 'live view' mode, it stops whatever it is from sliding around but starts making a hesitant, grinding sound that I know cannot be normal, so, I guess it has something to do with the image stabilization motors.

I write this (my first post) in hopes of hearing any ideas or thoughts and to caution anyone considering a K5 at this point. Hopefully, this is just an isolated case and I am the only one experiencing this issue, I will keep the forum posted.

A thought just came to me... I will make a video clip of the problem camera (I think it will show up in the audio) with my Kx and make another post here including the clip. Perhaps that will be helpful to those more familiar with the construction of these cameras in making a guess as to what the problem might be.

Thanks for any input, and sorry to all those looking for yet another positive report about the K5.

I am sure after this is resolved, I will love the camera. That is, if the past several days of shooting are any indication. It has been a real pleasure getting to know this camera. After all, the K5 is much more capable than the Kx and the image quality is noticeably better (not by leaps and bounds though, the Kx does a rather nice job), so in the end I imagine I will stick with Pentax... I am not quite ready to jump ship yet and swim for Canikon shores

Last edited by oddshot; 11-11-2010 at 03:43 AM.
11-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by oddshot Quote
what could be so loose inside that wouldn't effect the operation of the camera
this question seems to come up at least once every fortnight. The answer is always that what you are hearing is the floating sensor moving about - you sure it's not that?

eg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/113349-2-first-...stions-kx.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/108097-loose-parts-my-k-7-body.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/86692-just-got-my-k-7-but.html

surprising you if you haven't encountered it with the Kx though....
11-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can you get your hands on another K-5 to compare them?
I'd try to substantiate the discrepency and then move to replace the camera asap.
Hope you get it resolved soon!
11-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
This is normal ?!

Ok... just found a couple posts about K7's with loose parts, but I am having a hard time believing the sounds I am hearing are normal, especially since it hasn't noticeable until today and then there is the awful grinding sound when in live view. My Kx does make a slight sound, but nothing like the K5 which actually goes 'clunk'. I would think, as with the sound of the shutter release, that if anything, the K5 should be quieter in all respects.

I was going to attach a video taken with my Kx, but I don't have a program to make it small enough to upload, perhaps later.

For now am prepared to be stupid here and learn from you more experienced Pentaxians that these sounds are normal, and if so, GREAT! I don't have to send the camera back and can keep enjoying taking pictures.

Thanks again for any input! And please forgive this newbie if all of you have cameras with loose innards that go CLUNK!

11-11-2010, 03:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Forgive me if I am double replying here (just sent a reply I thought)...

...Lexurian, I do notice a little sound in my Kx that is not dissimilar, but nothing like the slide-CLUNK sound the K5 is now making . I have been shooting with it a lot this week and haven't noticed the sound until tonight, strange I know... could it perhaps just now be getting broken in and has loosened up a little and so is more noticeable?... I am inexperienced with the way in-camera stabilization should sound...

JohnBee, no K5 nearby but great idea, perhaps when I go into the city I can compare with one at a camera shop.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by oddshot; 11-11-2010 at 03:18 AM.
11-11-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Perfectly normal and a "feature" of the Pentax SR-system.
11-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have both cameras and the K5 clunk is a little louder and more metallic as the sensor reaches the end of it's movement, it may be the result of the metal chassis having a less dampening effect on the sound.

I also get a sound in liveview in both cameras, being old I have to get the camera close to my ear to hear it. Not sure I would describe it as a grinding sound though it could be described as that. To me it's like waves on a seashore.

Your camera is fine,

11-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

NORMAL !

Why wont Pentax place a sticker on the camera,warning new users ?
11-11-2010, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frederick Quote
NORMAL !

Why wont Pentax place a sticker on the camera,warning new users ?
Because Adam said Pentax not to do so. Aren't you aware sensor shake brings a lot of newbies to the forum.
11-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Because Adam said Pentax not to do so. Aren't you aware sensor shake brings a lot of newbies to the forum.
Ha! So true; it worked on me!
11-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Not owning a K5 I may be out of line here, but here goes. When I use long exposures, on my Kx, I would get this crazy buzzing, and it felt like the guts were coming out of the camera. Only to find out, that I had left the anti shake on. Pentax says to make sure it is off when on a tripod and long exposure. I am about to get either a K7 or a K5, so please let us know what it is.
11-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
Not owning a K5 I may be out of line here, but here goes. When I use long exposures, on my Kx, I would get this crazy buzzing, and it felt like the guts were coming out of the camera. Only to find out, that I had left the anti shake on. Pentax says to make sure it is off when on a tripod and long exposure. I am about to get either a K7 or a K5, so please let us know what it is.
Use mirror lock up. It automatically disables SR.
11-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oddshot Quote
...NO, I didn't drop it... I just picked it up to go out and try some night shots and, "what the hell was that?!". Something is seriously loose and sliding back and forth inside the body of the camera. Either when moving the body side to side (gently shaking it) or when I move it from horizontal to vertical, as one would when switching from landscape to portrait. What ever part it is, it slides back and forth at least a 1/16" - 1/8" when rotating the camera... funny thing is though, it still is taking pictures fine as far as I can tell... what could be so loose inside that wouldn't effect the operation of the camera ???
I added to your reputation score for what I think is the most entertaining description of this feature. Maybe, Pentax uses it in their "Be Interesting" campaign
11-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Your camera is most likely fine. If you ever do have a problem in the future, however, continue to provide such detailed descriptions
11-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #15
Forum Member

Actually, I thought there was a warning about this on a small piece of paper when I unpacked my K-5, saying that this is "not a malfunction". I will check on this when I get home tonight if I can remember.

- Phil