Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Does it cover the full 4 axes, or only two, landscape and lateral?
(or is it a basic gyro-attitude meter like in cars/small aircraft?)
I understand the 3 axes; yaw, pitch and roll (x,y and z) but the fourth axis is said to be the dimension of time, does the K5 have a sensor for the 4th axis that can detect whether you're going forward in time or backward?

11-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waqas Quote
I understand the 3 axes; yaw, pitch and roll (x,y and z) but the fourth axis is said to be the dimension of time, does the K5 have a sensor for the 4th axis that can detect whether you're going forward in time or backward?
Touché. Good catch. Does 4, or should it be 5? "directions" make a better term? Left, right, forward, back, and oops!

Btw: DST wrecks concepts of time in some cameras twice a year anyway, for many. Does K-5 have a sensor to fix that?

.R.
11-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It handles pitch and yaw in both horizontal and vertical orientation.
Actually it handles pitch and roll (rotation about the forward/lens' axis). Yaw (rotation about the vertical axis) is pointless to keep track of unless you care if you're pointing N/W/S/E.
11-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Actually it handles pitch and roll (rotation about the forward/lens' axis). Yaw (rotation about the vertical axis) is pointless to keep track of unless you care if you're pointing N/W/S/E.
What I'd really like to know is; can it tell you accurate vertical lens axis orientation?

eg. I use that a lot, pointing direct down macro work (usually on tripod setup) and always have big hassles with getting tripod, precision macro rails, etc... right.

A good in-cam level could be a big help there - indispensable for handheld macro too if the viewfinder could indicate the true v-down/up plane.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-13-2010 at 01:36 AM.
11-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

What I'd really like to know is; can it tell you accurate vertical lens axis orientation?

eg. I use that a lot, pointing direct down macro work (usually on tripod setup) and always have big hassles with getting tripod, precision macro rails, etc... right.

A good in-cam level could be a big help there - indispensable for handheld macro too if the viewfinder could indicate the true v-down/up plane.

.R.
Unfortunately no, it is limited in its ability to detect pitch (rotation about the horizontal axis, that is pointing up/down). If the camera points up or down more than about 10-15 degrees, the level will "red out" and be useless after that.
11-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I hold K-7 in vertical position (i.e. the long side of viewfinder frame vertical), the LCD display is also vertical. I think Pentax scrap this feature in K-5 and therefore save a few grams in weight in K-5.
11-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Horizon correction

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I see that they have added a built in level to the K5. One of my pet peeves with my K10D is no matter how much I try to take a level photo, half of them come out crooked. I don't know why, they just do.

Is the level based on gravity or is it tied into the sensor's position somehow?
The level also provides for an automatic horizon adjust feature that will keep the sensor level even if the camera is slightly tilted. Probably a neat feature in some cases!

This feature is also available on the K-7 by the way.
11-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
When I hold K-7 in vertical position (i.e. the long side of viewfinder frame vertical), the LCD display is also vertical. I think Pentax scrap this feature in K-5 and therefore save a few grams in weight in K-5.
No, they did not remove this feature. The K-5's level (and the main status screen) will switch to vertical orientation if the camera is turned to vertical.

11-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It handles pitch and yaw in both horizontal and vertical orientation.
If your shoe mount level is actually accurate, keep it, you'll find it easier to use than switching the camera level on.
You can customize the raw button to activate the level, but then you lose the ability to use that button for a couple of things that I find more useful.
Love the level on the K-7 and K-5! I did not have any accuracy problem and I stopped using the hot-shoe level. The main point is that you can't use the hot-shoe level and look for the viewfinder, so unless you are shooting from a tripod, the built-in level is much better.

The K-5 has a 2-axis level while the K-7 had one. Unfortunately they do not show the second in the viewfinder, only on the rear LCD. It can be display in live-view mode too if you shoot that way.

- Itai
11-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waqas Quote
The K-5 likely only has a 2-axis sensor. Pitch and roll axes only (rotation about the two horizontal axes). I doubt there is a yaw sensor (rotation about a vertical axis) because it would not be used.

FWIW, a full spatial positioning sensor requires 6 axes -- 3 axes each for rotation and translation.

- Phil
11-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I really like the electronic level because I can't hold either my head or my cam level, therefore in the past 90% of my photos were crooked Now, thanks to the electronic level, 90% of them is level (I can still screw up the remaining 10% ).
11-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
m8o
Veteran Member

Did I miss the level within the viewfinder? I only see it on the rear LCD, making it kinda useless when one's eye is in the viewfinder; if I shift my eye from the viewfinder and back, I'm easily out of level by moving my eye back to the viewfinder. Help me understand why/how this is useful?
11-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Did I miss the level within the viewfinder? I only see it on the rear LCD, making it kinda useless when one's eye is in the viewfinder; if I shift my eye from the viewfinder and back, I'm easily out of level by moving my eye back to the viewfinder. Help me understand why/how this is useful?
If you are referring to K-5 here, that's optionally dependent in the VF; check out item 9 & 11 at the bottom of pages 35-36 in the e-manual.
Also pages 37, item 5 for optional E-level display in the top LCD panel.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-16-2010 at 08:18 PM.
11-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #29
m8o
Veteran Member

If you are referring to K-5 here, check out item 9 at the bottom of page 35 in the e-manual.
Well we are in the K-5 Forum section. Thanx for reminding me there's a manual and some RTFM'ing I need to do. I actually read the entire K10D manual; I need to re-acquire that level of patience here.
11-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
... some RTFM'ing I need to do. I actually read the entire K10D manual; I need to re-acquire that level of patience here.
You are indeed a patient man if you'd ever read a camera manual cover to cover.
I'd much prefer having Vogon poetry read to me -- and I still thank diety every day for giving us the magic of .Pdf and search keystrokes...

Enjoy all 383 pages of the K-5 one anyway, at least you'll sleep well that night after it.

.R.