Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Built in level on K-5

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I see that they have added a built in level to the K5. One of my pet peeves with my K10D is no matter how much I try to take a level photo, half of them come out crooked. I don't know why, they just do.

Is the level based on gravity or is it tied into the sensor's position somehow?

11-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that it uses accelerometer technology just like the iPod touch/iPhone/iPad.
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It bounces signals off the moon and triangulates with the Wailing Wall.
One of the fairly common faults on the K10 was the sensor being held ever so slightly off level.
OTOH, the level on the K7 is known to be slightly off as well.
Anyway, the level is gravity based, but whether the system is absolutely accurate will depend on the individual assembly of the camera.
11-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
OTOH, the level on the K7 is known to be slightly off as well.
Anyway, the level is gravity based, but whether the system is absolutely accurate will depend on the individual assembly of the camera.
Does it cover the full 4 axes, or only two, landscape and lateral?
(or is it a basic gyro-attitude meter like in cars/small aircraft?)

To be complete it would need to handle 8 in fact, for portrait position.
?

Or do we still have to keep our $5 clear resin hotshoe mount 3-bubble levels?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-11-2010 at 04:09 PM.
11-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I see that they have added a built in level to the K5. One of my pet peeves with my K10D is no matter how much I try to take a level photo, half of them come out crooked. I don't know why, they just do.

Is the level based on gravity or is it tied into the sensor's position somehow?
This is old news. Some early K10D had issues of the sensor being slightly misaligned.
11-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Does it cover the full 4 axes, or only two, landscape and lateral?
(or is it a basic gyro-attitude meter like in cars/small aircraft?)

To be complete it would need to handle 8 in fact, for portrait position.
?

.R.
It handles pitch and yaw in both horizontal and vertical orientation.
If your shoe mount level is actually accurate, keep it, you'll find it easier to use than switching the camera level on.
You can customize the raw button to activate the level, but then you lose the ability to use that button for a couple of things that I find more useful.
11-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Those are now 100% obsolete Pentax K 5 Features worth noting I - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unless the electronic level can be calibrated by the user, I have my doubts about its performance.

Seems a hotshoe bubble level is only as good as the hotshoe-sensor alignment, which I doubt is any better than the sensor-viewfinder alignment, and it seems not handy for hand-held shots.

Both my bodies have the Pentax tilt, so reaching for the Elements leveling tool is second nature, now.
11-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It handles pitch and yaw in both horizontal and vertical orientation.
If your shoe mount level is actually accurate, keep it, you'll find it easier to use than switching the camera level on.
You can customize the raw button to activate the level, but then you lose the ability to use that button for a couple of things that I find more useful.
Excellent. Sounds like they did the job pretty well.

Relief! We might not need to buy one of these essential-gadgets-to-sustain-life after all...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATTITUDE-GYRO-AIRCRAFT-METER-GAUGE-AVIATION-WATCH-/150518328553

Serious, I find the cheap resin block or button ones handy to glue to tripods and heads too. Mfgrs of those never seem to add enough or in the right places.

Any sign of lazer levels tech and sighting/distance gauge pointers in DSLRs yet?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-11-2010 at 07:19 PM.
11-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Never thought about testing the levels in the K-7 or K-5 but I have a bubble level in my tripod head so I'll test them tomorrow, I also have a laser level i'll try to.
11-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Unless the electronic level can be calibrated by the user, I have my doubts about its performance.

Seems a hotshoe bubble level is only as good as the hotshoe-sensor alignment, which I doubt is any better than the sensor-viewfinder alignment, and it seems not handy for hand-held shots.

Both my bodies have the Pentax tilt, so reaching for the Elements leveling tool is second nature, now.
The one in my K-5 is perfect- dead accurate!

The other K-5 we got had a faulty one (off by 3 degrees to the left), and Pentax repair said that "it can be fixed via software, but we aren't able to do it yet". So we just sent back the body instead of getting it fixed.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

rather difficult to know if your point of reference is off... i guess the horizon at the ocean is probably the only true test
11-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
Forum Member

The neat thing about an electronic level is that in theory it can be zeroed to agree with the sensor orientation. So any sensor-misalignment may be taken out of the equation. I hope this is what they do in the factory. Mine at least was bang on as far as I have seen (within 0.5 degrees anyway).

- Phil
11-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #14

tested mine today with bubble level and it was accurate
11-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
rather difficult to know if your point of reference is off... i guess the horizon at the ocean is probably the only true test
All you've got to do is put your camera on a level surface, check the reading, and then rotate it 180 degrees. If the readings aren't the same, then your level is inaccurate. Otherwise, they're kosher!

Adam