Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Change, please, the buffer size for K-5 with new firmware.

11-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Change, please, the buffer size for K-5 with new firmware.
Is this what you were looking for:

Firmware 1.01 now available for download! posted on 11-18-10 in Pentax News
Pentax has recently launched the rumored firmware update for the K-5 on their Japanese web site. The download is available to all K-5 users:

Download Pentax K-5 Firmware v1.01 for Windows
Download Pentax K-5 Firmware v1.01 for Mac
This update increases the K-5's continuous shooting buffer for RAW files from 8 to up to 22 frames. It also introduces minor stability fixes.

Read more at: The Largest Pentax Camera & Photography Forum - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com Home

Or did you want a still larger buffer size?

JP
12-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #18

typo on HD video resolution for the K-5, should be 1920x1080, not 1960x1080
12-28-2010, 02:44 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Hi I currently have a Pentax K100D and am thinking of upgrading to the K-r but not sure I should go all the way to the K-5. Any suggestions about the differences and whether the K5 is worth almost double the Kr - i am a uni lecturer in Medieval History and one of the features of the K100D i used a lot was the museum mode and not sure this is on the K5 but appears to be on the Kr. Would appreciate any comments, I am a good amateur Chris (Australia)

12-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by cjas Quote
Hi I currently have a Pentax K100D and am thinking of upgrading to the K-r but not sure I should go all the way to the K-5. Any suggestions about the differences and whether the K5 is worth almost double the Kr - i am a uni lecturer in Medieval History and one of the features of the K100D i used a lot was the museum mode and not sure this is on the K5 but appears to be on the Kr. Would appreciate any comments, I am a good amateur Chris (Australia)
I'm not sure what museum mode entails but I would mainly guess it corrects the white balance for indoor shots and runs a higher ISO? All this can easily be done with either camera in manual mode anyway. As an archaeologist, I have a K7 (bought a few months before I heard about the K5!?) so I like the weather-proofing and build quality as I always seem to be banging around somewhere wet & rainy. Prevalent wisdom says buy a decent body and spend more on good lenses as the bodies are constantly changing. The K5 has a higher burst rate so if you're serious about shooting wildlife for example, that's a plus. The higher pixels won't make a huge difference unless you are doing big enlargements and I find the K7 has a fair bit of noise past ISO 200 but I always underexpose a bit so no wonder. There is actually a 'used' K5 on ebay in Australia at the moment but don't know if it is a 'deal' or not? cheers there...
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #21

Good afternoon any and all. I have recently begun the process of researching to upgrade my body. I am looking at either the K-7 or possibly the K-5. Is the K-5 really worth almost twice the price? Any feedback welcome.
02-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by TricitheDici Quote
Good afternoon any and all. I have recently begun the process of researching to upgrade my body. I am looking at either the K-7 or possibly the K-5. Is the K-5 really worth almost twice the price? Any feedback welcome.
K-5 if you can afford it otherwise K-x and K-r and get some good glass. I love having the option of shooting high ISO with good performance. K-7 easily gets beat by the ones I mentioned.

03-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #23

Also considering the K5/K7 with a 50mm f1.4 prime, so it would be better to get the K-x or K-R rather than the K7 if I dont get the K5? (if that makes sense!)
03-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #24

Unless you need the weather-sealed body of the K-7, I'd chose the K-x and K-r without a doubt for better high iso performance and more bang for your buck. You can still get a 50mm f1.4 prime for those bodies...For the same price as a used K-7 say around $650-700, you can get a K-r 2 lens kit with the 18-55mm and 50-200mm for around $700 on Adorama, B&H and Amazon.
06-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #25

Hello guys!
I have wondered whether to upgrade from my K-x to K-5 or not... read read, comparison... a LOT of research.
I just got my K-5 and wow... its incomparable. Not just IQ, in my opinion is way better, but the full aspect, what a camera! I totally recommend for those stuck on this question, like i was.
07-21-2011, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #26

K-5, K-7, K-r, K-x

Klack klack :-)

Last edited by goodpics; 08-09-2011 at 10:33 PM.
07-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #27
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 purchase indefinitely postponed - too many issues... And now the schizophrenic mirror flop issue - not to mention the clueless manner in which Pentax is handling it - has sacked my confidence in this camera once and for all.

I'll stick with my reliable workhorse, the K-7.
08-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
K-5 purchase indefinitely postponed - too many issues... And now the schizophrenic mirror flop issue - not to mention the clueless manner in which Pentax is handling it - has sacked my confidence in this camera once and for all.

I'll stick with my reliable workhorse, the K-7.
A lot of happy K-5 owners will disagree with you - and with me, because I also decided to put off purchasing the K-5 for the very same reason. I've been picking up a few lenses instead - I recently added the DA 21mm Limited and the D FA macro 100mm to my kit, which is fairly extensive already. Either a DA 70 or DA 15 may be next. But I wonder... given the relative reliability of the K-7 and the fact that I can pick up a left-over body from B&H for $799 (the three-year extended Pentax warranty for the K-7 is only $9.99!) I wonder if it might make a decent replacement or supplement for my K200D for a while?

Many complain about the K-7's high ISO performance... but is it better, worse or the same as the K200D at 1600? And how much better is the autofocus performance over the K200D? And how much better is AF with the K-5 vs. the K-7?
08-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
A lot of happy K-5 owners will disagree with you - and with me, because I also decided to put off purchasing the K-5 for the very same reason. I've been picking up a few lenses instead - I recently added the DA 21mm Limited and the D FA macro 100mm to my kit, which is fairly extensive already. Either a DA 70 or DA 15 may be next. But I wonder... given the relative reliability of the K-7 and the fact that I can pick up a left-over body from B&H for $799 (the three-year extended Pentax warranty for the K-7 is only $9.99!) I wonder if it might make a decent replacement or supplement for my K200D for a while?

Many complain about the K-7's high ISO performance... but is it better, worse or the same as the K200D at 1600? And how much better is the autofocus performance over the K200D? And how much better is AF with the K-5 vs. the K-7?
The K200D should have slightly better high-iso performance as it's got a CCD, but its resolution is also lower...

AF performance should be the same as that of the K-7.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #30

Hi All

I know it has been beat around but I am not sure which route to take. I am upgrading from a K10 to either a K7 or K5. I can get a good deal on the 7 but am still considering the 5. To be honest the 5 is a stretch financially. I know people have said go with the KX or KR but I definitely need weather proofing. As well I need a camera that can take good pics inside at martial arts tournaments. I know this is where the K5 shines but I have a fast lens and can get away with fairly decent speeds at ISO 800. I guess my question would be is there enough of a difference in picture quality in the 5 at ISO 800 or 1600 to warrant spending the extra?

Tks
John