Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Aw c'mon. Next thing you'll be expecting is Faux News to report objectively.

When Rupert tells you his media is more impartial than other sources then what more objective cred do you need "to believe..."?

Surely it's time that people realised that, without exception, all News & Reviews websites are only another form of vested interest and celebrity-status seeking journalism whose sole purpose is to ploy their crafty wordsmith panderings to a target segment of desperate & lonelies who need to be told how to think and have their prejudices rearranged and emotions-strings pulled by exactly what they want to hear & see.

The old religious preachers and traveling snake-oil peddlers of centuries ago were the foundations of all this leading-the-sheeple-by-the-nose shit.

.R.
WTF does Fox News or Rupert's media sources have to do with any of this? I Expect Nothing From Anyone. That way, I'm Never disappointed. If you have an axe to grind with the news shows, go over to the P&R forum to do it, or better yet, Contact Them.

11-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #62
Pentaxian

The sad thing is dpreview is where most photographers get their camera reviews (I know I did!).

I agree that they're either very ignorant or somehow biased - neither of which is comforting.
11-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #63
Veteran Member

The K-5 image looks the worse followed by the D7000, I noticed this fact from the get go.
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
d7000 has a yellow cast too, makes me wonder if its the camera or the testers messing up the white balance.
Nikon's have always leaned more towards the warm side.

11-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #65
Veteran Member

DPreview lost all credibility with me quite some time ago. It's very easy to lie with stastics, so I make my decisions upon a wide range of images and testamonials from actual users. Some of it may be bias, but in general I think these lab guys should get out more and actually take some pictures.
11-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #66
rm2

DPR's R Butler just posted a response.
11-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Does this mean that DP will trash the K-5?
Will I get the K-5 on the cheap because of this in the near future?

Ray
11-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #68

Is DPR biased against Nikon too?

The D7000 samples I checked all got a full stop less exposure than the corresponding K-5 samples.

I'm going to go against the trend in this thread. I do not believe that the DPR reviews are intentionally biased to make Canon cameras look better. I can't prove that, but I have been reading reviews there for 7 years (someone, anyone, please help me), and I just don't see it. The biases and preferences of the reviewers do show up in the summary pages, but there's no master plan. I actually think that they try to do good, objective testing.

Maybe I am naive.

Jeff

11-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
I also posted a response.
BTW. I've gotten into it with them before on a similar issue(testing methods). And they canned my account for calling them biased. So this time, I held off on the historical references in favor of the now(even though I know better).

TBH. There's only one thing question that truly matters here.
And that is: Will DPreview make a move to make things right?

And so far, they seem to be sticking to their ground in keeping the testing paramaters right where they are. Which incidentally suites their needs just fine.

TBH. Behavior like this just screams that people could use a real none-biased digital camera review service to lean on. This one has been known as a tainted source for far too long imo.
11-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
The D7000 samples I checked all got a full stop less exposure than the corresponding K-5 samples.

I'm going to go against the trend in this thread. I do not believe that the DPR reviews are intentionally biased to make Canon cameras look better. I can't prove that, but I have been reading reviews there for 7 years (someone, anyone, please help me), and I just don't see it. The biases and preferences of the reviewers do show up in the summary pages, but there's no master plan. I actually think that they try to do good, objective testing.

Maybe I am naive.

Jeff

I am also reading reviews their for same amount of time and i can tell you that i have noticed bias many times mostly pro canon.

It is the way reviewer word his review. If i have time i think i can point many such instances. Give you one example. One of the sony cam which had fps around 3.9 reviewer said that it was too slow and he listed this as con. Well just after 2 months i think he reviewed canon in similar class that had fps around 3.5. Now that too slow fps on sony that the same reviewer could not stand was someone fine on canon.

Another example, dual memory slot on sony cams was listed as con when none of the other manufacturers offered dual memory slot. Now this has become feature and listed as pro in reviews.

There are many example. I find it strange that you can not see.
11-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #71
Site Supporter

Maybe the recent announcement of Pentax Forums vs. DP Review regarding "links" will have some effects?
See the Homepage: The Largest Pentax Camera & Photography Forum - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com Home ... "A Reluctant Decision".

JP
11-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #72
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Maybe the recent announcement of Pentax Forums vs. DP Review regarding "links" will have some effects?
See the Homepage: The Largest Pentax Camera & Photography Forum - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com Home ... "A Reluctant Decision".

JP
Wow...Just wow...they are something. :ugh:
11-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #73

DPR is just one source

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote

There are many example. I find it strange that you can not see.
It's not that I haven't seen bias or preference. I'm just not convinced that it is orchestrated. In any case, they are just one source of information and whatever they say can be crosschecked against others. I give the most credence to user feedback on sites like this one.

Jeff
11-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #74
Site Supporter

So glad I found this thread! I needed the reassurance I found here. You see, I had just got through looking at the compairson on the DPreview site. Not Pretty.
I also agree that using the same lens on each of the subjects would be a more accurate test.
I noticed that the lens description for 50mm lens used, between the Canon D60 and D50 were different. Don't know if they were actually different, or someone didn't type in the EF designation for the C. D60.
Thanks
Edith
11-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't say I like the way DPR approaches its whole review process in general. Plus, I don't see how any review site that is owned by one of the largest retailers of camera can truly be trusted for its objectivity, but then again most other review websites make money from advertisements, generally of cameras. But the sad part is they're still better than most "reviews" out there.

As to the lens issue, some time ago (I cannot remember if it was after the K20 or the K7 DPR review), people on that site also complained about the FA50 usage. One of the editors did respond that they had also tested the D-FA50 macro and its results were not any better, hence they used the FA50. I too think they must use the same third-party lens--it's just good sense. Since they've always been geared towards the 50mm setup, why not the Sigma 50mm macro? Cheap, easy, fair.
I think the reason they use such a high aperture generally is that, as you can see, they are not very good about getting the exact right focus, and this gives them more margin for error. But come on, shoot the same aperture for them all.