Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #106
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Uh? What are you raving about? I don't see any of that rubbish.

I suggest you take up your problem with the advertiser, or better still, ask some 10yr old kid to install & configure a web browser properly for you. No rocket science involved. Really.

.R.
Have you settled your beef with Fox News Yet?

11-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Man I like this website I found in this forum:

DxOMark - Compare sensors

As you can see the K-5 beats the hell out of the 60D in lower light. I would think by just stopping down your aperture in the Pentax f/1.4 lens by a stop or two you would achieve the same result. (I'm not even considering if the results were tweaked in favor of Canon.) So it seems to me that a faster lens would be necessary for the 60D under certain conditions if had to compete with the K-5.

I'm certain I could find weaknesses in some lenses with Canon and Nikon. An example would be 55-300mm or 70-300mm lenses from Canon, Nikon, and Pentax. The Pentax 55-300mm can produce images that look like they came from a prime lens at 300mm. I don't think Canon or the Nikon versions of this lens are as sharp as the Pentax version.

Last edited by traderdrew; 11-14-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: More info
11-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Have you settled your beef with Fox News Yet?

I'm so glad you asked. Yes indeed, many many years ago actually, I exported the source of the sewage to your soil.

I do wish you people would wake up and plug it to stop it leaking so profusely though.
But at least it's NIMBY for me.

.R.

---------- Post added 2010-11-15 at 06:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
As you can see the K-5 beats the hell out of the 60D in lower light. I would think by just stopping down your aperture in the Pentax f/1.4 lens by a stop or two you would achieve the same result. (I'm not even considering if the results were tweaked in favor of Canon.) So it seems to me that a faster lens would be necessary for the 60D under certain conditions if had to compete with the K-5.
Yep but wouldn't you agree that it would be up to 60D owner/buyers to provide lenses, whatever.. to their particular photographic needs?

Now to be honest I really don't think they'd care that a Pentax was this or that. Let's face it, the two cameras are in totally different leagues and target marketspace. 60D is actually a new age, divergence by Canon w/ strong focus to video prosumers.

In fact as I see it, the Nikon D7000 is Canon's fierce competitor there. Now there's another vid-boy-toy seeking $$$ attention from upwardly mobile deep pockets in twenty-eleven.

So perhaps what yourself, and others here, are really considering (indirectly anyway), in this "shootout" equation is not in fact poor old dp's spin on 60D but the calibre of its venerable upmarket brother, 7D. Maybe, huh?

Although many differences exist, fair enough, but surely K-5 could be considered to give 7D a decent run for the money, overall, weighed up on balance.

Would ye agree, yea or nay?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-14-2010 at 12:20 PM.
11-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #109

That is why I plan on buying a K5 is that it is good equip. and the bum rap they have gotten for years, I have been using Pentax 35mm Film cams since 1961 and I still have 53 roll in the frig. I will stay true two Pentax for ever no mater what Nik&Can come out with. My K1000 still works like a new cam.
Rick

11-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Clark Quote
That is why I plan on buying a K5 is that it is good equip. and the bum rap they have gotten for years, I have been using Pentax 35mm Film cams since 1961 and I still have 53 roll in the frig. I will stay true two Pentax for ever no mater what Nik&Can come out with. My K1000 still works like a new cam.
Rick
Onya Rick. The Hoya black helicopter spies love reading loyalty sagas like yours.
They might even give you a free bus ticket to buy that new K-5.

Welcome to the madhouse Btw. And don't worry, it only ever gets worse.

.R.
11-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #111

Thanks and have a good day yourself :-)
11-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #112
Veteran Member

I'm just catching up with what's happened over the weekend, and I am absolutely and utterly shocked at what I've seen across the internet on all the forums since the DPR results came out.

Some of you need to be ashamed of yourselves for behaving like petulant children and spouting general nonsense. The same can be said for those over on the forums at DPR - this is no attack on any brand; Canon, Nikon, Sony or Pentax; this is about the attitude of grown men behaving like spoiled kids. Then, I read about DPR links being banned from here, and DPR banning PF links - the pair of you need to sort it out like men. I feel absolutely embarrassed for both of you. You're accusing DPR of bias, but you're just as bad over here spreading myth and inaccuracies about other brands (see the bottom of my post for such an example).

The level of over-analysis, pixel peeping and whining that has come out of that DPR review is begger's belief. At the end of the day, these camera bodies produce excellent images REGARDLESS of what the review says. Why do you all care so much? It only serves to concrete people's prejudice that us Pentax owners are vehement, over-zealous fanboys; it doesn't do us any justice whatsoever.

I don't give a toss what shortcomings my K20D has, I couldn't care less that my 7D doesn't have an ISO range over 12800, I don't give a flying monkey that the K-5 samples looked "a little bit soft" in the DPR review - noone is going to tell me that my equipment is inferior because *I* am the photographer and the results that I get out of my Canon and Pentax equipment make me happy. There is such minute differences between the three cameras in the review that it really doesn't make an iota of a difference other than the bruising of egos.

What the hell happened to some of you? Call yourselves photographers? A lot of you care more for paper statistics than getting out in the world and putting together a portfolio of excellent work. It's getting very, very boring to read.

I think I need some time out from both here and DPR and return purely to Flickr where I can be with like minded people who discuss photography. It's been a sad couple of days for photography, I bid you all the very best.

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
An example would be 55-300mm or 70-300mm lenses from Canon, Nikon, and Pentax. The Pentax 55-300mm can produce images that look like they came from a prime lens at 300mm. I don't think Canon or the Nikon versions of this lens are as sharp as the Pentax version.
One last thing; this statement is incorrect. Go to Photozone, check the MTF graphs.

11-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #113
Inactive Account

Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? How Dare YOU presume to tell anyone, especially the web owners, How to behave or not.
11-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Big G: that's harsh...
Pentaxforums banning DPReview links, I was surprised about it too. But read this:
A Reluctant Decision - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
OK, that's only one point of view, but DPReview started censoring links to other sites ages ago; what Adam said in that article sounds plausible to me.

We care because it isn't fair. Because reputable review sites should be useful tools with which we could make purchase decisions, find out how our equipment should work and so on. We care because that is the most well-known site, their words does hold weight regardless of the excellent images one could provide. (Sorry if I'm out of line, by saying "we" instead of "I". Is just that I don't think I'm alone, in this)

And after all that "I don't care about DPReview" you're telling someone to go to Photozone? In the end, review sites does matter, eh?
11-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Big G: that's harsh...
Pentaxforums banning DPReview links, I was surprised about it too. But read this:
A Reluctant Decision - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
OK, that's only one point of view, but DPReview started censoring links to other sites ages ago; what Adam said in that article sounds plausible to me.

We care because it isn't fair. Because reputable review sites should be useful tools with which we could make purchase decisions, find out how our equipment should work and so on. We care because that is the most well-known site, their words does hold weight regardless of the excellent images one could provide. (Sorry if I'm out of line, by saying "we" instead of "I". Is just that I don't think I'm alone, in this)

And after all that "I don't care about DPReview" you're telling someone to go to Photozone? In the end, review sites does matter, eh?
+1 to that .
11-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote

Some of you need to be ashamed of yourselves for behaving like petulant children and spouting general nonsense. The same can be said for those over on the forums at DPR - this is no attack on any brand; Canon, Nikon, Sony or Pentax; this is about the attitude of grown men behaving like spoiled kids. Then, I read about DPR links being banned from here, and DPR banning PF links - the pair of you need to sort it out like men. I feel absolutely embarrassed for both of you. You're accusing DPR of bias, but you're just as bad over here spreading myth and inaccuracies about other brands (see the bottom of my post for such an example).
Lets first fix one thing that many of us here are not children we are grown men. Once that fact is fixed.

1. We are not accusing DPR of bias. What we are doing is discussing what we think of DPR by reading their reviews for many years. These two are two different things.

I have told exact same thing to Phil (owner of DPR) and on occasions i have told it to simon (one of their reviewer). Now this is accusing of bias but i indeed told them upfront.

2. About 'spouting general nonsense' , i think general nonsense is something like your post. You have just ranted off here. If you had any point you could have taken few points made in this thread and showed us that they are wrong.
But the fact is those points are not baseless and mindless as your rant.
11-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Zoom lenses

QuoteQuote:
One last thing; this statement is incorrect. Go to Photozone, check the MTF graphs.
It does appear that I am wrong on this point but interestingly enough, (I have done research on this before but not on Photozone) I have found research on the net that says the Canon and Nikon versions of these lenses begins to get soft at over 200mm.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

"Stopping down improves sharpness somewhat but it is still weakest at 300mm."

As for the Nikon version, I still have this lens. Maybe I have a bad copy of it because 50% crops from this lens are a bit soft.

I have seen great quality images from the Pentax version in the photogallery.com and sample images on this forum.

I for one am not upset at DPreview. They can do what they want and you can say what you want. Forums are forums and tension seems to be associated with all different types of them whereever I have posted across the net. I am just trying to understand where everyone is coming from.
11-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #118

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I find it VERY ironic and even somewhat funny, that at the top of that explanation appears an Ads By Google link to---- You guessed it.
lol. +1
11-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Big G is right in one respect: this not an issue about IQ of one camera vs another, and I think posters who have made it such are off the topic. The issue is reciprocal allowing of URL linking. Adam has make a decision based on his perceived sense of injustice and has every right to do so. Right or wrong, I see no reason to vilify the one who is the aggrieved party, particularly if has made representations to the other over a period of time.
11-15-2010, 05:21 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Big G is right in one respect: this not an issue about IQ of one camera vs another, and I think posters who have made it such are off the topic. The issue is reciprocal allowing of URL linking.
Actually if you go back to the very beginning of the thread, you'll see that it IS about IQ, and how the original poster suspected that DPR was slanting the test to present the IQ of the 60D in a more positive light. The DPR URL linking issue is actually off-topic. Not that it really matters, but just thought I would point that out.