Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrKrochmal Quote
But I what to show you by this topic, that today's sensors, could almost capture photos in better way .
It was excellent examples of both, thanks for posting the useful demonstration Piotr.

But you reminded me too, of why I lust for a Samyang 8.FE, and that was cruel!

.R.

11-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Staffan Quote
To a large extent I agree with JP. And you can apply the Nik Software Viveza plug-in for PS and other photo editors, which really has changed photography for me. With that plug-in you can easily (avoiding a lot of layer work in PS) keep the better lower part of the first picture but change the sky of that picture to be more similar to the one of the second photo. This is an alternative about halfway between the two pictures and would be the ideal thing as I see it.
Interesting.
This almost seems like an automatic gradient tool.
I am going to check it out, "out of curiosity".

Cheers,

JP
11-15-2010, 03:19 AM   #18

If the DNG has no blown highlights and the shadows have enough detail, which seems to be the case, than these images just show a different tone-mapping of the same range.

With a DR of 14.1EV, the K-5 files really can be used as HDR files.
A K-7 bracketed -2 0 +2 shot has a DR of 14.6, only half a stop more than a single shot k-5 file.

Here's an example:

original

adjusted dng

exporting to sRGB jpg, destroying the dynamic and tonal range, and trying to recover from the jpg

Last edited by Beau; 11-18-2010 at 08:11 AM.
11-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Beautiful shoot!

11-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Beautiful shoot!
Thanks
11-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrKrochmal Quote
Here is an example of what can be obtained from a single photo Versus HDR 5 images: -4 -2 0 2 4 EV.
Technical Description:
DNG by LR 3.2
HDR by PMP 4.0,
as a single picture I took -2EV photo.
Samyang 8mm ISO 80, f/10
If you want to compare results you have to make match the brightest exposure, i.e., you have to shhot at -4EV in this case. On web-sized photos, the results should be equal if you handled the software properly. If the software can't process properly, you can still export 5 TIFFs with 0 ... +8EV exposure boost (PS supports up to 20EV while ACR only supports 4, so, do the steps above 4 in PS and set black clipping to zero. Moreover, you may try to set brightness, contrast and level curve to zero.

Personally, I don't like the strong HDR effect and I am just fine with -2EV offset. I like the first image better too.
11-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That isnt a HDR its a compressed dynamic range jpg. A HDR can only be read by special software that allows you to adjust the exposure. They are really useful in 3d graphics for lighting.

IMO Compressed dynamic range jpg's are generally horrible, like this one is.

Interesting comparison though

11-16-2010, 05:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
That isnt a HDR its a compressed dynamic range jpg. A HDR can only be read by special software that allows you to adjust the exposure.
HDR probably is one of the most confusingly defined terms around. What you are referring to is the HDR file format flavour (which sometimes is called extended dynamic range or EXR to complete the confusion)

Personally, I have decided that I can accept the term HDR with anything which involves a number greater than 8
11-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
If you want to compare results you have to make match the brightest exposure, i.e., you have to shhot at -4EV in this case.
Why? If you have no clipped highlights in the -2, the -2 is better as it will have more shadow detail you can lift. The single shot will always be a compromise, either you have less shadow detail or you have clipped highlights.

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
That isnt a HDR its a compressed dynamic range jpg. A HDR can only be read by special software that allows you to adjust the exposure. They are really useful in 3d graphics for lighting.

IMO Compressed dynamic range jpg's are generally horrible, like this one is.

Interesting comparison though
Of course it's a tone-mapped HDR file but IMHO, a 14bit DNG is a HDR file as its range exceeds the range of a monitor and has to be tone-mapped too. How it looks just depends on the tone-mapping.
11-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Beau Quote
Why? If you have no clipped highlights in the -2, the -2 is better as it will have more shadow detail you can lift. The single shot will always be a compromise, either you have less shadow detail or you have clipped highlights.
For everyday shooting you may be right. The scene contrast doesn't always exceed 12 or even 8 stops. But you wanted to study how much of an HDR headroom you can recover from a single K-5 shot. And if the sun didn't clip your highlights, you must be from another planet

EDIT:
Sorry, the comment was for the OP's image. YOur image is just great. And you didn't attempt a side by side comparison, so everything is perfect.

Last edited by falconeye; 11-16-2010 at 10:45 AM.
11-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beau that is a perfect example of what can be done with DR and why someone might want it in the real world. Its also the best example of its use in the real world that I have seen so far, thank you.

To get this shot would be impossible without dynamic range, you cannot use a grad filter because of the lighthouse and you cannot use multi shot hdr because of the moving waves.

You could just blow the sky of course, or you could photoshop a new sky onto the waves...
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #27

In built HDR at K-5 is not a real HDR application. I can call it pseudo HDR only. Because a real HDR must be at least made of 3 or 5 frames with ev differences about 1,5 or 2 in between each. Than dedicated softwares like Photomatix combine these frames to built a real HDR photo. I love HDR photography but I think I'll never make use of in built HDR application at K-5. An example of areal HDR that I've made with my new K-5, only 5 days old

11-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cem.kumuk Quote
In built HDR at K-5 is not a real HDR application. I can call it pseudo HDR only. Because a real HDR must be at least made of 3 or 5 frames with ev differences about 1,5 or 2 in between each. Than dedicated softwares like Photomatix combine these frames to built a real HDR photo. I love HDR photography but I think I'll never make use of in built HDR application at K-5. An example of areal HDR that I've made with my new K-5, only 5 days old
cem.kumuk, well done. Could you post that same photo, processed as a normal photo, just for comparison?
11-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
cem.kumuk, well done. Could you post that same photo, processed as a normal photo, just for comparison?
With pleasure... I'll upload original 3 frames converted from RAW to JPEG. The HDR is made of combination of these 3 frames in Photomatix pro3.

11-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you!
I'm becoming more and more intrigued by HDR. I've never been much of a fan, but the photos in this thread are turning me around.