Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Link, must have. Please, thanks
Check out pricepinx. Or do a search for shopping extensions for Chrome or Firefox. There are a bunch that will search for a lower price when you are on a product page.

11-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Well I did it.

Well after spending 30 minutes last night trying to control the sky noise in this picture (taken with my K10D), I broke down and ordered at K5. The K10D has served me well but I'm pushing its limits when it comes to accurate focusing and the occasional lightening of dark areas of photos.

It turned out that Buy.Com charges sales tax in California so I went with B&H (linked through this forum). Maybe I could have saved a few dollars elsewhere but I've been very happy with B&H in the past so by Wednesday I'll be celebrating.

Groucho, thank you for your response above regarding Buy.Com and FatWallet. Much appreciated!
Bob
11-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Come on; think about us poor guys in Ontario (just a little north) with 13% tax and higher local prices and relax...
I do, then I think about the people about as close, in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc, who don't have any tax from buy.com.

All I know is that, now that I've ordered, they'll announce a rebate on Monday!

bats, I assume there's some Photoshopping going in with the lighthouse rays? That's a pretty nice shot!
11-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bats Quote
Well after spending 30 minutes last night trying to control the sky noise in this picture (taken with my K10D), I broke down and ordered at K5. The K10D has served me well but I'm pushing its limits when it comes to accurate focusing and the occasional lightening of dark areas of photos.

It turned out that Buy.Com charges sales tax in California so I went with B&H (linked through this forum). Maybe I could have saved a few dollars elsewhere but I've been very happy with B&H in the past so by Wednesday I'll be celebrating.

Groucho, thank you for your response above regarding Buy.Com and FatWallet. Much appreciated!
Bob
Amazing shot! Yeah the light rays, are those edited in or did it come out that awesome?

11-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Why are you hoarding? Share with the rest of the class.

Read this thread and see how one member singlehandedly killed a fantastic deal. Withholding info is almost required now if you wish to grab a great deal.
11-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
Site Supporter

So, if I were to wait on getting the K-5, what sort of price drops should I expect to see over, say, the next 6 months or 1 year?
11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
bats, I assume there's some Photoshopping going in with the lighthouse rays? That's a pretty nice shot!
Amazing shot! Yeah the light rays, are those edited in or did it come out that awesome?
Thanks :-) Those are for real - exactly what the naked eye saw. There was enough moisture in the air at the annual lighting of the Pigeon Point Lighthouse that the beams reflected brightly in the sky. And for the first 5 minutes of the lighting, the lighthouse keeper did not rotate the beams, so if you worked quickly you could capture the rays in a long exposure.

Photoshop was used only for white balance, curves, noise reduction, and clarity.
11-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Read this thread and see how one member singlehandedly killed a fantastic deal. Withholding info is almost required now if you wish to grab a great deal.
What I found is certainly not remotely as great of a deal as in that thread. Heck, it's not as good of a deal as buy.com minus cashback, but it's the cheapest price I was able to find, and there's no NYS tax. Anyone who spends a little bit of time doing some searching could find the same thing.

Last edited by Groucho; 11-14-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: fixed typo
11-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Hmmm I am wodering if I should let it fall below this deals price or should I go for it now...Did the K20D and K7 go down fast?
11-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Good question. But, regardless of the K20 and K7, what do we think is likely to happen with the K-5? Might its price curve over time develop differently than previous models?

Any ideas?
11-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bats Quote
Thanks :-) Those are for real - exactly what the naked eye saw. There was enough moisture in the air at the annual lighting of the Pigeon Point Lighthouse that the beams reflected brightly in the sky. And for the first 5 minutes of the lighting, the lighthouse keeper did not rotate the beams, so if you worked quickly you could capture the rays in a long exposure.

Photoshop was used only for white balance, curves, noise reduction, and clarity.
That is really amazing - great shot and timing!

Hmmm I am wodering if I should let it fall below this deals price or should I go for it now...Did the K20D and K7 go down fast?
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Good question. But, regardless of the K20 and K7, what do we think is likely to happen with the K-5? Might its price curve over time develop differently than previous models?

Any ideas?
FWIW, I posted in another thread the following:
I actually ordered my K-7 on 9/27/09 (around 2.5 months after release) for $1,147, versus the retail of $1,300. (Minus 2% cashback from NewEgg, and the "normal" price was about $1,200 minus a $50 sale on all DSLRs.) That's about 12% off retail in under three months. If the K-5 had a similar drop, we'd see prices around $1,400 in a couple months.

The K-5 has been available for close to a month now and if you count cashback, you can get it for over $150 off retail - and I paid $150 off for my K-7 after 2.5 months. Percentage-wise, it's not as good of a discount, but I talked myself into it as I am shooting my sister-in-law's wedding this weekend and the ISO and DR will certainly help. (My order is "in the warehouse" so hopefully I'll have a tracking number soon!)

I think it was a little bit of time before the K-7 prices took big drops. Maybe another $100 after a few months. When it was released, it got lots of credit for the build and ergonomics and functionality but was trashed somewhat for the sensor's lack of IQ improvement over the K20D. With the K-5, we're seeing extremely positive buzz with no weak areas to speak of, so I could see the price not dropping too quickly.

On the other hand, it's still being priced vs the D7000, and it's 33% more expensive. It will be interesting to see what happens when the D400 (or whatever it's called) is released - Nikon may have the same issues when they want people to spend $1,800-$2k for that over the D7000. The K-5 should fare well in this comparison - by then, its price will have dropped a bit, and the D400 is unlikely to beat the K-5 in any IQ measurements, build quality, sealing, etc... it'll probably have slightly faster fps and fancier AF, but both of those will be much, much closer than in the D300/K20D days.

Meanwhile, feel pity for the poor Olympus shooters - their new body of choice is the E-5 for $1,700, which the K-5 can easily trounce in just about every category, and the prospect of no new lenses for their system ever. Similarly, it will be interesting to see how Sony's A700 replacement with this sensor is priced (if such a thing ever appears, or if they'll just keep churning out Best-Buy-friendly consumer models.)
11-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Dunn and Rundle in Vancouver have it for 1428.99 CDN + 24.95 Shipping in canada (not sure on US shipping. For those of us in Ontario I know Henry's will match them and you can walk out with the camera
11-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
That is really amazing - great shot and timing!

FWIW, I posted in another thread the following:
I actually ordered my K-7 on 9/27/09 (around 2.5 months after release) for $1,147, versus the retail of $1,300. (Minus 2% cashback from NewEgg, and the "normal" price was about $1,200 minus a $50 sale on all DSLRs.) That's about 12% off retail in under three months. If the K-5 had a similar drop, we'd see prices around $1,400 in a couple months.

The K-5 has been available for close to a month now and if you count cashback, you can get it for over $150 off retail - and I paid $150 off for my K-7 after 2.5 months. Percentage-wise, it's not as good of a discount, but I talked myself into it as I am shooting my sister-in-law's wedding this weekend and the ISO and DR will certainly help. (My order is "in the warehouse" so hopefully I'll have a tracking number soon!)

I think it was a little bit of time before the K-7 prices took big drops. Maybe another $100 after a few months. When it was released, it got lots of credit for the build and ergonomics and functionality but was trashed somewhat for the sensor's lack of IQ improvement over the K20D. With the K-5, we're seeing extremely positive buzz with no weak areas to speak of, so I could see the price not dropping too quickly.

On the other hand, it's still being priced vs the D7000, and it's 33% more expensive. It will be interesting to see what happens when the D400 (or whatever it's called) is released - Nikon may have the same issues when they want people to spend $1,800-$2k for that over the D7000. The K-5 should fare well in this comparison - by then, its price will have dropped a bit, and the D400 is unlikely to beat the K-5 in any IQ measurements, build quality, sealing, etc... it'll probably have slightly faster fps and fancier AF, but both of those will be much, much closer than in the D300/K20D days.

Meanwhile, feel pity for the poor Olympus shooters - their new body of choice is the E-5 for $1,700, which the K-5 can easily trounce in just about every category, and the prospect of no new lenses for their system ever. Similarly, it will be interesting to see how Sony's A700 replacement with this sensor is priced (if such a thing ever appears, or if they'll just keep churning out Best-Buy-friendly consumer models.)
Hmmm I see, might as well buy soon then, its hitting 1450-1485 on many sites...

Last edited by Abstract; 11-15-2010 at 06:21 PM.
11-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I finally have a tracking number for my K-5 and it should arrive tomorrow...

I bought from a place called PCNation, which claims to be an authorized Pentax dealer. I paid $1,466.84 with 3-day shipping (which actually will be two-days from Chicago), it dropped to $1,459.41 today (I think) but is backordered. So, yes, cheaper than buy.com had it but not tremendously, and buy.com + FW cashback would be a better deal. Except that buy.com is OOS and selling via Adorama now, which is almost list. BH's price has gone up to $1,493.99. Comp-U-Plus is the next best deal that I'm aware of, $1,459.83 plus $15 shipping.

I'm not sure that I'd order from them again - there were a lot of hoops to jump through. I ordered on Saturday and promptly got an email that because I was a first-time buyer, I had to reply to the email to verify the address. OK, fine. Monday I got an email asking if I had a .com/.edu/.gov email address (I use my own domain, groucho.org, for email normally) or I could call. I replied with a .com address and didn't hear a response for a few hours. I called and got through to a pretty polite guy who sent out a verification email to my supplied address reasonably quickly. OK, fine. Soon after, the status changes from "awaiting CC verification" to "expedited CC verification", and in the afternoon, it changes to "at the warehouse."

So Tuesday rolls around, and it's still at the same status. I'm shooting my sister-in-law's wedding on Saturday, so I wanted to make sure it made it by then, otherwise I would have waited until the price dropped further. So I send an email to the general support number. Nothing. I wait a couple hours and email the guy I spoke to on the phone. Nothing. So finally I call around 3:30pm or so and get the same guy (is he the only one?), who again is very polite and says that it is boxed and about to go out and I should have tracking info the next day (today), and if not, to let him know. A couple hours later, the status changes to "shipped".

Finally today, a few minutes ago, a FedEx tracking number was added. So hopefully it will show up safely and everything will be fine, but it just seemed like more work than I would have liked.

They do have decent - not great, but not bad - ratings at ResellerRatings, which is where I found them, in their price search. As far as I know, their new price is the lowest you can get without using FatWallet cashback, but it's out of stock.
11-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #30

B&H now has the kit for 1619.99 with free ground shipping. The body is showing out of stock.

Was about to pull the trigger on just a body for about $1500, but for just $120 more, I'll take the kit lens.