Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sold out again- damn!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

At least I finally put my money where my mouth is; I got mine! ... and a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II Macro ta boot!! Or as I call it, a match made in heaven.

Well, most lenses are seeming to be a match made in heaven once mounted on the K-5, but that lens is amazing me in so many ways.
11-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sold out again- damn!
B&H told me that they expect to have yet another shipment in in about a week, and that this should be expected just about every time they run out of stock.

Also, they said that the price will fluctuate according to the market, so all bets are off. If a low price is offered, I'd go for it right away!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shnikus Quote
I purchased one as soon as it was back in stock last Friday for $1599. Next thing I know the price went down to $1485. Fortunately, B&H kindly refunded me the drop when I contacted them about it.
BTW, I got it with the current Epson's $450 rebate, so the actual price of my K-5 was $1235. I feel like I stole it now....
Yup, I did the same thing. Got the camera for $1,485 (before they ran out of stock) and I just sold the printer for $300! Now just waiting on the $450 rebate.
Love the K-5 BTW

12-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I did that rebate with my Kx a month ago - it is now in process, man what a deal - basically either an essentially free pretty solid photo printer, or at least $200 from when you sell it!
12-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Still in stock at Adorama $1,494 body only, $1,590 with 18-55mm lens. They also have the Epson printer in stock with rebate.

Just waiting on mine to come in.
12-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think I'll have to order mine through Adorama over B&H now since Adorama actually has the camera and the printer...

12-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #23
Forum Member

I just checked and B&H is currently asking $1,599 for the body, only. Meanwhile, they're selling the Nikon D7000 for $1,199.95. Even at $1,485 for a K-5 body the price difference is still substantial for what are essentially the same specs. Sorry, but it's going to take a hell of a lot more than $114 savings for me to see the K-5 as reasonably priced. Even if I had the money I wouldn't pay $1,485 for it... I would just continue to wait it out until the price came down to at least D-7000 level. The K-5 is a fine camera, but Pentax shouldn't be pricing it like a Lexus when it's more like a Solara.
12-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
I just checked and B&H is currently asking $1,599 for the body, only. Meanwhile, they're selling the Nikon D7000 for $1,199.95. Even at $1,485 for a K-5 body the price difference is still substantial for what are essentially the same specs. Sorry, but it's going to take a hell of a lot more than $114 savings for me to see the K-5 as reasonably priced. Even if I had the money I wouldn't pay $1,485 for it... I would just continue to wait it out until the price came down to at least D-7000 level. The K-5 is a fine camera, but Pentax shouldn't be pricing it like a Lexus when it's more like a Solara.
Hard for Pentax to lower prices when the camera keeps selling like hot cakes. "The problem" is that this is the camera body that all the K10 owners have been waiting for for years to up grade to and they are jumping on it, whatever the price.

Hard for me to even consider a D7000 until they come out with an adaptor that allows me to mount my Pentax glass on it and have it fully functional.
12-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Hard for Pentax to lower prices when the camera keeps selling like hot cakes. "The problem" is that this is the camera body that all the K10 owners have been waiting for for years to up grade to and they are jumping on it, whatever the price.

Hard for me to even consider a D7000 until they come out with an adaptor that allows me to mount my Pentax glass on it and have it fully functional.
I have a K10D and have been seriously itching for an upgrade, having made the decision to bypass the K20D, and the K7.... but what got me into Pentax in the first place was more bang for the buck. Unfortunately, I'm now going on a year and a half of being unemployed with nothing but "sorry, the position has been filled" replies showing up in my inbox every day, so buying a K5 isn't in my immediate future no matter what price it sells for. But, even if I had found a new job I could not personally justify swallowing the current price. It's just way too out of line with the original Pentax philosophy which had made me chose Pentax over Canikon in the first place.

I'd love to see the body drop to the sub-$1,000 range, although I imagine it would be a least a year from now (maybe by Christmas 2011) before that happens.
12-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I agree with Timiny. I'm in the "I have a K10D and it's time to upgrade" camp too, but not at current price levels. Last week I had the $1600 but bought a new (to me) lens out of spite. When the price become more palatable, I'll bite, but not before then. If another brand steals me away while Pentax dangles the carrot, it's not my loss.
12-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Of course they said there wasn't going to be a price drop anytime soon as far as he knew.
Of course, because they rarely know in advance. Nor would they tell you and kill a sale in any event.
12-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #28

why not buy from abesofmaine $1499?
12-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shang Quote
why not buy from abesofmaine $1499?
$100 is not significant enough.