11-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Color in FF3.6 band IE8 look exactly the same with vivid color<<

I run Quick Gamma last week for seting up my LCD

11-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ugh, IE8 is the absolute worst browser you can use in color critical apps. It still doesn't detect embedded gamuts. It absolutely mangles resized PNGs unless you add some special stylesheet tags (what a headache we had with it the past month at work).

With all that said, ProPhoto embedded images should not be getting posted to the Web; they should be sRGB, because chances are 99% of the world will think the photos look like crap because they arenot using a browzer with activated color management (it's off by default in Minefield; I just went thru it when I installed the 64-bit version of Firefox, Minefield)

---------- Post added 11-13-10 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Color-wise, they show identical on my FF (Win7 64 pro OS).
It only will if you have color management enabled.
Type this into the address bar:
about:config
There will be a warning about voiding your warranty. .... hahahaha... WHAT warranty! ...Click thru...
enter gfx into the Filter: entry field
Your Color Management Mode is 2 I bet. if it was 0 , the two would look different. A good page about this is:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gfx.color_management.enabled

Last edited by m8o; 11-13-2010 at 07:24 PM.
11-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
ugh, IE8 is the absolute worst browser you can use in color critical apps. It still doesn't detect embedded gamuts. It absolutely mangles resized PNGs unless you add some special stylesheet tags (what a headache we had with it the past month at work).
For anyone who might be interested; IE 9 Platform Preview 6 does appear to honour colour profiles -- it picks mine and lists it in it's System Info Diags Report -- and subsequently renders the images posted in this topic the exact same colour tones as FF 3.6.12 does.

**WARNING** the following is "testware" so all usual caveats apply!
I recommend that you take a full backup image of your %Windir% partition first JIC.

That said it runs very stable so far for me (on W7.64, but it gave me the 32 bit IE9 build), and best of all, it installs separately to the existing IE (8 in my case) on the system.
Also will run and cohabitate concurrently with an existing IE - but I can't find a 'normal' provision to uninstall it, yet. (?)

Another thing; forcing it into IE 5,7,8 or 9 Compatibility Document Mode (Debug menu) still appears to use the same system colour profile for the page. Interesting...

Anyway, D/L from here if wanting to play, RTFM (FAQ):
Internet Explorer 9 Test Drive

With all that said, ProPhoto embedded images should not be getting posted to the Web; they should be sRGB, because chances are 99% of the world will think the photos look like crap because they arenot using a browzer with activated color management (it's off by default in Minefield; I just went thru it when I installed the 64-bit version of Firefox, Minefield)

Well yes but to be fair to andi, he did give fair warning prominently at the top of his O.P, and it's not like it "breaks" anything on a person's PC if they do view it.
Something that I personally appreciate from a poster of possible envelope pushing tech anyway, his posting has also spurred me to learn up on a few other things I didn't know too, and probably should/need to.

Problem is some people/sites always have to be test pilots with all these new things to help expose and iron out main issues before primetime for the masses. Can't win either way.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-13-2010 at 09:20 PM.
11-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
Banned

The colors are like Velvia 50 in Firefox 4.0 Beta 7.

Last edited by jogiba; 11-13-2010 at 08:42 PM.
11-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #20
Inactive Account

---------- Post added 11-13-10 at 09:14 PM ----------

It only will if you have color management enabled.
Type this into the address bar:
about:config
There will be a warning about voiding your warranty. .... hahahaha... WHAT warranty! ...Click thru...
enter gfx into the Filter: entry field
Your Color Management Mode is 2 I bet. if it was 0 , the two would look different. A good page about this is:
Gfx.color management.mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
It is 2.. How do I change it? Do I WANT to change it?

11-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #21
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It is 2.. How do I change it? Do I WANT to change it?
Simple to change. Just double click and commit the new value. I would leave it on 2; The comparo photo will look the same to you presently. 0 is off and makes Firefox render images as IE does. 2 enables FF to read the embedded color profile and display the image as intended. I was only explaining (perhaps needlessly) what the exact setting was in Firefox that enables it to make images that contain embedded profiles look as intended. I think it was said already, but incase not pre-version 3.5, one had to manually set that.
11-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
Wow! These are amazing tests of colour! I'm amazed they're not saturated in PP!!!

At first when I saw them I thought my firefox wasn't able to reproduce the colours correctly, because they looked too vivid!
11-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Simple to change. Just double click and commit the new value. I would leave it on 2; The comparo photo will look the same to you presently. 0 is off and makes Firefox render images as IE does. 2 enables FF to read the embedded color profile and display the image as intended. I was only explaining (perhaps needlessly) what the exact setting was in Firefox that enables it to make images that contain embedded profiles look as intended. I think it was said already, but incase not pre-version 3.5, one had to manually set that.
Mine is 3.6something so I'll just leave it alone. I know it renders my images as I intend them to be.

Thanks for the info..

11-14-2010, 02:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Great vivid colors,clear and brillant.
Love the color and the nice contrast.Blue sky in backround,love this.

Best regards,Andy
11-14-2010, 03:05 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
These differences occur on windows systems with strange color management (Windows Vista and Windows 7 ... probably will be the same in Windows 8). I've given up on windows for photo editing because of this. I was getting different results almost every time on a calibrated wide gamut display. Color profiles were mixing all the time.
I use Adobe Lightroom for DNG processing and after exporting the pictures to JPG the colors were totally different no matter what profile I used.

On Mac OS X I don't have those problems and the three browsers I tested (Safari, Chrome and Firefox) all display the same vivid colors.

Lovely colorful shots BTW.
11-14-2010, 03:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The colors are like Velvia 50 in Firefox 4.0 Beta 7.
If I understand correctly, the intended colors are the ones you see in FF. IE8 displays the pictures as sRGB instead of ProPhoto so they look very desaturated.
11-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #27
Banned

As seen in Safari 5.0.2 on my Mac with OS X 10.6.5

11-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #28
Inactive Account

From left to right - Chrome 7.0.517.44, Firefox 3.6.9, Safari 5.0.2.
OS X 10.6.5
11-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #29

Original Poster
Wow, I'm glad you guys started that discussion.
Hopefully Microsoft and Google will catch up soon...

Our cameras, monitors, software are progressing and giving us a chance
to really improve the look and the quality of the images posted online.

Why not to do it and even down to the worst component?