Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I hung my K-5

Wow, this was strange, I was playing around testing out catch in focus (it works in AF but not MF it seems) and taking some macro photos, and everything stopped. Shutter button didn't focus, aperture wouldn't change, even the power button didn't turn the camera off. Weird, I doubt I could repeat it if I tried, seemed to be the constant focus changes and catching focus. I had to take the battery out to restart it, haha, sounds like a windows computer.

Anyway, strange.

11-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was the camera in the process of writing a file or processing it? If not, then this sounds like some sort of bug.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I experienced the same behavior the day I bought mine.
Only solution : remove the battery.
11-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
I doubt it, I was trying to take a picture of a fly on a leaf, so just moving back and forth trying to get focus, I think any photo would've been saved.

11-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
I experienced the same behavior the day I bought mine.
Only solution : remove the battery.
Me too - exact same thing - it just froze a few minutes after having powered up for the very first time. I removed the battery to reboot it. No problems in the 6 days since.
11-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

I crashed mine within 5 minutes after I first started playing with the camera and I'm sure I could reproduce the crash but I don't want to try:

1) turn off camera

2) insert SDHC card then remove it immediately

The camera display turned on but it was the wrong screen and turning the camera on/off had no effect. I had to remove the battery to get it going again.

The problem is that the dumb camera tries to access the card even if the power is off, and of course removing the card while it is being accessed is bad. As soon as I realized the card is accessed even when the power is off I was careful about not doing this any more.

- Phil
11-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Haven't had a second of trouble from mine.

By the way, Catch In Focus ONLY works in AF-S. In both MF and AF-C, the camera will take a photo regardless of focus.

11-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
Wow, this was strange, I was playing around testing out catch in focus (it works in AF but not MF it seems) and taking some macro photos, and everything stopped. Shutter button didn't focus, aperture wouldn't change, even the power button didn't turn the camera off. Weird, I doubt I could repeat it if I tried, seemed to be the constant focus changes and catching focus. I had to take the battery out to restart it, haha, sounds like a windows computer.

Anyway, strange.
This was discussed in a thread about 3 weeks ago when a half-dozen or so of us with K-5s had them lock up seemingly when the primary battery was depleted and the camera should have switched to the second battery, or just turned off. lots of discussion raged about clone batteries until enough cases came up where only original batteries where in use at the time.

Like Jeff says, i had that one incident and no more since. But I have not had a battery completely depleted before I switched to another since that time. It will happen again, just like a "windows computer" or a Ubuntu computer or ....nevermind. Hardware glitch can lock software easier than bad software, and tighter.
11-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
This was discussed in a thread about 3 weeks ago when a half-dozen or so of us with K-5s had them lock up seemingly when the primary battery was depleted and the camera should have switched to the second battery, or just turned off. lots of discussion raged about clone batteries until enough cases came up where only original batteries where in use at the time.

Like Jeff says, i had that one incident and no more since. But I have not had a battery completely depleted before I switched to another since that time. It will happen again, just like a "windows computer" or a Ubuntu computer or ....nevermind. Hardware glitch can lock software easier than bad software, and tighter.
So this is K-5's achilles? I really wonder why for every single model something should come up; don't they do enough tests before going for production? :о(
11-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
So this is K-5's achilles? I really wonder why for every single model something should come up; don't they do enough tests before going for production? :о(
If a lock-up every 4,700 shots (my counter as of today) is the worst issue with the K-5 then we should be quite happy. I am.
11-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if it's going to act like a computer running Windows, then it should flash on the display, "are you sure you want to delete this?" lol
11-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
It was indeed not my case, I used a fully charged genuine Pentax battery at the time (took one from my K7 kit, so I knew it was working!).
11-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
1) One idiot (not personal) can ask more that ten wise men can answer; what I'm trying to say is that not everything can be found with standard testing. This is Microsoft's approach as well; if you run MS Windows, you're the QA tester (and you have to pay for that privilege ).
2) Intel processors are only partially tested; certain things in the processor are 'guaranteed by design' and therefore not tested. Will probably apply to other manufacturers as well as to other products as well.
11-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #14

Same problem here on the first day when switching into video mode. Froze up, had to remove the battery. I'm guessing that first firmware update addressed some of these issues...

I haven't had the issue after the first time it happened, and I haven't yet updated the firmware. (and yes my Pentax battery was fully charged)
11-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Singulariter Quote
Same problem here on the first day when switching into video mode. Froze up, had to remove the battery. I'm guessing that first firmware update addressed some of these issues...

I haven't had the issue after the first time it happened, and I haven't yet updated the firmware. (and yes my Pentax battery was fully charged)

Can i ask when this happened, did the Top LCD display a number on it, even though it was turned off?