Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Singulariter Quote
Same problem here on the first day when switching into video mode. Froze up, had to remove the battery. I'm guessing that first firmware update addressed some of these issues...

I haven't had the issue after the first time it happened, and I haven't yet updated the firmware. (and yes my Pentax battery was fully charged)
Its a good thing you did not update the firmware yet as it has not been released as far as I know. I too hope they fix the lockup issue even if marketing does not allow them to ever admit it exists.

11-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

These cameras that we have today are mini computers and with computers, sometimes you just have to "reboot" the whole damn thing. It isn't like the old days when the cameras were all mechanical instruments. Today, you have got to just "un-confuse" the instrument and "reboot" it.

Modern times are a mixed blessing. The capabilities of our modern cameras are astounding, but so are the problems. In the old days we didn't have these problems, but then we didn't have the capabilities either. You give with one hand and receive with another. However, all things considered, we gained more than we gave up.
11-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

When you insert the SD card the camera briefly accesses the card. Have a look at the SD card light, it flashes. I expect that the camera is checking that it can access the card. This could cause a problem pulling the card straight back out. Otherwise, touch wood, mine has performed fine.
11-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Just tried to repeat the lockup I had once by depleting Grip battery (cheap clone version) while shooting. Worked as it should this time, gave warning then shut down with blinking battery icon. No pics lost.

I would prefer repeatable issues cause they are much easier to fix or avoid until fixed.

11-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah, my battery was pretty well charged too, fully charged the previous day, hadn't shot or used the camera extensively. I love the size too, pretty much identical to my K200d, except that I have the grip on (K-5).
11-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
Sorry but I didn't note the LCD number when I had the crash. I just figured it was locked up and dropped the battery :-/

The sound that the camera makes when in Liveview persisted continually once it was locked up, not sure if that helps in comparison.
11-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Just tried to repeat the lockup I had once by depleting Grip battery (cheap clone version) while shooting. Worked as it should this time, gave warning then shut down with blinking battery icon. No pics lost.

I would prefer repeatable issues cause they are much easier to fix or avoid until fixed.

I got my Wish! Repeatable results. Today with a low, maybe down to 1/4 according to the icon, clone battery and the Transcend 16GB Class 10 card with no Grip attached, it locked in the middle of tracking and burst shooting a critter walking towards me in AF-C mode. Knowing what it was and with no Grip, it was a matter of 5-10 seconds to recover, losing the last 3 frames. 5 minutes later it locked a second time under similar circumstances. Although I have seen reports of the lockup with original Pentax Li-90 it has not happened to me so I have one more lockup I need to see in order to properly write up a report for Pentax to ignore.
But the continuous focus really was working sweet! Low light, very thin DOF, shooting BIFs is not near the challenge it used to be.

11-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #23

Someone has had issues with the same card, not saving jpg's. Maybe it's the card?

QuoteOriginally posted by tsofron Quote
Basically I've shot more that 800 pics - in the manner - shoot- review last- shoot again. During a break, I wanted to review all the shots - but surprise - there were actually saved only the first 499 shots - the other were lost (. I've checked that - and indeed, the last shot wasn't saved - despite the fact that- a. removed card, inserted card b. removed battery, inserted battery c. deleted some pics - took some shots - they were not saved as well Unfortunately, I've left the spare card in the K7 and the show was almost over There were 2 subfolders in the DCIM folder- one had the 499 shots, the other one was empty. Grand total space occupied ~ 5 gb. The card is a Transcend 16 gb class 10
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/122573-weird-k5-jpeg-saving-problem.html
11-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Modern times are a mixed blessing. The capabilities of our modern cameras are astounding, but so are the problems. In the old days we didn't have these problems (...)
What? You never got a stuck shutter? Maybe a stuck winder? Or maybe, shot a full roll just to figure out the film wasn't exposing?
11-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
What? You never got a stuck shutter? Maybe a stuck winder? Or maybe, shot a full roll just to figure out the film wasn't exposing?
I've had at least 3 Pentax ME supers with locked up mirrors, a few with dead meters, one the lens wouldn't come off of because the button was froze in place. I have an ME (not super) that fires great at all settings..... at the same speed regardless of the meter or aperture setting. I've repaired over 100 leaf shutters in Rolleiflex cameras (not a bit of new fangled modern electronics in them).... Yep, the world is an imperfect place. Thing is, we keep making it more imperfect by making (essentially) throwaway stuff.

11-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #26

On the day I received my K5 I had the same problem. Never reproduced after that - I removed the battery this time for it to restart.

I think it was related to the fact I changed few lenses without switching off the camera It was indeed behaving like Windows 95 refused to even switch off...
11-28-2010, 06:41 AM   #27

I had a similar experience with my K5 when it first arrived, Pentax batteries, fully charged, Scandisk 8 gig class 10, was unable to turn off, finally had to remove the battery. I loaded the firmware update last week. Yesterday it hung again (at the worst possible moment), it was in continuous shooting mode (Hi) but taking single frequent jpegs. Had to remove the battery. Hopefully this issue will get fixed in a future firmware update. While I'm at it my flash pics with 540 fgz (no bounce) are 1-2 stops overexposed. They are perfectly exposed with my K200D. Otherwise K5 pics are awesome. TAv, auto white balance, high iso are superb features.
11-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #28
Forum Member

I had this happen a few times while shooting basketball. The shutter button unresponsive, the top LCD displaying its last action, and when turning off the camera, the top lcd still on with the last parameters displayed.

During the game, I had to refresh within seconds, so i simply removed the battery and re-inserted to reset the camera.

While shooting in the water with my camera encased in a housing, I feared this would happen and it did. Being unable to remove the battery, i swam to shore. Thankfully after only a few minutes the camera woke up and I was able to keep shooting.

I have a feeling it may be the limitation of the card, as if in the "hung" or frozen period, the Camera was still in the middle of a CPU process.

I was using a Sandisk Extreme III, class 6, shooting jpg 4 star, and AF-C in hi speed burst mode, FW 1.01
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #29
Forum Member

Hmmm, happened again last night while shooting another basketball game. This time there was only one occurrence and if I recall correctly. I had been tracking a subject using AF-c and constantly actuating the half press (and not holding it down half pressed) before actually firing.

In the past, my K7 had been flawless and you take for granted with all the cpu operations going on and the K7 never had a hiccup.

This K5 "glitch" seems to be a bug, and hopefully at this stage the engineers and software writers are hard at work.

Cheers for another firmware update that resolves this matter
12-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #30
Forum Member

I had several posts be deleted during the migration about this subject.

In a nutshell... While not owning a K5, my k20D does the same thing... So it's a bug that has been going on for a while. Hopefully they will come out with a firmware for the K5 that will fix it. No such potential luck for me though.

My K20D seems to do it more if I turn my camera off and on a lot. Since letting the camera sleep in the "on" position, it seems to do it less, but it happens at least once a week.

Mine also seems to be an aperture issue. Or at least it acts like it. It will self correct itself usually if I just wait. Sometimes it comes back online quickly, other times several minutes. It acts as if I'm shooting with the lens cap on?

In the end, I've just gotten quick and popping the battery hood off and on.