Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-5 does HS Football...

I finally got to give my K-5 its first real-life workout tonight (you know, other than measurebating and pixel-peeping type stuff ) at a HS football game.

Overall I'm impressed. I got a few "decent" shots (decent for being up in the bleachers, not on the sidelines unfortunately ). Biggest challenge of course is getting a fast enough shutter speed. Even with the ISO set at 12800...best I could muster was 1/200 which isn't *quite* fast enough to stop all motion. I see why sports shooters need fast lenses as well as high ISO...

But I was lucky to grab a few decent ones. I thought the focus tracking was pretty good. All shot w/ K-5 and 55-300.

Last edited by jgmankos; 01-13-2011 at 09:13 PM.
11-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, couldn't be done better!
11-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

This is exactly what makes the K5 so appealing. The 55-300 isn't exactly a fast lens one would normally grab for low light photography combined with motion, but someone taking some care can get some great shots.

There were a series of threads recently that inferred that Pentax's fast glass was obsolete as these sensor would reflect or not absorb the extra light. I don't buy the technical explanation and think the sensor will still receive more usable light.

I'd be curious how lenses like the FA77/1.8, K200/2.5 or A*300/2.8 would make out with the K5.
11-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

are these shots at ISO 12800? They are very very good.

11-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #5

I tried the K5 in the hockey arena today using ISO 6400. I used the 50-135 (2.8) and I am very impressed. This shot has no PP and is straight out of the camera. I am loving this camera!
Attached Images

11-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Nice shots, couldn't be done better!
Well, thank you...but yes I'm sure I can improve on it. I'd like to get a better view at the next game.

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
This is exactly what makes the K5 so appealing. The 55-300 isn't exactly a fast lens one would normally grab for low light photography combined with motion, but someone taking some care can get some great shots.
Exactly....with a camera that doesn't have this kind of sensitivity, I don't even bother to attempt this with the 55-300.

I'd like to see what it could do from the sidelines, and faster glass...say a 50-135 or even a 70-200 2.8.

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
are these shots at ISO 12800? They are very very good.
Yes they are ISO 12800 raw files processed with Lightroom 3
11-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #7

Why so high on the ISO?

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
I tried the K5 in the hockey arena today using ISO 6400. I used the 50-135 (2.8) and I am very impressed. This shot has no PP and is straight out of the camera. I am loving this camera!
Hey there,

Loved the shot and the color is truly amazing. I wanted to know though why you chose such a high ISO with all the light that is normally available in a hockey arena.

I shoot rodeos, specializing in bull riding, and sadly the way rodeos run, the bulls don't leave the chutes until (on average) about an hour later than they're scheduled to start whirling and bucking!

What this means is that a 16:00 start is usually 17:00-17:30 and dusk is only an hour, hour and a half away.

I always use my stock 70mm-300mm F4-F5.6 and usually at infinity focus, as 9 times out of 10 I'm unable to get close to the chutes-which the long established and healthy photographers do by actually being in the arena (I'm physically impaired and couldn't dodge a bull to save my life, much less out run one.).

I do my best to shoot at ISO 400 or less, thereby minimizing noise problems as much as possible because I need to shoot at 1/2000 or fast on about 90% of the bulls and broncs (both saddle and bareback), closer to 1/3000 is 99.9% reliable for the 'money' shots.

I'm still shooting with my K10D, so I have to live with the limitations of low light shooting of the K10D, given my severely limited budget in existing glass.

Had I my druthers, I'd have that new Sigma 170-300 F2.8, or better yet, the Sigma 200-500 F2.8, either lens with a 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters.

I do all my rodeo shoots in RAW, using Bibble 4.9 and then PSP 2.0 Ultimate, though I'm looking at both Bibble 5.0 and PSP 3.0 upgrades during the coming year.

Basically I just wanted to know about your choices given the shooting environment.

No, I'm not a 'professional', I'm just starting out doing shoots for a sport I dearly love and in which my family has been involved for decades, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible from as many sources as possible.

Anyone else reading this who wants to 'chime in' please go right ahead; like I said, I'm in FULL learning mode, so lay it on me!

Cheers to you and again, a really great shot with some truly amazing color.
11-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Neanderthal75 Quote
Hey there,

Loved the shot and the color is truly amazing. I wanted to know though why you chose such a high ISO with all the light that is normally available in a hockey arena.

I shoot rodeos, specializing in bull riding, and sadly the way rodeos run, the bulls don't leave the chutes until (on average) about an hour later than they're scheduled to start whirling and bucking!

What this means is that a 16:00 start is usually 17:00-17:30 and dusk is only an hour, hour and a half away.

I always use my stock 70mm-300mm F4-F5.6 and usually at infinity focus, as 9 times out of 10 I'm unable to get close to the chutes-which the long established and healthy photographers do by actually being in the arena (I'm physically impaired and couldn't dodge a bull to save my life, much less out run one.).

I do my best to shoot at ISO 400 or less, thereby minimizing noise problems as much as possible because I need to shoot at 1/2000 or fast on about 90% of the bulls and broncs (both saddle and bareback), closer to 1/3000 is 99.9% reliable for the 'money' shots.

I'm still shooting with my K10D, so I have to live with the limitations of low light shooting of the K10D, given my severely limited budget in existing glass.

Had I my druthers, I'd have that new Sigma 170-300 F2.8, or better yet, the Sigma 200-500 F2.8, either lens with a 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters.

I do all my rodeo shoots in RAW, using Bibble 4.9 and then PSP 2.0 Ultimate, though I'm looking at both Bibble 5.0 and PSP 3.0 upgrades during the coming year.

Basically I just wanted to know about your choices given the shooting environment.

No, I'm not a 'professional', I'm just starting out doing shoots for a sport I dearly love and in which my family has been involved for decades, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible from as many sources as possible.

Anyone else reading this who wants to 'chime in' please go right ahead; like I said, I'm in FULL learning mode, so lay it on me!

Cheers to you and again, a really great shot with some truly amazing color.
I was simply playing around with my new camera - testing it's limits etc.. Light in an arena may seem good, but it really isn't when you are behind the lens.(most of these are small town arenas) With my K20D, I tended to shoot ISO1600- but with the K5, I am now able to use ISO3200, (and apparently 6400)- that way I can up my shutter speed and stop down my aperture-thus hoping for less motion blur, and more depth of field. I would totally recommend investing in the K5- maybe when the price drops! The higher ISO with less noise, and the improved AF would do wonders for rodeo shots.

11-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm impressed...you guys "done good" as we say around here. Quite a camera...I hope to have one soon myself!
Best Regards!