Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
No, Coating is different and K-7 and K-5 can't correct barrel distortion of Tamron. There are long threads about it with samples, you can find with search.
I don't like superzooms so I've never paid much attention to the lens. The early adopters claimed they were one and the same. That's why I asked the question. I actually opened this thread to begin with to see the pictures FL had taken with his new camera (Love the first shot with the boats, water sunsets do nothing for me anymore but they are nice looking too)..

11-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA 18 - 250 makes my K200D look good. I think it's one helluva lens for a superzoom. I find your rationale for keeping the lens and hooking it up with the K5 interesting. I will be sure to try the combo when I get my K5.

BTW: NICE pics! I liked the Kr shot too.
11-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
No, Coating is different and K-7 and K-5 can't correct barrel distortion of Tamron. There are long threads about it with samples, you can find with search.
5 seconds worth of PP can correct barrel distortion better than in camera, in my opinion. But I think this topic has been beaten to death, resurrected a few times and beaten some more. At the end of the day, the differences between these two lenses are so negligible, it comes down to which do you prefer, the gold ring or the green ring. (or a 5 year warranty versus a 2 year warranty)

Jason
11-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I don't like superzooms so I've never paid much attention to the lens. The early adopters claimed they were one and the same. That's why I asked the question. I actually opened this thread to begin with to see the pictures FL had taken with his new camera (Love the first shot with the boats, water sunsets do nothing for me anymore but they are nice looking too)..

Ok dokey, I guessed that, I mentioned those other threads because you can see some amazing shots there, I mean it. I don't line super-zooms either but this is an exception, you can easily see from the samples. BTW Pentax version has creep issue, my wife's brand new one creeped from the beginning. It has a lock tho when you are not shooting. My 2 kurush's (Turkish cents).

11-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Both lenses creep out but the switch works great and it's not much of a bother to use.
Thanks again for everyones kind comments....
Jack
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Someone else came up with the idea to slow the creeping rate on this and other similar lenses. Use a wrist band, like the ones from concerts and special events. Place the band around the lens close to the camera body and it will tend to bind on the lens a bit and slow or stop the creep.

This is an example from my lens. Wish I had a plain color band.