Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Main differences in video between K5 & 5DII?

I'm trying to figure out what the main differences are in video mode between the K5 and 5DII. From what I've gathered the primary difference is that the 5DII shoots in 1080p at 30fps, while the K5 shoots in 1080p at 25fps.

I read that the firmware update for the 5DII now permits changing the aperture, ISO and shutter speed before and during video capture. Does the K5 permit this as well?

Of course the K5 has in-body SR, which the 5DII does not.

Any other big differences?

11-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Raylon
Guest




The 5D has more control as you stated. Also a shallower DOF, which a lot of people really want. The IS on some of the lenses for Canon is more effective than the in-body SR of Pentax. If you are serious about video, Canon is still the way to go.
11-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Original Poster
So does that mean it's not possible to adjust the aperture, ISO and shutter speed before and during video capture with the K5? I wasn't able to find any information on this.
11-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,955
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
The 5D has more control as you stated. Also a shallower DOF, which a lot of people really want. The IS on some of the lenses for Canon is more effective than the in-body SR of Pentax. If you are serious about video, Canon is still the way to go.
In body SR actually stabilizes better than in lens stabilization for video. At the same time, Canon is a lot more serious about video and allows for manual setting of everything in video mode, which no Pentax camera offers (there are work arounds for the K7/5). The K7 and 5 allow for setting aperture ahead of time, but not during shooting.

Falconeye has said that the 5D MkII scans more lines to create video than does the K7 and so it does low light video better (not certain if he has evaluated the K5 yet from that standpoint).

11-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
The 5D MKII is the only full frame HDSLR and has full manual control of audio and video.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Rq2KzoTSg[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zs-Ge_cmI4&feature=fvw[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WixL4zuNceI&feature=related[/YT]

11-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 869
QuoteQuote:
So does that mean it's not possible to adjust the aperture, ISO and shutter speed before and during video capture with the K5? I wasn't able to find any information on this.
You can adjust apparture before you start shooting and you can lock the Exoposure before shooting. Say you gona do a paning through a candle, set the apparture for slim DOF, then Lock the exposure on the candle, and shoot away.

Dont know if you can adjust ISO when shooting
11-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
On the K-7 and I dare imagine the K-5 it's pretty straightforward on how to do the work around.

Go to USER mode, select Av as the program. Select the desired aperture, then set the ISO you want, then aim the camera at a light source until you see the desired shutter speed on the K-7 1/60 would be the best, on the K-5 i'd imagine 1/50 if the K-5 did 24fps then 1/48 would be ideal, one you see the right number quickly press the AE-L * button then switch to video mode, you'll see the * on the screen and your exposures will be locked until you turn off AE-L or adjust the EV.

I only know that this definitely works on my K-7 FW 1.1, not sure about the K-5 yet.
11-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 869
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
On the K-7 and I dare imagine the K-5 it's pretty straightforward on how to do the work around.

Go to USER mode, select Av as the program. Select the desired aperture, then set the ISO you want, then aim the camera at a light source until you see the desired shutter speed on the K-7 1/60 would be the best, on the K-5 i'd imagine 1/50 if the K-5 did 24fps then 1/48 would be ideal, one you see the right number quickly press the AE-L * button then switch to video mode, you'll see the * on the screen and your exposures will be locked until you turn off AE-L or adjust the EV.

I only know that this definitely works on my K-7 FW 1.1, not sure about the K-5 yet.
YES, that works splendid on the K-5, Thanks for letting us know


Hugs and kisses

11-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Falconeye has said that the 5D MkII scans more lines to create video than does the K7 and so it does low light video better (not certain if he has evaluated the K5 yet from that standpoint).
From what I've read, the Sony EXMOR HD APS-C sensor in the K-5 uses all pixels in video mode, and uses binning to achieve the 1080P output, whereas older sensors just read every third column. Presumably, the 14MP Samsung sensor did it the latter way (which would explain the 1536 x 1024 video resolution of the K-7). In otherwords, video performance of the K-5 in low-light should be much improved over the K-7.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metz 58 AF-1 & 48 AF-1 differences, plus other P-TTL guns Richard Day Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 14 12-22-2010 09:24 AM
K-x Sample Pics & Clips Video stringbox Video and Pentax HDSLRs 1 08-23-2010 02:04 PM
AF tracking w/ Canon 7D video & stills Samsungian Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 33 01-14-2010 11:42 AM
Video & SR on the K-7 LeDave Video and Pentax HDSLRs 9 01-12-2010 03:10 PM
5dii k100d General Talk 16 10-15-2008 05:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top