Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Main differences in video between K5 & 5DII?

I'm trying to figure out what the main differences are in video mode between the K5 and 5DII. From what I've gathered the primary difference is that the 5DII shoots in 1080p at 30fps, while the K5 shoots in 1080p at 25fps.

I read that the firmware update for the 5DII now permits changing the aperture, ISO and shutter speed before and during video capture. Does the K5 permit this as well?

Of course the K5 has in-body SR, which the 5DII does not.

Any other big differences?

11-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Raylon

The 5D has more control as you stated. Also a shallower DOF, which a lot of people really want. The IS on some of the lenses for Canon is more effective than the in-body SR of Pentax. If you are serious about video, Canon is still the way to go.
11-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So does that mean it's not possible to adjust the aperture, ISO and shutter speed before and during video capture with the K5? I wasn't able to find any information on this.
11-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
The 5D has more control as you stated. Also a shallower DOF, which a lot of people really want. The IS on some of the lenses for Canon is more effective than the in-body SR of Pentax. If you are serious about video, Canon is still the way to go.
In body SR actually stabilizes better than in lens stabilization for video. At the same time, Canon is a lot more serious about video and allows for manual setting of everything in video mode, which no Pentax camera offers (there are work arounds for the K7/5). The K7 and 5 allow for setting aperture ahead of time, but not during shooting.

Falconeye has said that the 5D MkII scans more lines to create video than does the K7 and so it does low light video better (not certain if he has evaluated the K5 yet from that standpoint).

11-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Banned

The 5D MKII is the only full frame HDSLR and has full manual control of audio and video.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Rq2KzoTSg[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zs-Ge_cmI4&feature=fvw[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WixL4zuNceI&feature=related[/YT]

11-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
So does that mean it's not possible to adjust the aperture, ISO and shutter speed before and during video capture with the K5? I wasn't able to find any information on this.
You can adjust apparture before you start shooting and you can lock the Exoposure before shooting. Say you gona do a paning through a candle, set the apparture for slim DOF, then Lock the exposure on the candle, and shoot away.

Dont know if you can adjust ISO when shooting
11-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

On the K-7 and I dare imagine the K-5 it's pretty straightforward on how to do the work around.

Go to USER mode, select Av as the program. Select the desired aperture, then set the ISO you want, then aim the camera at a light source until you see the desired shutter speed on the K-7 1/60 would be the best, on the K-5 i'd imagine 1/50 if the K-5 did 24fps then 1/48 would be ideal, one you see the right number quickly press the AE-L * button then switch to video mode, you'll see the * on the screen and your exposures will be locked until you turn off AE-L or adjust the EV.

I only know that this definitely works on my K-7 FW 1.1, not sure about the K-5 yet.
11-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
On the K-7 and I dare imagine the K-5 it's pretty straightforward on how to do the work around.

Go to USER mode, select Av as the program. Select the desired aperture, then set the ISO you want, then aim the camera at a light source until you see the desired shutter speed on the K-7 1/60 would be the best, on the K-5 i'd imagine 1/50 if the K-5 did 24fps then 1/48 would be ideal, one you see the right number quickly press the AE-L * button then switch to video mode, you'll see the * on the screen and your exposures will be locked until you turn off AE-L or adjust the EV.

I only know that this definitely works on my K-7 FW 1.1, not sure about the K-5 yet.
YES, that works splendid on the K-5, Thanks for letting us know

Hugs and kisses

11-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Falconeye has said that the 5D MkII scans more lines to create video than does the K7 and so it does low light video better (not certain if he has evaluated the K5 yet from that standpoint).
From what I've read, the Sony EXMOR HD APS-C sensor in the K-5 uses all pixels in video mode, and uses binning to achieve the 1080P output, whereas older sensors just read every third column. Presumably, the 14MP Samsung sensor did it the latter way (which would explain the 1536 x 1024 video resolution of the K-7). In otherwords, video performance of the K-5 in low-light should be much improved over the K-7.