Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Faulty sensor/contacts :(

Hi,

Just got my K5 (kept my k20d and traded in a k10d).

The images at higher iso's are 50% bands such as these cat pictures and some massive blue fringing on any thing thats remotely bright with a tube in it( I get blue high lites on most things and have to stop down 3-5 evs to get rid of them (mostly) ).

Happens with all my lenses - same images with k20d fine.

I guess a trip back to bristol cameras for a replacement is in order (60 mile round trip )

Anyway Hi everyone

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Return it for replacement. 60 miles is nothing compared to eating a defective camera.

11-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
yeah i know, not going to be able to do it for at least a week - never mind first iffy pentax item in 3 years so I guess it was due lol
11-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understand your frustration. Nothing like finally getting to collect your treat and finding out it's a rock. The week will go by fast enough.

11-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

No fluorescent lamps used for lighting in any of these pics, is there? Tubes or the CF types can cause strange color casts and banding.
11-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know exactly how you feel.

My first 2 K20d's were lemons...

I guess Pentax has NOT gotten their act together when it comes to spotty quality control...

Just hoping my K5 (on it's way) is ok...

Pat
11-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
No fluorescent lamps used for lighting in any of these pics, is there? Tubes or the CF types can cause strange color casts and banding.
+1.
Any type of florescent lamp as the primary light source will cause this sort of thing.

11-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Quote Originally posted by DonP Quote No fluorescent lamps used for lighting in any of these pics, is there? Tubes or the CF types can cause strange color casts and banding. +1. Any type of florescent lamp as the primary light source will cause this sort of thing.
Looks suspiciously like fluorescent lighting with high shutter speed to me...
11-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Raylon

Yea, looks exactly like fluorescent lighting. Do some outside tests to be sure though...
11-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I know exactly how you feel.

My first 2 K20d's were lemons...

I guess Pentax has NOT gotten their act together when it comes to spotty quality control...

Just hoping my K5 (on it's way) is ok...

Pat
You don't know for sure if it isn't the light or not. Let's wait for the OP to tell us if the shots were done under florescent light before we make rash statements about QC.
11-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yup.

I expect this "problem" will become more and more common, what with everyone using compact fluoescent bulbs combined with high ISO capable cameras.

Seems the first thing people do is to take a high ISO shot of their cat in the kitchen.

That is not banding by the way. Banding is a noise pattern characterised by regular bands of denser (darker) pixels.

Try your camera again at a shutter speed under the flicker speed of your lights. Maybe 1/50 or so. The issue shoud go away.

Also, the clunk you feel when you tip the camera is normal. It is the SR mechanism shifting.
11-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Definitely fluorescents.
11-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hi,

Yes the lighting is fluorescent, thats what I meant by tube (i should be more clear)

Now before you all shout noob I do mostly indoor stuff and not come across this problem before.

So a quick test ( no means through) the k5 will band/cast ( just for a better word) with a shutter speed of hundeds (and easy to) - but try as I might the k20d would be a lot higher .

After reading up I totally understand the "problem" (and I'm sure I've come across it before but forgot).

But anyone get really pronounced blue casts in fluorescent ( monitors etc ), I get really odd pronounced blue specular hi lights on objects if a fluorescent light souce casting even a bit of light on them ( I've seen this in other k5 images tp).

I'll post some images later ( all prepaired for user error to ).

Cheers
11-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #14
Inactive Account

When changing WB seetings, you can see the results on the last picture you have taken on the fly, try outdoor shots with shade settings, with at least .3, 0.7 +EV, (England factor) and see what happens, blue cast on the computer scene coming from your monitor for sure.
11-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

When light coming off an LCD screen actually becomes your primary or significant light source, it can wreak havoc with your white balance.

Probably Nothing directly related to the K-5...I've had a tough time working such RAW files coming from other cameras before.