Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just got my new k-5 here are my observations

just got my new k-5 couldnt wait to take some pix so just dropped in the battery tossed on my pentax smc 50mm f1.4 A lens and started snapping away i was going for a old grainy black and white look so i had to up the iso im a previous k-7 owner normally to get this look all i had to do was up the iso to 800 but on the k-5 i was shock to find out i couldnt use iso 800 because it was way too sharp so i upped it to 1600 what still too sharp so i was like lets go for break and shoot iso 12800 and to my utter disbelief there just wanst enough noise so i had to use the extended iso mode and shoot at iso 25600 to get the grain i needed now granted the room was brightly lit to get those shadows i need but this pic is still beautiful at such a high iso no additional noise reduction was used and post processing done in photoshop were just color filters added for contrast and a slight change in exposure because of the high iso it was a lil bright to get the contrasts i wanted.... now i did have a few issues that werent major first was the autofocus sometimes the camera wont comunicate with the lens at all and it thinks its a m lens so it wont autofocus at all and then it asks you to imput the focal lenght and at other times the screw drive dosent seem to line up properly and will just free spin when it trys to autofocus but a quick remount of the lens usually fixes that now the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that it wont autofucus with my fa 80-320mm idk if the lens broke wich i doubt because it did work with my k-7 perfectly but manual focus works ok although it is really hard to focus it hand held at the long end lol good thing its not a lens i use often. hmmm im new to these forums and i dont like the 1.5 mb restrictions here so ill just post a link to my flicker and you can view the full sized photos there real working boots | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
military working boots | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

11-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Well, digital BW looks so sterile anyway compared to the real thing that I think you shouldn't even worry about the imitation grain effect because it will always look like imitation because it is.
11-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
gtl
Veteran Member

woah. you need to work on your punctuation. congrats on the k5.
11-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice photos. Definitely usable into the quite high iso range, particularly in black and white.

11-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Bobby. Nice to know there is now a SECOND K-5 on the streets of VaB now.
11-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by bobby_navy Quote
just got my new k-5 couldnt wait to take some pix so just dropped in the battery tossed on my pentax smc 50mm f1.4 A lens and started snapping away i was going for a old grainy black and white look so i had to up the iso im a previous k-7 owner normally to get this look all i had to do was up the iso to 800 but on the k-5 i was shock to find out i couldnt use iso 800 because it was way too sharp so i upped it to 1600 what still too sharp so i was like lets go for break and shoot iso 12800 and to my utter disbelief there just wanst enough noise so i had to use the extended iso mode and shoot at iso 25600 to get the grain i needed now granted the room was brightly lit to get those shadows i need but this pic is still beautiful at such a high iso no additional noise reduction was used and post processing done in photoshop were just color filters added for contrast and a slight change in exposure because of the high iso it was a lil bright to get the contrasts i wanted.... now i did have a few issues that werent major first was the autofocus sometimes the camera wont comunicate with the lens at all and it thinks its a m lens so it wont autofocus at all and then it asks you to imput the focal lenght and at other times the screw drive dosent seem to line up properly and will just free spin when it trys to autofocus but a quick remount of the lens usually fixes that now the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that it wont autofucus with my fa 80-320mm idk if the lens broke wich i doubt because it did work with my k-7 perfectly but manual focus works ok although it is really hard to focus it hand held at the long end lol good thing its not a lens i use often. hmmm im new to these forums and i dont like the 1.5 mb restrictions here so ill just post a link to my flicker and you can view the full sized photos there real working boots | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
military working boots | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Wow, that gave me a headache just trying to read it
11-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i had to stop midway and gave up finally. have some mercy next time, ,.<CR>.. you know?

have fun with your k-5 meanwhile

11-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Well, digital BW looks so sterile anyway compared to the real thing that I think you shouldn't even worry about the imitation grain effect because it will always look like imitation because it is.
Have you tried Nik's Color Efex Pro? It has a Film Grain filter that gives one a great deal of control and produces what I consider to be very nice looking grain.

Rob
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
yes sorry for the spelling errors and the lack of punctuations. I had typed this up in an extreme hurry and excitement due to my new camera, and as far as the grain in b and w goes i like it that is just my artistic take.
11-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

yes sorry for the spelling errors and the lack of punctuations. I had typed this up in an extreme hurry and excitement due to my new camera, and as far as the grain in b and w goes i like it that is just my artistic take.
If you expect N readers, invest N times the time to write you expect your readers to invest to read. You get the idea ...
11-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice boot shot. So you had to go to 26500. .

p.s. that snowman with the toilet plungers is a classic.
11-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
If you expect N readers, invest N times the time to write you expect your readers to invest to read. You get the idea ...
I'm not a writer. If i wanted to be a writer i wouldn't have spent 1500 on a camera intended for taking photos not writing . I would've spent it on a computer, or the latest Microsoft office. This is a free forum. You did not spend any money so there for you don't have to try to get your moneys worth by reading every forum post. If you do not like what i have to say or how i say it then please do not read it. Now as far as my photos are concerned you are more than welcomed to provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism here.
11-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I'm not a writer. If i wanted to be a writer i wouldn't have spent 1500 on a camera intended for taking photos not writing . I would've spent it on a computer, or the latest Microsoft office. This is a free forum. You did not spend any money so there for you don't have to try to get your moneys worth by reading every forum post. If you do not like what i have to say or how i say it then please do not read it. Now as far as my photos are concerned you are more than welcomed to provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism here.
Capitalization and punctuation help us read your posts better, that's all. No one expects you to be a writer (few of us are). We understand your excitement with the new camera but posts like this one will likely leave you in a very lonely state around here.

Oh, by the way, For the record, some of us DO spend money to support this forum.

Welcome to the K5 club and the forums.

11-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

???

I didn't criticize you. I just shared a common wisdom with you. I thought you wanted N>1, that's all...

And of course you've written your post. My ears arent't good enough to hear you from here
11-17-2010, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

....This is a free forum. You did not spend any money so there for you don't have to try to get your moneys worth by reading every forum post. If you do not like what i have to say or how i say it then please do not read it. Now as far as my photos are concerned you are more than welcomed to provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism here.
Bobby -
Please take a little advice from a neighbor. This forum is the greatest source of help and information in the world for you and your new camera. I know this is true from experience. This may be a different group of people than what you are used to working with. The vast majority are trying to help, not looking for an arguement but assume you are mature enough to take advice without taking it personal. If you come in unknown and blow people off that are respected, long-time members of the forum, you might as well start posting your questions on the Nikon site.

Learn the rules. Settle down. Accept criticisms or send a Private Message (PM) if you want to work something out in private. Note the the number of posts and Reputation# of respondents on their bottom/left of their posts. Its not perfect but high numbers indicate they are likely here to help and know far more than you. Very low numbers (like yours) mean they get cut a little slack for protocol until they prove not worth the effort. This is not a free-for-all, win at any cost, Mac or Windows kind of forum.

I promise it will be worth it if you are serious about wanting an education about your camera. Got questions about this post? PM me.