Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Switching from K10D to K-5

Finally I bought my K-5 and became the first K-5 owner in Turkey. I know this because K-5 have not arrived yet in Turkish market and I bought mine from Germany. Since 5 days I'm trying to get used to my new K-5. After using K10D using K-5 sounds a little strange. From the point of AF there is no doubt that K-5 is A class body. However, I still could not get used to Aparture, ISO and curtain speed preferences in aparture priority shootings. I'm sure I'll get used to it in a short time but franly speaking my old K10D which stays with me as second body is my first choice for photos where I do not want to risk of being new in K-5.

I'll be glad to receive advices from people who had similar feelings like mine after getting K-5 in hand for the first time.

11-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had very similar experience going from K10D to K-7, which as I understand has 99% the same control layout as K-5. That is, I had my share of ergonomic/operational quirks that even made me write an entry in my blog on the matter. K10D is still in the family, more than a year after K-7 was bought.

I hope you'd enjoy your new camera and show us wonderful pictures from it.
11-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #3

Get rid of the K10D.... Getting used to the K-5 will require this. Because of the control layout, particularly
if you are used to working quickly with the camera at eye-level.

I had a K20D and went to the K-7 which is the same external change as K10D to K-5 and it drove
me crazy. I was planning to use the K20D as backup but instead got a second K-7. Now I have the
K-5 and K-7 but those work the same way.

Your K-5 may have come with different defaults than your K10D. Both have customizable control-dials,
so use the menu to set them to your liking. After that you can get the dials for Aperture, ISO and shutter-
speed to work identically on both. You cannot use the menu system to move the EC button though

Have fun with your new camera!

- Itai
11-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Itai Quote
Get rid of the K10D....
I respectfully disagree here, but that would take this thread way off the original topic.

11-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I respectfully disagree here, but that would take this thread way off the original topic.
Sure! Notice I did not say anything negative about the K10D... I actually preferred its body layout... only that it was different. I work very fast and I like to use all the buttons without looking at them (to me that was the number on Pentax advantage), having the EC and Green button swapped meant that when switching bodies I would often do the wrong thing and missed some shots. That's all.

- Itai
11-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
It may not be the right place to ask for a photo critique but site moderation directs all issues related to K-5 under this topic. If I may receive some constructive critiques about my first shots with my new K-5 to draw my attention to possible fundemental errors, I'll appreciate very much.
All exif data arae available except HDR ones. HDR frames are made of 3 shots +-2 ev stops in between each. All photos are taken in RAW formatand coverted to JPEG after processed by PS CS5 Camera RAW.

11-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cem.kumuk Quote
It may not be the right place to ask for a photo critique but site moderation directs all issues related to K-5 under this topic. If I may receive some constructive critiques about my first shots with my new K-5 to draw my attention to possible fundemental errors, I'll appreciate very much.
All exif data arae available except HDR ones. HDR frames are made of 3 shots +-2 ev stops in between each. All photos are taken in RAW formatand coverted to JPEG after processed by PS CS5 Camera RAW.

the compositions of the shots are good, but overall they are a little overdone (too much pp) especially the one with pigeons, at least to my taste.. although the last one looks good.

11-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the compositions as well, but not being an HDR fan i find them a little to PP for my taste. Was this the in camera HDR or PS
11-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

I have my camera set up on Program mode with the ISO set on AUTO up to 3200. You can change the shot however you want to from Program mode by changing aperture and shutter speed settings.
11-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I like the compositions as well, but not being an HDR fan i find them a little to PP for my taste. Was this the in camera HDR or PS
HDR is made of 3 frames with +-2 ev stops in between with Photomatix pro3 software
11-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

cem.kumuk,
great compositions, and i like HDR so enjoyed the results as well. I think HDR allows one to put more of an individual stamp onto their images, IMO.

The bird image, although a great composition, was my least favorite as far as colors and toning.

my ulitmate test, is whether i would enjoy having a particular picture on a wall at home. The first and last in the series fit that category for me.

have fun with your K5
11-17-2010, 01:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
cem.kumuk,
great compositions, and i like HDR so enjoyed the results as well. I think HDR allows one to put more of an individual stamp onto their images, IMO.

The bird image, although a great composition, was my least favorite as far as colors and toning.

my ulitmate test, is whether i would enjoy having a particular picture on a wall at home. The first and last in the series fit that category for me.

have fun with your K5
Thanks a lot Phil, I fully agree with you. The first one is my favorite as well. Tough I liked the composition of the frame of the birds, overall performance did not satisfy me at all either. You know, when you have a new camera in your hand, you want to shoot every possible frame to see different results. That's what I'm doing actually I'm sure I'll make very awkward frames besides nice ones until I get used to my new K-5. But I'll not hesitate to share even awkward ones here cos I'm sure the community here is always mature enough to make constructive critics like yours.
11-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cem.kumuk Quote
It is pretty difficult to assess your camera operation given that your photos are obviously processed. As for the views themselves - I quite like them. No fundamental errors that I could spot except that I'd like to see some if not most of these shots with minimal or even no processing at all, as this is my personal preference - minimal processing.