Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Capture One Five users

One of the Phase One tech support people just posted on the Phase One user forums that there have been only four requests for support of the Pentax K-5. Phase One technical support prioritizes its camera support based on support requests, so if you're a Capture One Five user please be sure to log in a support case requesting support for the K-5.

Last edited by MRRiley; 11-16-2010 at 01:51 PM.
11-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do they expect... the camera is barely out on the streets.
11-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
I would have assumed that Phase One would provide support for this camera pretty quickly and I was surprised to read in the Phase One user forums that they prioritize based on user requests.

My guess is that there are a lot of other K-5 owners who also use Capture One 5, but it may not occur to them that they can speed up support by logging a request for support. That's why I'm bringing it up.
11-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Didn't mean it wasn't a good idea. In fact its great that you brought it up. Thats true for any software when a new camera comes out.

11-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I must be one of the five, because I submitted a request for K-5 support shortly after the camera was released, even though I do not yet own it. I received a reply that Phase One was waiting to receive a camera from Pentax (or wherever) to do the job. I was also informed the Capture One has quite a few Pentax users, so there is no question of them supporting the camera. It's just a question of "when." I have tried processing some K-5 DNGs using C1-5, and the results are not at all pleasing. So, yes, people, please go to Phase One support and submit a request for K-5 coverage.

I'm glad to see that there are other Capture One fans on this forum. Every so often, I like to do head to head comparisons with the latest version of ACR, which seems to be the popular choice of most other photographers. I consider myself reasonably proficient with ACR, but C1 toasts it consistently, except in the area of NR. I expect that Capture One 6 will have a major bump in its NR function. Fortunately, the K-5's noise is well controlled and easy to treat in PP.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 11-16-2010 at 03:11 PM.
11-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
Rob,

I'm with you. I'm actually waiting for Capture One 5 support before I buy my K-5, because I don't want to go through what for me is the brain damage of trying to make my images look good in ACR or Silkipix. I know other people seem to be happy with ACR, but I agree with your statement that C1 toasts it.

Jeff
11-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'm with you. I'm actually waiting for Capture One 5 support before I buy my K-5, because I don't want to go through what for me is the brain damage of trying to make my images look good in ACR or Silkipix. I know other people seem to be happy with ACR, but I agree with your statement that C1 toasts it.

Jeff,
I am undecided about waiting for Capture One's support. I am quite pleased with my K-7, but it may not meet my needs any longer. I have a first grandchild scheduled for arrival in early February, and I want to be able to take photos in available light without flash. I don't think that the K-7 will be quite up to the task. So, I may be forced to go ahead with the K-5 purchase and use ACR until C1 comes through. I do think that ACR does a decent job of raw conversions, and I can live with it for as long as it takes Phase One to come through.

I have not tried the latest version of SilkyPix, but I tested the previous one quite thoroughly and hated it. Some folks like it, which proves that you can get used to anything.

Rob

11-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excuse me...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Kott Quote
One of the Phase One tech support people just posted on the Phase One user forums that there have been only four requests for support of the Pentax K-5. Phase One technical support prioritizes its camera support based on support requests, so if you're a Capture One Five user please be sure to log in a support case requesting support for the K-5.
Customer service and support... don't you just love it?

Since the K-5 is here to stay, I wonder how many new user sales they will lose between now and when they implement support. Until then, they are the big loser.

The ball is in their court, don't you think?

Cheers...
11-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

The ball is in their court, don't you think?
I agree. With so many people defaulting to ACR or Lightroom for their raw conversions, and most finding them good enough, you would think Phase One would be making C1 compatible with as many cameras as possible as soon as possible.
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Kott Quote
I agree. With so many people defaulting to ACR or Lightroom for their raw conversions, and most finding them good enough, you would think Phase One would be making C1 compatible with as many cameras as possible as soon as possible.
I don't think that we will have to wait too long. Phase One is very responsive to user requests, and their forums are regularly tended by company representatives. Also, note that even ACR does not yet support PEFs, but only DNGs from the K-5.

Phase One is a very serious player, and I believe that they have ambitions to challenge Adobe for the professional/serious amateur market. Witness their purchase of Microsoft's Expression Media as evidence of this fact. Clearly, they intend to beef up Capture One's file management capabilities. Still, most people are satisfied with ACR, because it is rich in features and does a very decent job at raw conversions. But those of us who have become accustomed to the IQ from C1 know that there is no going back.

When Capture One 6 is released, I expect to see some very big changes. V.5 is now more than one year old, so the next major upgrade should occur within 12 months. Hopefully, the next v.5 update will include both the K-5 and the K-r.

Rob
11-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use DNG. Never have that problem on any RAW developer....
11-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccentricphotography Quote
I use DNG. Never have that problem on any RAW developer....
For some reason, the K-5 DNGs that I have processed in Capture One have had very weird colors. These were downloaded from Imaging Resource. Has anyone else had similar experience? OTOH, DNGs from the K10D have not been a problem with C1.

I will try some more DNG files from IR.

Rob

---------- Post added 11-16-10 at 06:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
For some reason, the K-5 DNGs that I have processed in Capture One have had very weird colors. These were downloaded from Imaging Resource. Has anyone else had similar experience? OTOH, DNGs from the K10D have not been a problem with C1.

Rob
Tried another DNG from Imaging Resource and got the same results with Capture One--very green and oversaturated. Colors from ACR are spot on, as one would expect from Adobe, the DNG code source.

Rob

---------- Post added 11-17-10 at 09:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote

Rob

---------- Post added 11-16-10 at 06:17 PM ----------

Tried another DNG from Imaging Resource and got the same results with Capture One--very green and oversaturated. Colors from ACR are spot on, as one would expect from Adobe, the DNG code source.

Rob
I posted a note in the Phase One forum on this issue and received a prompt response from one of their people to the effect that Capture One supports Adobe DNG and some specific camera DNGs, but not all of them. Obviously, the K-5's DNG files are not yet included. However, it does mean that one could shoot PEF and convert to Adobe DNG, which C1 would be able to handle at this time.

Rob
11-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I received this message on the Phase One forum from Drew:

QuoteQuote:
Re: Capture One and DNGs

New postby Drew » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:08 am
The K-5 is certainly on our TO DO list but I cannot say for sure when it will be available. I would also hope it is within 1-2 months but can offer no promise or guarantee.
So, the wait should not be too long.

Rob