Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom and Photoshop for K-5 .PEF files?

Hi Everyone,

I just got my new K-5 from B&H (they are honouring the $100 mail-in rebate from last week, by the way, and also any price drop within 15 days of purchase if you call them). I'm so happy about many of the features on the K-5 but won't go on about it here - there's a million other threads for that.

My problem: Lightroom and Photoshop can't open the .PEF files for the K-5. This is a big issue for me because I've paid for legitimate copies of both programs and it's all I know how to use. Does anyone have a plug-in that I'm not finding on Adobe's website? By the way, I've tried the software that came with the camera and it's painfully slow (on a brand new MacPro)!

Please help, I don't want to have to shoot in JPEG! (*gasp*)

Thanks,

Bonnie

11-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You could shoot DNG (instead of PEF).
11-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could always shoot in DNG no?
I'm in the final stages of setting up a new computer and one of the things I noticed is that the latest DNG converter doesn't support the K-5 yet either.

NaCl(the K-r yes, the K-5, sadly no)H2O

edit: Looks like dgaies beat me to it!
11-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

First, you don't have to shoot jpeg, you can shoot DNG which will be recognized by PS, LR, and just about everything else. PEF has no advantage over DNG.
As far as the photos you have shot in PEF, use the software that came with the camera to convert ti TIFF and then process with LR or PS.
Welcome to the forum.0

(I'm moving this to the Digital Processing, Software, and Printing forum) moving

11-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

Hi Bonnie! Welcome and I see this is you first post. I don't own a K5 yet and congrats on your acquisition. I do have Lightroom 3 and have a K20. Your K5 should have and option in the Menu for PEF or DNG RAW format. If you select DNG in the menu then Lightroom should be able to do the DNG file as it is a standard that Adobe supports. I hope this has helped.....

Larry

OOOPS, Jim beat me too it!!!!!LOL!
11-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BONSTA Quote
My problem: Lightroom and Photoshop can't open the .PEF files for the K-5. This is a big issue for me because I've paid for legitimate copies of both programs and it's all I know how to use. Does anyone have a plug-in that I'm not finding on Adobe's website? By the way, I've tried the software that came with the camera and it's painfully slow (on a brand new MacPro)!
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
You could always shoot in DNG no?
I'm in the final stages of setting up a new computer and one of the things I noticed is that the latest DNG converter doesn't support the K-5 yet either.
All of the above software (Photoshop, Lightroom, DNG converter) are Adobe products, and they will have downloadable updates for them in the near future to be able to read the "new" PEF files.

It takes some time for Adobe to get the final, released versions of the raw files from manufacturers, and at Photokina this year, a number of new cameras were released. There is probably a backlog of new raw files to support, so in the meanwhile use the Pentax software or shoot DNG. (DNG being Adobe's attempt at getting rid of this constant need for updates. Kudos to Pentax for actually supporting it!)
11-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Wow, thanks so much for all the welcomes and quick replies. I had already switched to DNG on my camera before posting but I wasn't sure if LR and PS would recognise it or need a plug-in as well. I have to admit, I'm not the most computer literate.

Thanks again! And for those of you that don't already have the K-5, get one I've had the K-10 and K-20 and there's no comparison.

Cheers,

Bonnie

11-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
First, you don't have to shoot jpeg, you can shoot DNG which will be recognized by PS, LR, and just about everything else. PEF has no advantage over DNG.
As far as the photos you have shot in PEF, use the software that came with the camera to convert ti TIFF and then process with LR or PS.
Welcome to the forum.0

(I'm moving this to the Digital Processing, Software, and Printing forum) :moving:
Converting to TIFF is not a good option as far as workflow is concerned.
The better option is to use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert the PEF files to DNG format.

Macintosh
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4802

Windows
Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 6.2 update

Alternatively configure the camera to shoot directly in DNG format or wait until Adobe updates the camera profiles for the K-5 and K-r if you still want to use the PEF format.
11-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Does the K5 compress PEFs well?
The K7 compresses them slightly, but not near as well as DNG.
In the end DNGs take significantly less space without loss of functionality.

Is there any real benefit of PEF over DNG?
11-17-2010, 04:22 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Does the K5 compress PEFs well?
The K7 compresses them slightly, but not near as well as DNG.
In the end DNGs take significantly less space without loss of functionality.

Is there any real benefit of PEF over DNG?
One advantage of PEF's, (in my workflow anyway), is the fullsize embedded jpeg.

I still use the oldschool BreezeBrowser Pro progam to review, sort, tag and delete files when they're first copied to the PC. It can read and display the embedded jpeg from any PEF file for quick sorting but it only displays a tiny image for DNG's.

Do DNG files even contain an embedded fullsize jpeg?

bazz.
11-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The better option is to use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert the PEF files to DNG format.

Macintosh
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4802

Windows
Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 6.2 update

Alternatively configure the camera to shoot directly in DNG format or wait until Adobe updates the camera profiles for the K-5 and K-r if you still want to use the PEF format.
DNG Converter 6.2 will not convert K5 PEFS (unknown camera).

Photoshop & Lightroom will process K5 DNGs, but you are limited to using the embedded profile till the K5 is fully supported.

dave
11-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
If Adobe updated the DNG converter recognize K5 PEF wouldn't they have updated ACR as well? In which case they could be processed in LR or PS.

K5 is not listed in the Supported Cameras List for that update.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-17-2010 at 07:09 AM.
11-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Adobe do not have to rush to make a converter of PEF because Camera use Native DNG
11-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #14

DNG

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Adobe do not have to rush to make a converter of PEF because Camera use Native DNG
They still have to upgrade their DNG converter to read PEFs from the K-5 though and I think that's what folks are waiting for.
11-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m3photo Quote
They still have to upgrade their DNG converter to read PEFs from the K-5 though and I think that's what folks are waiting for.
And they still have to profile the K-5 to get correct colors and other things. So really, being able to read the DNG is not enough, unless you're satisfied with substandard results out of the box.