Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
And they still have to profile the K-5 to get correct colors and other things. So really, being able to read the DNG is not enough, unless you're satisfied with substandard results out of the box.
It takes about 20 seconds to profile a camera.
If you are satisfied with substandard canned profiles, I suppose whatever floats your boat.

12-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #17

I have just got my K5 and Adobe Lightroom supports the DNG files it creates. The results are extremely good and I am happy with this till PEF support arrives.
12-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PEF support arrived yesterday. Have at it. :-)
12-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #19

PEF support for which program?

12-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lightroom.
12-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #21

I can't see any mention of this on the Adobe site! How about a link?
12-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are using either Lightroom 3.xx or Photoshop CS5, open the program and go to help/update.
The software will do the work for you.
As an aside, I've been using DNGs since the K10 because Adobe was very slow to support that camera. I have an old computer that still has Photoshop 7 installed (that's 5 generations old). It will open K7 DNGs, and I have no reason to think it wouldn't open K5 DNGs, though I haven't bothered to try yet.
This, on the surface is a so what sort of thing, but it means that by shooting DNG format you don't have to update to the latest Adobe software when a new camera comes out.
I'm pretty sure that CS4 will never support K5 PEF files.

12-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

FIY, link: Lightroom Journal

Obviously Photoshop CS5 with latest Camera RAW has same feature set.

NEW CAMERA SUPPORT
Canon PowerShot G12
Canon PowerShot S95
Nikon D7000
Nikon Coolpix P7000
Nikon D3100
Olympus E-5
Panasonic DMC-GF2
Panasonic DMC-GH2
Pentax K-5
Pentax K-r
Ricoh GXR, GR LENS A12 28mm F2.5
Samsung NX100
Samsung TL350 (WB2000)
Sony A560
Sony A580
12-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Why choose PEF when DNG is pretty much the industry standard and recognized by all adobe products? PEF doesn't create a more "Pentax" looking image and only and usually causes more steps in a work flow.

Jason
12-10-2010, 03:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Does the K5 compress PEFs well?
The K7 compresses them slightly, but not near as well as DNG.
In the end DNGs take significantly less space without loss of functionality.

Is there any real benefit of PEF over DNG?
No, none whatsoever...unless the PEF file size is smaller, but at the cost of memory nowadays, that's a moot point really.

Jason
12-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Yeah, I have no idea. It sounded like someone was saying the handling of PEF would give better results with regards to camera profile, but I have no idea. DNG seems to be as color accurate as I need. Of course I custom white balance when important, dunno anyone that would rely on built-in WB for color critical work. (I do understand custom WB doesn't guarantee correctness across the gamut. But its certainly close enough to what I do.)

For 99% of photography, WB and color correctness is contextual anyway. Outside of companies sitting with a colorimeter to spot check their products, etc.... no third party is likely going to be able to tell the difference.

Last edited by amoringello; 12-10-2010 at 04:03 AM.
12-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #27

Thanks Wheatfield, I upgraded and made a very very interesting discovery. Before I upgraded I thought I would try shooting in PEF, converting them to TIFS (16 bit) (with the Pentax software) and then editing them in Lightroom. I found that the TIF files were far superior to the DNG files. When I upgraded and could read PEFs I compared them again and STILL the TIF file is considerably superior to the PEF files. I can only conclude from this that Adobe has not got it right with the Pentax PEFs for the K5. I will be sticking to the TIF method!
08-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #28

I purchased K-5 iis a few days ago and now playing with it a lot. What I've found out while using LR4 is that when I import PEF files converting them into DNG, in the Profile section there is only Adobe Standard option available. However, if I select DNG file format in the camera settings and then import the files into LR, the Embedded option appears as well. I'm just wondering why is so? I haven't had such situation with K20D.
09-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
And they still have to profile the K-5 to get correct colors and other things. So really, being able to read the DNG is not enough, unless you're satisfied with substandard results out of the box.
DNG files straight from the camera contain a colour profile identified by Pentax. That can be used by Adobe.

Personally, I don't trust either Pentax or Adobe colour profiles, so I have my own created by ColorChecker Passport.