Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member
nulla's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,560
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Hey JP,

The bike in the half pipe was under very poor lighting conditions - dim and harsh. I've photographed in the Javits Convention Center for many years and hate it every time.

If you look at the EXIF, you'll see:
50mm
F3.2
1/400
ISO6400

IIRC, I had my trusty M50/1.7 in my bag just in case...

I've added some more half-pipe photos. Check them out:

Flickr: Discussing Samples - Sports/Action in Pentax K-5 Fan Club

And here's a 3-shot sequence with 100% crops:




Click here for the full-size 100% version.

They aren't tack sharp, but not bad considering I was not familiar with the camera (I'm used to the K20d) and was shooting under poor lighting conditions.

Here's an interesting comparison - I just found another shot on Flickr by a guy with a Canon7D:




Also ISO6400, F2.8, faster shutter speed than me. Don't know if he's done any PP to this image, but I'll be the first to say that it's sharper than my shots - just look at the stitching on the pants.

I guess the question is - how much of the difference is due to the guy behind the viewfinder?
And I wonder how much is due to motion of the subject at the time of the photo...

Neil

11-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
I made a serie this day with K-5, FA*85mm set to f2.0 so there is only a very shallow DOF. It either hits it or misses it. I put the pictures in a batch true PSE7 and made them 1024pixels wide and give it auto-sharpening.

I used the setting AF-C and in the menu choosen for priority to set focus (not framerate) and chosen auto-selectionpoint with the 5 centre cross AF-points to choos from.

You van see the serie:

Picasa Web Albums - Ron Hendriks - Pentax K-5 AF...

Select full screen and just watch the show.
11-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
In this indoor Volleyball series I used the K-5 with the following settings: AF.C (with 5 active focus points), ISO 5000-6400 (some ISO 10000 too), auto AF point. I used mainly the FA* 85 and DA* 55.

Generally I'm very pleased with the results. The K-5 is really snappy and the focus was almost always where I wanted it. The little existing noise does not bother me because the complete series will be resized even smaller (for the Volleyball club).

Also, please bear in mind that I have never encountered optimal circumstances. Most indoor sports centers are sparsely lit, so the colors are usually not very nice.

1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


6.


7.
11-21-2010, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #19
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14
Dear all,

I had the occasion to shoot some sports this weekend - football from the first league and some handball...

Anyway, here are some snaps from the football game, with handball to follow.

Comments are more than welcome.

Regards,
Tudor

ps: exif for the files is K5 + Da* 50-135 / ISO 1600 / f3.2 / 1:640 focal lenght between 50-80 mm

Attached Images
       

Last edited by tsofron; 11-21-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: exif
11-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,256
Original Poster
Very good samples of sharp images we are getting here!

Keep 'em coming!

JP
11-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #21
Forum Member
doc.mark.dimo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
I notice an vast improvement for AF-C on the K5

Last night I shot a Professional Basketball game for an article I am working on regarding 2 of the new rookies from the recent draft.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Philippine Basketball, It has been a religion here ever since its introduction several decades ago.

I am still familiarizing myself with how the K5 performs, so for a test, I shot the entire game with Cool white fluorescent WB, Manual Mode at 1/800 f2.8 and at ISO 5000.

settings in camera Jpeg 10mp, 4star, Bright mode, NR on low, Auto 5 AF pts, and AF-C with release priority favoring faster FPS (not focus lock)

The K5 yielded far more keepers than the K7 might have, and the Af-c was pretty snappy and accurate.

What I am really enjoying is that the K5 is even more silent than the K7. The venue has really poor mixed lighting so I was more than pleased with the result.

My next attempt will be while shooting RAW

Here are some samples:









11-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian
dosdan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,699
QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
I am still familiarizing myself with how the K5 performs, so for a test, I shot the entire game with Cool white fluorescent WB, Manual Mode at 1/800 f2.8 and at ISO 5000.
These exposure settings are for a light value of LV 7. That's very low illumination for action photography. Good results under the circumstances. Will be interesting to see if using raw helps any more.

Was this the 50-150/F2.8? If so, did you have to crop a lot because of the relatively low max. FL or did you restrict yourself to one end of the court? I've never shot basketball so I'm unsure if you need any more FL to cover the ends of the court.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 11-24-2010 at 09:01 PM.
11-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,256
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
Last night I shot a Professional Basketball game for an article I am working on regarding 2 of the new rookies from the recent draft.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Philippine Basketball, It has been a religion here ever since its introduction several decades ago.

I am still familiarizing myself with how the K5 performs, so for a test, I shot the entire game with Cool white fluorescent WB, Manual Mode at 1/800 f2.8 and at ISO 5000.

settings in camera Jpeg 10mp, 4star, Bright mode, NR on low, Auto 5 AF pts, and AF-C with release priority favoring faster FPS (not focus lock)

The K5 yielded far more keepers than the K7 might have, and the Af-c was pretty snappy and accurate.

What I am really enjoying is that the K5 is even more silent than the K7. The venue has really poor mixed lighting so I was more than pleased with the result.

My next attempt will be while shooting RAW

Here are some samples:
Great shots!

Obviously, there was a less than ideal lighting situation and you did well, very well, considering it!
I don't really care of this was JPEG; it does show however what the K5 can do with AF.C in such environment ... usually not so friendly for photographers.

ISO 5000 too! Wide open aperture ... fast shutter speed ... and the use of the AF.C with release priority.
In one word: great!

Looking forward to see the RAW series too!

Cheers.

JP

11-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #24
Forum Member
doc.mark.dimo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
These exposure settings are for a light value of LV 7. That's very low illumination for action photography. Good results under the circumstances. Will be interesting to see if using raw helps any more.

Was this the 50-150/F2.8? If so, did you have to crop a lot because of the relatively low max. FL or did you restrict yourself to one end of the court? I've never shot basketball so I'm unsure if you need any more FL to cover the ends of the court.

Dan
Thanks for the compliment. I shot the images with the DA* 50-135 f2.8. One of my all time favorite multi purpose lenses.

The lighting really took a bit of a workaround, but i felt the AF-c performed beautifully under those conditions.
11-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #25
Forum Member
doc.mark.dimo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
These exposure settings are for a light value of LV 7. That's very low illumination for action photography. Good results under the circumstances. Will be interesting to see if using raw helps any more.

Was this the 50-150/F2.8? If so, did you have to crop a lot because of the relatively low max. FL or did you restrict yourself to one end of the court? I've never shot basketball so I'm unsure if you need any more FL to cover the ends of the court.

Dan
Hi Dan,

I was shooting with the DA* 50-135 f2.8 and I was courtside in the corner and dodging flying players attempting to retrieve loose balls.

some images were mildly cropped to improve composition, but for the most part, they are straight out of the camera
11-25-2010, 01:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian
dosdan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,699
QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
some images were mildly cropped to improve composition, but for the most part, they are straight out of the camera
That's close tracking. I'm used to shooting U7 & U8 soccer and it's hard to track that closely, particularly if you want to keep the ball in frame. (A shot of a magnificent kick without the ball in shot just doesn't work.)

So you were tracking them in portrait mode? Did you find it difficult to keep the players with the ball in frame?

Where you using single shot, a lot of short bursts, or single shot with the occasional burst when players were close to the basket?

Dan.
11-25-2010, 03:37 AM   #27
Forum Member
doc.mark.dimo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
That's close tracking. I'm used to shooting U7 & U8 soccer and it's hard to track that closely, particularly if you want to keep the ball in frame. (A shot of a magnificent kick without the ball in shot just doesn't work.)

So you were tracking them in portrait mode? Did you find it difficult to keep the players with the ball in frame?

Where you using single shot, a lot of short bursts, or single shot with the occasional burst when players were close to the basket?

Dan.
I simply followed the players within the viewfinder with the camera oriented in portrait mode facilitated with the vertical grip. I shot series of burst when they transitioned down court and most if not all were sharp.

Then the play came within the key, I just let the bursts go in 3-4 frame bursts to catch the action under the net.

I agree fantastic action without the ball in the frame or in contact with the player is essentially useless.

I was actually impressed with how the cpu maintained the player i was tracking in focus despite other players entering the frame and possibly fooling the af sensors.
11-25-2010, 03:46 AM   #28
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sofia,Bulgaria.
Posts: 56
Браво,колега!
Това са много добри снимки!
И показват възможностите на следящ автофокус добре.
Очаквам да покажеш още снимки.
Поздрав!
11-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #29
Site Supporter
andre-mz5's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eindhoven
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 268
If the basketball action shots are taken with the DA* 50-135 then I am realy interested to see action shots form a K5 + Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM combo. I have both lenses, but on my K7 the Sigma is much faster with respect to AF then the 50-135.
By the way, those are great shots Mark Dimo
11-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #30
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I made a serie this day with K-5, FA*85mm set to f2.0 so there is only a very shallow DOF. It either hits it or misses it. I put the pictures in a batch true PSE7 and made them 1024pixels wide and give it auto-sharpening.

I used the setting AF-C and in the menu choosen for priority to set focus (not framerate) and chosen auto-selectionpoint with the 5 centre cross AF-points to choos from.

You van see the serie:

Picasa Web Albums - Ron Hendriks - Pentax K-5 AF...

Select full screen and just watch the show.
I'm gonna jump my own post. All shown picturs, volleyball and basketball, are great, but they are just single shots from a long or short serie. You can only look and judge the AF-c serie when you can look at the hole bunch and not just the one perfect shot in them.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, af.c, camera, dslr, images, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, modes, pentax k-5, tests
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Samsung GX. No real prospect of comeback" emr Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 01-13-2010 09:38 PM
"Real Life" Rusty Farm Stuff - bokeh content mikeSF Post Your Photos! 17 04-21-2009 10:43 AM
"Real-life stuff" — with birds! HAHA! gawan Post Your Photos! 24 04-20-2009 06:39 AM
Buying First "Real" Camera and Need Opinion On ZX-5 w/Accesories brandontowey Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 02-15-2009 07:13 AM
The "real" values for the FA 77mm f/1.8 Ltd. Just out of curiosity. bc_the_path Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 06-02-2008 05:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top