Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy with AF.S and AF.C

I have been very happy with the autofocus on moving targets. These of F111 aircraft using AF.C on a Sigma 100-300 f4 (screw drive focus):

The Last Dump and Burn - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Picasa Web Albums - Adrian Morrison - F111 Last Fli...

My usual mode for taking pictures of birds is with a DA*300 f4 with the focus motor turned off and AF.S on the camera to use 'catch in focus'. Haven't had any decent moving targest of late.

12-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good shot, Andras.

You mention using the five-points AF with your K5, and it seems more people are also using it.
I take it that the K5 would actually perform better for BIF than with using the single point AF?
Which AF option did you use - focus priority?

JP
I used the 5-point..actually haven't tried the 11-point..no specific reason for that. (actually that was the first time I tried out the AUTO AF-C and as my camera is away for replacement I have no opportunity to try the 11 point). And yes I used focus priority.

Andras
12-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
I have been very happy with the autofocus on moving targets. These of F111 aircraft using AF.C on a Sigma 100-300 f4 (screw drive focus):

My usual mode for taking pictures of birds is with a DA*300 f4 with the focus motor turned off and AF.S on the camera to use 'catch in focus'. Haven't had any decent moving targest of late.
And you used a 1.5X TC as well (at least that is what I read from your user's gallery photos), which usually makes it more difficult; so, congrats!

JP
12-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
I used the 5-point..actually haven't tried the 11-point..no specific reason for that. (actually that was the first time I tried out the AUTO AF-C and as my camera is away for replacement I have no opportunity to try the 11 point). And yes I used focus priority.

Andras
Thanks Andras.

JP

01-08-2011, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #50
Inactive Account

AF-C 5-point AUTO..makes me HAPPY!!! not to talk about iso3200 IQ!

All taken with my (third) K-5 (tungsten light AF is still...)..but here we are talking about AF-C and I have to tell you that it is great..together with the continious shooting, the RAW buffer, the high ISO IQ and the ability to crop from this camera is wonderful!!!

..and of course the lens..the DA55-300 at f8-f10, all pictures at iso3200 except the last one which was only iso2000..but later I discovered that the faster shutter with the higher iso makes the pictures even better with no IQ loss .(rather those pictures are better with those fast moving birds)

taken during early afternoon-with the winter Sun fairly low-so high iso was needed..now with this combo looking forward to the warmer weather when all those birds are coming home!

Thanks for looking

Andras

Last edited by planedriver; 01-08-2011 at 09:00 AM.
01-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #51
Inactive Account

some egrets don't fly to warmer places during Winter..I met these in the nearby town today:

da55-300 iso1600 f10

Andras
01-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
some egrets don't fly to warmer places during Winter..I met these in the nearby town today:

da55-300 iso1600 f10

Andras
Flight No. B08 now departing from Velence International Airport.

That is a great shot.

JP

01-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
AF-C 5-point AUTO..makes me HAPPY!!! not to talk about iso3200 IQ!

All taken with my (third) K-5 (tungsten light AF is still...)..but here we are talking about AF-C and I have to tell you that it is great..together with the continious shooting, the RAW buffer, the high ISO IQ and the ability to crop from this camera is wonderful!!!

..and of course the lens..the DA55-300 at f8-f10, all pictures at iso3200 except the last one which was only iso2000..but later I discovered that the faster shutter with the higher iso makes the pictures even better with no IQ loss .(rather those pictures are better with those fast moving birds)

taken during early afternoon-with the winter Sun fairly low-so high iso was needed..now with this combo looking forward to the warmer weather when all those birds are coming home!

Thanks for looking

Andras
I am especially surprised with the second image: very little contrast between the duck and the background - that is usually a difficult situation for any AF, no matter what the brand.

JP
01-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am especially surprised with the second image: very little contrast between the duck and the background - that is usually a difficult situation for any AF, no matter what the brand.

JP

I have to tell you that the lights and contrasts were actually even worse..the fog just broke up.. misty colorless sky in the background..the picture here is "contrasted" and I even "reduced" the exposure..

..so now I'm even happier..thanks for the info!

Andras
01-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote

I never use catch-in focus for BIF but the idea seems feasible!

Off topic, Adrian: Hope all is well for you out there.
Drop a note here so we know you guys are safe.
Cheers!

JP
01-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Slightly off-topic, but now that I'm forced to use my K-x again while my K-5 is off for replacement, I've realized just how massive an improvement the K-5 has in the AF department.

Forget front focusing under artificial light (which my K-5 didn't do). Right now I'm fighting with my K-x, with infinity focus be way off mark 75% of the time under bright street lights on fresh snow (very bright for a night scene), and hunting and failing entirely under dim indoor lighting, even with f/2.8 lenses. Under the exact same conditions my K-5 hardly hesitated at all, and almost never failed to find some sort of focus (even if it was a little off sometimes).

Please hurry up Pentax and send me my replacement K-5, so I can stop fighting with the AF!

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-11-2011 at 11:26 PM.
01-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #57
Forum Member

Here is my contribution. I only had one good day with the K-5 before the season was over, but I've also had a chance to shot some super low-light aps-c (dance recital) with great results too. Sorry for the low contrast images, it wasn't the camera or the lens, it was just a very hazy day (I have versions with pp to fix it, but these are straight from camera).

APS-C; 5 point; sigma 100-300; f 4; 1/6400; ISO 800

First a rapid fire series (I have a lot of goods ones from this day but too much trouble uploading all of them):

Touchdown!!!

Second, a couple of my favorite action shots from a day of shooting on AvTv mode (like the above series), which is a pentax only option which my canikoner sports shooting friends are very jealous of (with a bit of post):

01-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
Here is my contribution. I only had one good day with the K-5 before the season was over, but I've also had a chance to shot some super low-light aps-c (dance recital) with great results too. Sorry for the low contrast images, it wasn't the camera or the lens, it was just a very hazy day (I have versions with pp to fix it, but these are straight from camera).

APS-C; 5 point; sigma 100-300; f 4; 1/6400; ISO 800

First a rapid fire series (I have a lot of goods ones from this day but too much trouble uploading all of them):

Touchdown!!!

Second, a couple of my favorite action shots from a day of shooting on AvTv mode (like the above series), which is a pentax only option which my canikoner sports shooting friends are very jealous of (with a bit of post):
Great action images!

In spite of the "low contrast", I think you did extremely well here.

You used the 5-points AF-C; would this be your preference for action shots such as this football game as well as for BIF by any chance?

TAv is one great mode with the Pentax cameras, especially with the K5 where you don't really have to worry about noisy images if the camera sets the ISO very high.

Thanks for sharing!

JP
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #59

Great shots benisona! I'd say this one is definately the best one of the series: http://i55.tinypic.com/54viuw.jpg
01-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #60

Take a look at www.dijkx.com in the "pentax KR & K5" section, for quite a few Kr en K5 AF-C samples.

Last edited by dijkx; 01-12-2011 at 02:29 PM.