Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Real Life" K5 AF.C images yet?

So, we've seen lots of tests, reviews and sample shots from the K5 in all possible AF modes.

Where do we find "real life" pics taken in AF.S and AF.C on this forum?

Real Life (NOT tests): fast trains, automobiles, children playing/jumping, planes, birds, runners, etc ... stuff that you would normally take for your pleasure, but all in AF mode(s) with subject coming toward the camera/away from you. Images (always "real life") under poor lighting conditions and AF.

Let's see them.

JP

11-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There's a guy on "the other" Pentax forum who has posted a lot of Bird-In-Flight shots done with the K-5. BIF's are pretty challenging on any AF-C system.

They are very good, but I suspect more due to the photographer's skill and experience.
11-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, we've seen lots of tests, reviews and sample shots from the K5 in all possible AF modes.

Where do we find "real life" pics taken in AF.S and AF.C on this forum?

Real Life (NOT tests): fast trains, automobiles, children playing/jumping, planes, birds, runners, etc ... stuff that you would normally take for your pleasure, but all in AF mode(s) with subject coming toward the camera/away from you. Images (always "real life") under poor lighting conditions and AF.

Let's see them.

JP
If surfers are fast enough, I have a series but only one up so far near the end of the 300+ Club thread. You tell me why my PF Album shots are so soft compared to the exact upload and link from Flicker and I will post a lot more. Hint of outcome- The AF.C really works sweet! Can't say I trusted it on the k20d (never used a k-7) but I did the usual birds, oncoming cars, bullets but I don't post that stuff. If you like surfers, check this, tell my what I am doing wrong on the upload and more will follow.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55946-300mm-pl...ml#post1267648
11-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With due courtesy and credit to original shooter;
Flickr: benchan21's Photostream

When it comes to search for images, not google but flickr is your friend
Atindra

11-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
There's a guy on "the other" Pentax forum who has posted a lot of Bird-In-Flight shots done with the K-5. BIF's are pretty challenging on any AF-C system.

They are very good, but I suspect more due to the photographer's skill and experience.
Thanks.

I do have quite a few BIF shots taken with the K20D and K7, and they turned out good ( ... out of several dozens missed shots! ) so that is why I am looking for those kinds of pics as well.
Care to send me a PM and the link to that "other Pentax forum" if you can't won't post it here?

Cheers.

JP

---------- Post added 11-17-10 at 10:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
If surfers are fast enough, I have a series but only one up so far near the end of the 300+ Club thread. You tell me why my PF Album shots are so soft compared to the exact upload and link from Flicker and I will post a lot more. Hint of outcome- The AF.C really works sweet! Can't say I trusted it on the k20d (never used a k-7) but I did the usual birds, oncoming cars, bullets but I don't post that stuff. If you like surfers, check this, tell my what I am doing wrong on the upload and more will follow.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55946-300mm-pl...ml#post1267648
Hi Lee.

I've just checked the surfer's shot and I do too find the PF image much softer than the other.
This issue, I asked several times here why my images were often very soft and almost OOF when my originals were sharp.
I was told that because of the compression (JPEG) and a very low res (700 MP max) were the culprit. So, I wonder why some pics are indeed totally washed out while others, with the same weight and res, show up beautifully.

As for Flicker, sorry Lee, I have absolutely no experience with that ... never even posted anything there and believe me or not ... never visited the site!

My guess is that Flicker allows for more "weight" to your donwloaded pics to here? It is just a guess though.

I would certainly like to see more of your pics, especially taken with long glass with the K5 since I use a similar combo most of the time (DA*300/4 with or without the 1.7X Pentax adapter).

Looking forward to more images and hopefully some answers to your question. This would actually be of great help to me also.

Cheers.

JP

---------- Post added 11-17-10 at 10:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
With due courtesy and credit to original shooter;
Flickr: benchan21's Photostream

When it comes to search for images, not google but flickr is your friend
Atindra
Just checked your pics taken with the K5/Hi cont AF.C and they turned out really well.
You used focus priority AF?

I am becoming more and more convinced that the K5 AF.C does indeed show much improvement over the K7.

Thanks for sharing.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 11-17-2010 at 08:21 AM.
11-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@jzpk

Those are not my shots. I just happen to see on flickr and was very impressed. I doubt the original shooter is member of either PF or DPR.

Atindra
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
Those are not my shots. I just happen to see on flickr and was very impressed. I doubt the original shooter is member of either PF or DPR.

Atindra
Sorry about the mistake.
No mention to which group this photographer belongs.
Good shots, nevertheless.

JP
11-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks.

Hi Lee.

I've just checked the surfer's shot and I do too find the PF image much softer than the other.
This issue, I asked several times here why my images were often very soft and almost OOF when my originals were sharp.
I was told that because of the compression (JPEG) and a very low res (700 MP max) were the culprit. So, I wonder why some pics are indeed totally washed out while others, with the same weight and res, show up beautifully.

As for Flicker, sorry Lee, I have absolutely no experience with that ... never even posted anything there and believe me or not ... never visited the site!

My guess is that Flicker allows for more "weight" to your donwloaded pics to here? It is just a guess though.

I would certainly like to see more of your pics, especially taken with long glass with the K5 since I use a similar combo most of the time (DA*300/4 with or without the 1.7X Pentax adapter).

Looking forward to more images and hopefully some answers to your question. This would actually be of great help to me also.

Cheers.

JP
Thanks for the answer about the PF Album. Guess I will just delete from PF and upload them all to Flickr to post here. The difference in IQ too great to ignore.

11-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm compiling collections of real-world samples from the K-5. Here's the action/sports set so far:

Flickr: Discussing Samples - Sports/Action in Pentax K-5 Fan Club

Some of the surfing shots are there as well as football, running, and BIF.
11-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

john,absolute great pictures in your flickr
what a color,what brillant,absolut nice!!

Best regards,Andy
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
john,absolute great pictures in your flickr
what a color,what brillant,absolut nice!!

Best regards,Andy
Hey Andy, just to be clear - the photos in the link I posted aren't mine. I encourage you to click on the photos that you like and compliment the photographer!
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

*side note*

John - just clicked through you flickr and realized you were at PPE. Man, we shoulda connected!

*back on target*
11-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Thanks for the answer about the PF Album. Guess I will just delete from PF and upload them all to Flickr to post here. The difference in IQ too great to ignore.
Yes Lee.

I did inquire right here to the admin about that and of course, because of the low res produced with JPEG compression at 700k .... we can't really expect more I suppose.
I wonder how some folks can post some greatly detailed shots though.
How the heck can we do that?
Hopefully, some folks will be able to tell us more.

Cheers.

JP

---------- Post added 11-17-10 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm compiling collections of real-world samples from the K-5. Here's the action/sports set so far:

Some of the surfing shots are there as well as football, running, and BIF.
Yo John!

Thanks for posting the link(s).

The one image that struck me most, tecnically speaking, is the seagull coming toward the camera. This shows what the AF can do under such circumstances.

As for the other pics, ... all well executed considering the sort of action present.

I noticed that most of them were taken under good lighting conditions. This would actually help the AF, if I am not mistaken.

Did you find any such action shots taken under poor lighting conditions?

Cheers.

JP
11-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes Lee.

I did inquire right here to the admin about that and of course, because of the low res produced with JPEG compression at 700k .... we can't really expect more I suppose.
I wonder how some folks can post some greatly detailed shots though.
How the heck can we do that?
Hopefully, some folks will be able to tell us more.

Cheers.

JP
Its not the files size I am bumping up against because my source was already downsized to 300KB before the upload and looks fine everywhere except PF Albums.

Your question to John about low light AF.C; I have no keepers to prove it yet because its simply such a huge leap from the capability of my K20d that I have not pushed far enough to get the low light shots you seek. Its taking a while to get comfortable with what I can now so I can produce nice shots but regardless of how its ultimately judged...it works beyond my expectations at this time.
11-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Yo John!

Thanks for posting the link(s).

The one image that struck me most, tecnically speaking, is the seagull coming toward the camera. This shows what the AF can do under such circumstances.

As for the other pics, ... all well executed considering the sort of action present.

I noticed that most of them were taken under good lighting conditions. This would actually help the AF, if I am not mistaken.

Cheers.

JP
Hey JP,

The bike in the half pipe was under very poor lighting conditions - dim and harsh. I've photographed in the Javits Convention Center for many years and hate it every time.

If you look at the EXIF, you'll see:
50mm
F3.2
1/400
ISO6400

IIRC, I had my trusty M50/1.7 in my bag just in case...

I've added some more half-pipe photos. Check them out:

And here's a 3-shot sequence with 100% crops:

Click here for the full-size 100% version.

They aren't tack sharp, but not bad considering I was not familiar with the camera (I'm used to the K20d) and was shooting under poor lighting conditions.

Here's an interesting comparison - I just found another shot on Flickr by a guy with a Canon7D:

Also ISO6400, F2.8, faster shutter speed than me. Don't know if he's done any PP to this image, but I'll be the first to say that it's sharper than my shots - just look at the stitching on the pants.

I guess the question is - how much of the difference is due to the guy behind the viewfinder?