Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SD Card Removal K- 5

Does anyone else find it difficult to remove the SD card from the K- 5? I thought it was just me and my big fat fingers, but my wife with her nimble little fingers also battled to remove it!

We, of course, did push it in first and it does release - but still tough to remove!

11-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I heard of this before on the K7, and it multiple reviews Ive read online before purchasing the camera.....Im a Bricklayer with calloused fingers and large hands. and Ive never had a problem yet!....
11-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes. I am finding it difficult. Right, I do have rather large hands, and I am finding it difficult to get a grip on the card to remove it. However, it is the only complaint I have, so far with K5
Maybe it is that some cards are easier to remove than others.
11-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willywalker Quote
Does anyone else find it difficult to remove the SD card from the K- 5? I thought it was just me and my big fat fingers, but my wife with her nimble little fingers also battled to remove it!

We, of course, did push it in first and it does release - but still tough to remove!

I have to at times keep pushing the card in and out till it is easier to remove.

Had to once resort to using small plyers

11-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #5

You need to use the spring to "throw" the SD card out. Press it in and compress the spring, and release the card while the spring is still under compression.

Works every time. Or just use the PC cable to transfer your photos.
11-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CorneliusK Quote
You need to use the spring to "throw" the SD card out. Press it in and compress the spring, and release the card while the spring is still under compression.

Works every time. Or just use the PC cable to transfer your photos.
I'll give that a try - thanks!
11-17-2010, 02:49 AM   #7

springing it out works like a charm...

i just push it down with my thumbnail and then let it jump up and it is easy to take out.

if i just push down and slowly release the spring it seems impossible to take out the card by pulling. i stopped trying in fear of damaging the card.

11-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

At least for the K7 some cameras release the card better than others. C.R.I.S has seen various levels of tolerances on the mechanisms.

I've heard the spring can nearly fully eject the card without pulling it out. For me, I'm lucky if the card moves at all regardless of the technique used to make it "spring" out.

Either way, the K5 body is nearly identical to the K7 so fat finger issues remain an issue. :-)

I just put a piece of plastic tape hanging off the end of all of my cards so I can pull them out more easily.
11-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use camera's USB as a work-around...

Like for you, card removal from my K-7 was tricky, at first. Use the 'spring method' described in earlier replies. Give it some time to loosen-up.

You can also use the camera's USB connection to download images. My laptop's built-in card reader is defective (took forever to discover that BTW), so it was USB for me until I got a removable card reader.

Guess it's a small price to pay for serious weather/dust sealing, don't you think?

Cheers...
11-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CorneliusK Quote

Works every time.
Yes it does too (almost), but now I've lost my %^@$*& 16GB card!
This could create a small problem out in the field...

I wonder if you can buy card nets to catch the rotten things?

.R.
11-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't find it hard at all- my trick is to push it with my fingernail tilted at a 45 degree angle, so that the card doesn't pry open on accident. Before doing this, I accidentally ended up ruining a 16gb card - it separated near the bottom
11-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I got home and tried the "spring method" and it proved to be a success!
Thanks to all.
11-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willywalker Quote
Thanks guys. I got home and tried the "spring method" and it proved to be a success!
Thanks to all.
If you don't succeed with the "spring method", or you if you are annoyed with your camera behavior, check this post from AndiLo:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/120285-problems-removing...y-k-5-a-2.html
11-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My K-7 is a little fiddly getting the card out, more so than my K20D (or other previous Pentaxes) was. I usually had to use my fingernails to grab it and give it a tug. I would guess the K-5 is about the same, I'll know tomorrow.

One of the cameras I've owned had a spring strong enough that it would literally launch the card through the air... gotta be careful with that one.
11-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #15

I agree, a little tough to grab the card. I will have to try the spring jettison trick.