Photos: Gallery
NeoCamera Review of K-5

FYI, if not posted already...

Pentax K-5 Detailed Review | Neocamera

Cheers...

11-17-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Despite all their praise to the K-5 is still think the NeoCamera crew is extremely incompetent and they don't know a lot about photography.
That's the impression I've got from other articles on that site. Reading their review of K-5 is a waste of time. Mainly bacause one of those gorgeous cameras is lying on my desk.
11-25-2010, 07:40 AM - 3 Likes   #3

Thank you for putting down 5 years of hard work without an ounce of substance! You've helped no one here even though you seem to have bothered to read at least part of the review.

If you have a K-5 already, then you should not need to read any review about, you're not the target audience, people who don't have a K-5 are.

Neocamera is one of the few camera sites run by a photographer and we understand the importance of usability and how they affect the experience of taking pictures. Everything you read on the internet is someone's opinion, it can diverge from what you think for hundreds of reasons but every piece we write is about getting equipment and using it for photography. The site is not written by robots either, humans make mistakes and we've had people write when we missed a single apostrophe! We even take the time to answer polite and respectful emails.

- Itai Danan
Neocamera Principal Editor & Professional Pentaxian
11-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Despite all their praise to the K-5 is still think the NeoCamera crew is extremely incompetent and they don't know a lot about photography.
That's the impression I've got from other articles on that site. Reading their review of K-5 is a waste of time. Mainly bacause one of those gorgeous cameras is lying on my desk.
haven't your parents ever taught you "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

that does not, however, apply to canikons. =]

Last edited by Eagle_Friends; 11-25-2010 at 09:22 AM.
11-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry for the quick judgement but first time I came across that site was when I read some article there about the general future of photography technology. That really didn't impress me... My impression was that the writer didn't know much about either photography or technology.
11-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote

.....hummm... that was rude. I think it was an honest and informative review. Plus made by enthusiasts that put it at your disposal for free. so i think you should show some respect at least for their work
11-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Itai Nice review

Et la photo de nuit sur University/Viger est vraiment belle!

Pat
11-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

+1 for the good review Itai.

11-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #9

The author claims rotating a picture is detrimental to the quality... Back to school!

QuoteQuote:
The greatest thing about the K-5 is that it helps take better pictures. It does this with a bright 100% coverage viewfinder and automatic horizon correction. This means that the photographer avoids having to crop and rotate images unexpectedly. Rotation is detrimental to image quality and therefore avoiding it helps produce higher quality images. Cropping is not damaging by itself but knowing what is going to be in the frame is a relief to the photographer and maximizes the resolution of resulting images.

Last edited by nickmeertens; 11-25-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Adding quote from review
11-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #10

Really appreciated the review. Sounds pretty consistant with the others out there. Hopefully the WB performance is still up to par with the competitors dispite "getting confused in low light".
11-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickmeertens Quote
The author claims rotating a picture is detrimental to the quality...
Some image viewing programs do save a rotated image as a jpeg of lower quality than the original.

Good, well written and reasoned review btw.
11-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #12

Yes, lossless rotation exist but only in 90-degree increments. That is because to rotate by 90-degree you don't HAVE to invent pixels, just rearrange them.

With a small rotation (say your picture was not quite level and you did not use Auto Horizon Correction), the software doing the rotation must actually process all the pixels to create new ones.

- Itai
11-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Itai Nice review

Et la photo de nuit sur University/Viger est vraiment belle!

Pat
Merci!

- Itai
11-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Itai Quote
Yes, lossless rotation exist but only in 90-degree increments. That is because to rotate by 90-degree you don't HAVE to invent pixels, just rearrange them.

With a small rotation (say your picture was not quite level and you did not use Auto Horizon Correction), the software doing the rotation must actually process all the pixels to create new ones.

- Itai
I rest my case.
11-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickmeertens Quote
I rest my case.
nickmeertens - I am not sure what you are suggesting here. Itai is correct when he says that rotating to any angle other than 90x will result in loss of quality. When you use straighten tool to rotate to an arbitrary angle, some additional pixels need to be interpolated. This may lead to the result looking less sharp.

cheers,