Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #1

Size/Egronomics vs Panasonic G1

Dear Pentax forums, my first post here ..... oh the tingle:ugh:

Anyhow, I am currently a Nikon D300 shooter, but for reasons of portability and my ever aging back, I also have a Panasonic G1 that I use for may of my event type shooting situations. That would be, kids out playing, parties, some actual commercial events that I have been asked to shoot, vacations, seaworld, etc ....

So, my question here only relates to size and ergonomics, I find the G1 a pleasure to carry around, I most often shoot with a 20mm or the kit lens. Quite light and gives a pretty responsive experience. However, the IQ leaves a bit to be desired. So, in my more critical situations, I have started to carry the D300 with either the 35mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8. This gives a fairly light kit, but sill not nearly as small as the G1.

So, my question is, how does the K-5 compare to the G1 ONLY in terms of size in the hand, and overall feel. I have looked out on the web, and in round number it's 10 percent bigger, but I'm trying to get a real world idea what that means to users.

Thanks for the help on this.

Dave

11-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #2

Just Fine

Hi Dave
I've just grabbed a K5 (I also shoot Sony A900 and Leica M9), but I have also owned a G1.
Well, the K5 is heavier than the G1 (closer to the D300), so if it's just weight you're considering . . .
But, it's much closer to the size of the G1, and a K5 with a 35 and a 50 would be much smaller (and nicer) than a D300 equivalent. Added to which it's really quiet, and lovely to use

In terms of Image Quality I think It's pretty much a different league - the K5 really is excellent, as is the high ISO. I'm currently using a 35 f2.8 limited / macro, which is lovely, the lightweight 18-55 kit (less so) and I'm waiting for a Zeiss 50 f1.4 to arrive.

all the best
Jonathan Slack