Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Continuous Shooting Slow?

I have had a fairly good look through the forum to make sure this has not been dealt with elsewhere. If i missed it and am now repeating this - apologies!

I set up my K-5 using the memory card from my K10D and noticed that it took a long time for each shot to download - about three to five seconds! I also noticed that in the "Continuous Shooting" mode I could only take three exposures before shooting ground to a halt. Nowhere close to the advertised 7.0 fps!

I assumed that my Class 6 SD Card was not up to handling the extra file size and replaced it with a Class 10 card. No change!

To cut a long story short, I found mention in the Operating Manual that "the shooting speed may be slower when [Lens Correction] is set to on." I immediately turned that off and still not much of an improvement. I then turned off "Lateral chromatic aberration" and suddenly the problem was solved.

I hope this helps one or two of you out there.

11-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No harm in pointing this out again (though the thread title is a bit misleading), but going back to the K-x and K-7, it is pretty well documented that using the built-in lens correction features will slow down processing and continuous shooting. Kind of unfortunate, since they are good features--I haven't decided yet if I'll leave the lens correction features on or off.
11-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #3

funny enough i discovered lens correction on my k7 relatively recently - i turned it on and put my camera away - 2 days later i had my camera out and shot a photo and was convinced my camera was broken lol took so long for the image to appear - will definately turn it off for when i need fast frame rate but otherwise think its quite a good idea
11-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
An interesting piece of information relevant to this post....

http://www.*************/news/1011/10111706pentaxk5firmware.asp

11-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
OK try this link!!!

Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
11-19-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received some good advice.

* There are several relevant threads in the general dSLR camera section that are reelvant.

* For Hi continuous shooting, it is critical that:
- you switch off all in-camera PP incl. lens distortion correction and including other less obvious lik High ISO correction ...
- you select a file type & size that is consistent with the buffer size of your camera and the number of shots that you want to take in each sequence,
- you have a high-speed SD card (eg Class 10) to empty your buffer rapidly.

I have a K-7 with a Sandisk Extreme III Class 10 card. I switch off all in-camera PP and I use JPEG 10 Mp [**] to have some long sequences of Hi continuous shots. I often shoot 20 to 50 shots in a sequence.

Hope that the comment will help...
11-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

I was looking at the appropriate thread for this 'discovery', related to the above. This thread looks appropriate. This is with the v1.01 bios...

Last night I was playing around inside with only a few hundred watts of lights on with the continuous HI and Low to see how many shots I could get. thought I changed a setting that had a side-effect of slowing down continuous shooting. I didn't have any lens correction enabled. I was still set on "Hi" mode.

I soon realized when I pointed at the while wall/corner, his was shooting at max. Point at the TV, speed was max. Point at a light, speed was max. Point at dimly lit areas, and speed dramatically decreased to from 3 - 1 shot a sec. So I realized EV level had a huge impact on the continuous rate.

I was doing a lot of continuous shooting of the dogs playing with a ball today, outside, and continuous was at max speed.

Oh, p.s. I found in Continuous AF the camera would often take some shots with the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II lens completely out of focus; some other times near but very much out of focus. In continuous shooting mode, that's kind'a 'ok' as long as the subject motion isn't too fast and you miss a moment. ...just another thing along the lines of "know your gear" related to continuous AF and shooting.

Last edited by m8o; 11-21-2010 at 10:40 PM.
11-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
Forum Member

Нормално е при слаба светлина скоростта на снимане да пада,зради удължаване на необходимото за експонация време.
11-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

M80 - you can set the camera to either fps priority or focus priority when using continuous af - sounds like you have it set to fps priority. Also, I think in the manual it states that at higher iso values the frames per second will slow due to extra processing at higher iso levels
11-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
Forum Member

How would Lateral chromatic aberration slow a Camera Down? That's the firsat time I have heard that.
11-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Lover Quote
How would Lateral chromatic aberration slow a Camera Down?
It has more to do, so it must take longer.
11-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Forum Member

Thanks, Arpe
11-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
I've noticed that if I want the 7.0 fps I've to switch off the exposure automatics by pressing the AE-L button. Without it's maybe 4 fps only.