Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #16
Forum Member

I just recently switched to Pentax from Nikon, but I was in somewhat of a different position then you. I had only one mid-range zoom and a couple low-to-medium cost primes. I found that I really wanted to upgrade to some fast (f/2.8) zooms. In the process I found that I could go with the Pentax 16-50 f/2.8 + 50-135 f/2.8, K-5, and a flash for the same cost as the Nikon 24-70 and 20-700 VRII. So it came down to upgrading the whole "kit" or just a couple lenses. Ultimately, there was just some X-factor about the Pentax system that I liked. I also didn't like that I'd have to do without VR/IS on the 24-70.

However, I have to agree with some of the other posters. I you are happy with the two lenses you have (assuming you still have them of course), then the 7D sounds like a more reasonable upgrade path. You can certainly get some good Pentax lenses, but the two you have are very good. Certainly, you aren't going to beat the 70-200 f/4L IS unless you really need the extra stop.

Ultimately, I would find it difficult to change systems based on a camera. As good at the K-5 is, it will be bested in no more than 2 years (probably less).

11-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thashef Quote
I guess if I had to say why I am thinking about switching the only reason I can think of is that Canon 7D is good, but it seems like Pentax beats out Canon 7D from what I have read, I could be wrong. Also Canon lenses are really expensive and if I really wanted to get any other lenses for Canon I always have to think about L series lens. Once you get spoiled by it then its hard to switch to regular Canon lenses.

The camera I really want is the 5DM2, but I can't afford it so thats pretty much of out of question. I could sell the 24-105 and 70-200 and recoup all the money I spent on it, so from that perspective switching is not that hard, the bigger question is going to be am I going to like Pentax or not.

I would say 18-250 sounds like a good option, but not sure how its going to compare to my Canon lenses.
Does the Pentax K-5 beat out the Canon 7D? Not exactly. I feel they are very similar, with the 7D having the edge in things like sports shooting and video and the K-5 having the edge for other styles of shooting because it fits similar performance into a smaller body with integrated shake reduction.

What I would recommend is that you pick up the 7D or Canon 60D and wait a few years. By then the Canon 5D Mark II will have dropped to a reasonable price and you can buy the camera you want.

Either that, or check out some Pentax lenses and see if any interest you enough to make the switch. I'd say to replicate your two lenses, the best combo would be the DA*16-50 f/2.8 and DA*60-250 f/4. But also check out some prime lenses. If no Pentax lenses look good, you should definitely stay where you're at.
11-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Other than having a stellar new camera in the K-5, Pentax offers at least two things that the 7D does not--a compact, lightweight body and in-body image stabilization. You might not appreciate the value of the latter until you realize that every lens that you will ever use will be stabilized at no extra cost. My K-7 (same body as the K-5) with DA*16-50/2.8 attached is a great walk around combination. Add a couple of small, fast, brilliant primes in a waist pack, and I have everything that I really need for a whole day of shooting. You would have a hard time matching it with comparable quality Canon gear.

Rob
11-17-2010, 09:45 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use both systems, having added the Canon 7D and several lenses during the past four months to a substantial toolbox around the Pentax K20D. I have used the K-7, but not the K-5, so I’ll limit my comments to what I’ve experienced from a system-wide level.

Both systems are good. Both excel in different areas. But do realize that neither system can replace gaps in the other system. In other words both systems are imperfect.

Bodies and features

The Pentax is more ergonomic and compact. That said, the 7D is a big leap from your prior body and is almost as satisfying to use as Pentax. But it is larger and heavier.

You will need to figure out what features in both bodies matter the most to you. In the Pentax, the IS is built-in, and the weatherproofing is more substantial. The 7D, OTOH, has a more configurable and faster AF system when used with lenses such as the ones you have. The Canon also has a faster frame rate, but this matters more for sports and wildlife photography. The 7D also has some weather resistance.

Having used both systems in very soggy weather conditions in Puget Sound, I feel that the weather resistance (especially the small-time comparing which system is sealed tighter) is a little overrated, especially for someone with the OP’s basic needs. For both Pentax and Canon systems, I’ve used a rain cover to keep the driving rain off the viewfinder and the lens end in order to get the shot. Overall, a secondary requirement.

I also think the built-in IS is overrated; I really don’t miss it. I do find lenses with the IS built in are superior, but I also disable it for some sports shooting. Another secondary requirement.

Lenses

As noted Pentax is unique in offering a nice collection of very small and light prime lenses that provide excellent optical rendering. Unlike Canon, these are all aimed at crop-sensor shooting. They're great for walking, traveling, and long hikes.

Generally I think that Pentax zooms are not as good as Canon zooms. There are a few exceptions such as the DA* 50-135mm f2.8 and the DA 12-24mm f4, but you can get the Tokina equivalents in EOS mount (which I do have). The forthcoming 18-135mm Pentax lens may be a winner though.

Canon, OTOH, has superior AF and superior zoom lenses for the most part. And the full lens system offers more technical options, longer lenses, as well as more offerings from the third parties. None of this is small and lightweight however.

In fact the whole Canon lens system is oriented towards a FF system. It’s a little strange that Canon only offers one prime EF-S (DA) lens, a macro 60mm. Excepting the excellent 17-55mm f2.8 zoom, the other EF-S zooms are pretty average.

Support and convenience

You can walk into any real camera store and purchase Canon gear and accessories. You can call up a friend toting a Canon and ask how that lens worked for photographing the school play. Maybe he'll even lend it to you.

You are more on your own with Pentax. Some people can't handle that.

Options

Why are you considering the 7D and not the 60D? The 7D really is more of a performance camera, with a second processor dedicated to AF. That means sports and wildlife. If you don’t see yourself doing that seriously, then the 60D may save you some money. It also has a very nifty articulating LCD and what some consider better overall image rendering, Canon having tweaked some issues with the older 7D.

I would also suggest you identify your lens needs and see if what you have will match. I really like the 70-200 f4 IS--it’s better than anything Pentax has currently, but that’s a 135 format lens to me.

A more useful focal range for crop-sensor is 50-135mm because you’ll be using that more frequently. I’d sell the 24-105 as that’s more of a FF flavor too. 24mm is not wide enough for social gatherings. A 17mm-50-ish mm (either the above Canon EF-S, or the Tamron) is much more functional on a crop sensor.

OTOH, you can retain both and get a 5DMK2, but unless you are printing 20x30, I’d question why?

Finally

If you are shooting family snaps and vacation scenes, do you really need a DSLR? The newer better P&S cameras such as the LX5 are excellent. Consider unburdening your load.

Hope this helps.

M

11-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Most of the contributors to this thread deserve to win a "rational thinking" award.

Last edited by m8o; 11-17-2010 at 10:07 PM.
11-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
What are nuts Don't do it man!!! You will regret it as I did!!! In the end I returned to Canon. Heres a pic to make you change your mind. Pentax will NEVER match this set up, NEVER!!!
And this is a bad thing how????
11-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
What are nuts Don't do it man!!! You will regret it as I did!!! In the end I returned to Canon. Heres a pic to make you change your mind. Pentax will NEVER match this set up, NEVER!!!
I don't think that 40D will stack up so well against a K-5....besides, when it comes to glass, best to leave the little toys at home....

11-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #23
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
besides, when it comes to glass, best to leave the little toys at home....
Well, if we are going to measurebate lens sizes... Bring out the truck and trailer!

To OP. Get whatever makes you happier. Do you want a larger camera to hold? What ergonomics do you like better? Do you want to sell those lenses or do you want to keep them? Do you ever want to go full format? I think this is really a personal choice because it seems like you seem to know quite a bit about both systems.
11-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Well, if we are going to measurebate lens sizes... Bring out the truck and trailer!

To OP. Get whatever makes you happier. Do you want a larger camera to hold? What ergonomics do you like better? Do you want to sell those lenses or do you want to keep them? Do you ever want to go full format? I think this is really a personal choice because it seems like you seem to know quite a bit about both systems.
Actually, that's what I tell friends. Go to a store, try a few and pick up what feels right. I really don't think you can go wrong with any brand...

Unless you want to move up to MF (sorry couldn't resist....)

11-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Canon's aps-c sensor does suck right now ... 11.5ev vs 14.1ev of dynamic range :P
11-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #26
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Canon's aps-c sensor does suck right now ... 11.5ev vs 14.1ev of dynamic range :P
I wouldn't say they suck. Before the K-5 and D7000, they were top of the line. A new camera doesn't mean they now suck. It just means they are older tech now. Just like my two year old Macbook Pro. It may 'suck' compared to top of the line stuff now but it is still plenty for what I need.

Like smc said, you can't really go wrong. And like Urkeldaedalus said, just wait a few years, something new and better will be out.
11-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice breakdown Miguel.

The 7D is a fantastic camera, no doubt. However, it is pretty large and overkill for most casual photographers. I have read some complaints from other forums regarding it's size and weight. The D60 seems to be the more logical upgrade for a Rebel owner.
11-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I wouldn't say they suck. Before the K-5 and D7000, they were top of the line.
No, before the K-5 and d7000 the K-x / D90's sensor was top of the line

It would be good if they stopped playing the megapixels race game and we had a DR race instead.
11-18-2010, 12:48 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sold my 7d and bought the Kx and K7. I've owned the Canon 24-70, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 macro, both 70-300's(DO) and used the 28-300, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.2. The only frustration with Pentax so far was the low light focus. Apparently the K5 has remedied this. I sold the K7 and will buy the K5. Recently I've been forced to sell off a lot of Pentax glass due to unforeseen circumstances, but having owned and used the 10-17 fisheye, 15/4 limited, 31 limited, 35 macro, 43 limited, 77 limited, 16-50, and 50-135. For my money and the love of great small primes it's Pentax. The K5 was what I've been hoping for. It addresses most of the shortcomings.
11-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Both systems are good. Both excel in different areas. But do realize that neither system can replace gaps in the other system. In other words both systems are imperfect.

You can walk into any real camera store and purchase Canon gear and accessories. You can call up a friend toting a Canon and ask how that lens worked for photographing the school play. Maybe he'll even lend it to you.

You are more on your own with Pentax. Some people can't handle that.

Thanks Miguel, that was an excellent, objective overview. A pleasure to read.

I would hasten to add though, that a Canon system is always the safer bet for most; being both more available and much more extensible.
(No prizes for guessing why it's #1, and Pentax isn't.)

Parallels can be drawn much like the Windows OS platform on PCs really.

.R.

"Benoit Mandelbrot, 1924-2010, A Greek among Romans." -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb