Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Thanks Miguel, that was an excellent, objective overview. A pleasure to read.

I would hasten to add though, that a Canon system is always the safer bet for most; being both more available and much more extensible.
(No prizes for guessing why it's #1, and Pentax isn't.)

Parallels can be drawn much like the Windows OS platform on PCs really.
you mean, useless, overpriced, not working most of the time, being used by most of it's users due to inertia, and with terrible customer service bundled, summing it up: only valid reason to use it at all in this day and age is "i just can't be bothered to make a choice"? that's not how i saw canon, i am shocked (or you must be a big pentax fan)

11-18-2010, 02:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
you mean, useless, overpriced, not working most of the time, being used by most of it's users due to inertia, and with terrible customer service bundled, summing it up: only valid reason to use it at all in this day and age is "i just can't be bothered to make a choice"? that's not how i saw canon, i am shocked (or you must be a big pentax fan)

Same was for a few friends who were drawn to Canon by good marketing who went to other brands for same reasons as above

Amazed at times that a lot here get called fanboys, but by heck we have a lot here who bag Pentax openly.
11-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thashef Quote
Hey guys,
I am a Canon users. I used to have Canon XSi that I just recently sold. I used the Canon 24-105 f/4L and 70-200 f/4L IS with that camera. I was thinking about getting the Refurbished Canon 7D, which can be had for about $1100, but now I am thinking maybe Pentax K-5 might be a better option. I am not a professional or anything like that, I just shot family pictures and take pictures when I go on vacations.

First would you recommend K-5 and if yes, what lens would you pair it with. Most of the time on a Canon body I used 24-105 because of its range of motion.

I have already read what this camera is capable of but jumping camps is hard.
If you are into zooms, the ones you have are pretty much top notch but could benefit from being used on FF IMO. If you're not into video and aren't afraid of a pretty "crude" camera by todays standards, why not get a used 5D (MkI) and see if you like it?

On the other hand, if you'd want to get a smaller kit by using essentially primes and a compact body, the K-5 (or even K-x/r) with a 3 primes kit (21/40/70 or 15/40/200 if you want more "spread") would get my vote.

If you don't really know if using primes would be your cup of tea, try shooting with your 24-105 set to a single focal for a while and see if you like it.

As far as IQ goes for quality family and vacation shots, you can't go wrong with any of the cameras you're looking at.
11-18-2010, 03:24 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Same was for a few friends who were drawn to Canon by good marketing who went to other brands for same reasons as above

Amazed at times that a lot here get called fanboys, but by heck we have a lot here who bag Pentax openly.
actually, my point was that canon is actually a good system, and has been for a while, as opposed to windows which isn't, and has never been (simply inferior in most every respect). but i see your point too.

as to people "baging" pentax, it's what is called being objective over here (if you don't say "chose nikon or canon, it's a safer bet" you must be a pentax fanboy) . seriously, some people here are very sane and will bring solid arguments for their choices and their advice, i for one appreciate that, this is not a hoya-pentax forum, this is an "open community" forum.

--
nanok,singing "i didn't start the fire, the flame was there.."

---------- Post added 11-18-10 at 11:27 AM ----------

lol101: i slightly disagree on one point: shooting a zoom at a fixed setting is nothing like shooting a prime, few people can get the feel of shooting a prime from that. the problem is primes are not only about fixed focal length, there's so much more to it (especially in pentax-land, but not only). shooting my smc-a 135/2.8 and shooting the 50-135/2.8 at 135 has few similarities (and this is a good example, try to imagine it again, this time with the da 50-200 at 135 ).

11-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #35

Original Poster
Excellent Breakdown Miguel.

It seems like the consensus in this thread is that I should really figure out what I really want as my glass Canon vs Pentax and then figure out which body I want. I checked out the Canon 7D at Best Buy, it was really nice but I do agree with the others that its big and overweight, they didn't have the 60D or any Pentax stuff to try out, so I'll have find a place where I can see that.

My wife uses a Sony P+S that we do use when I am lazy about crazy my gear.
11-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #36
Forum Member

The camera I really want is the 5DM2, but I can't afford it so thats pretty much of out of question. I could sell the 24-105 and 70-200 and recoup all the money I spent on it, so from that perspective switching is not that hard, the bigger question is going to be am I going to like Pentax or not.

Just doing a quick and dirty check on ebay USA (Completed listings used lenses)
To sell your used canon lenses
24-105 f4 US$800
70-200 f4 US$600 (could even be less depending on condition)
Total US$1400

To purchase a new Pentax gear from Adorama
Pentax K5 US$1565
16-50 f 2.8 US$744
60-250 f4 us$1199
Total US$3508

So to switch to Pentax will set you back approx $2108 out of pocket
Upgrade to the refurbished 7D $1100 out of pocket.

But since you said you really want the 5D MkII you could pick one up from Adorama for $2500.
For a few hundred more the 5DM2 maybe the better option, it also means your not at the mercy of trying to sell your lenses for the best price.

I know the above prices can vary depending where you look but it gives you a rough guideline.

Cheers
11-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #37

Just an idea for you....why don't you tell us where in the US you live and maybe you can hook up with a K-5 or even a K-7 owner and check it out and some lenes too.

I'm in Albuquerque, but I currently have a K20 and some decent lenses.

11-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I would stick with what you have, from your description of your shooting preferences. But you hint at pixel peeping, to there is no solution :-)
11-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
Just an idea for you....why don't you tell us where in the US you live and maybe you can hook up with a K-5 or even a K-7 owner and check it out and some lenes too.

I'm in Albuquerque, but I currently have a K20 and some decent lenses.
I am located in Cary, NC. It would be nice to try out the K5 or a pentax in general.
11-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VHDEL Quote
Just doing a quick and dirty check on ebay USA (Completed listings used lenses)
To sell your used canon lenses
24-105 f4 US$800
70-200 f4 US$600 (could even be less depending on condition)
Total US$1400

To purchase a new Pentax gear from Adorama
Pentax K5 US$1565
16-50 f 2.8 US$744
60-250 f4 us$1199
Total US$3508

So to switch to Pentax will set you back approx $2108 out of pocket
Upgrade to the refurbished 7D $1100 out of pocket.

But since you said you really want the 5D MkII you could pick one up from Adorama for $2500.
For a few hundred more the 5DM2 maybe the better option, it also means your not at the mercy of trying to sell your lenses for the best price.

I know the above prices can vary depending where you look but it gives you a rough guideline.

Cheers
Actually I thought about this:
24-105 f4 US$800
70-200 f4 IS US$975
Canon XSI US$415
Canon 50 f1.8 US$80
Total 2270

Pentax K5 US$1565
16-50 f 2.8 US$744
60-250 f4 us$1199
Total US$3508

So the difference is $1238 to move to Pentax and to stay in Canon it would be $1100, so its not a big difference.
11-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a jumping camp that might interest you:

Just Jumpin? Jump Rope Camp

Oh wait, you meant "jumping CAMP" not "JUMPING camp"....

They both are great cameras. In most circumstances it will be the photographer's skill that makes the difference. If you are willing to carry the bulk, then there is no reason to leave Canon.
11-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The K-5 has caused this, I've seen a few postings around like this one. The irony is that it's a manufacturers lens lineup that should be the key factor in switching, but it always seems to be the bodies people hear of that makes them want to jump ship.
Well, I'm not 'switching' but I've bought a K5, because I'm interested in the size/weather sealing/quiet shutter - and some of the Pentax lenses. I went through the same exercise a few months back with the K7, and returned everything because I didn't like the sensor output.

Of course lenses are the most important part, but if there isn't a body to take advantage of them, then there's not much point!

As for the OP - I think it's sad that there isn't really a 24-105 equivalent, I guess the nearest is the 17-70, which is only a little short on the wide angle end - or the 16-50 which has the weathersealing and is f2.8. You pays your money!
11-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
So what are you doing here? There are other photo forums you know!
I think he's just compensating for something.
11-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #44

I don't know if there is a way to search members by location or not. Does anyone know?? I wouldn't make a decesion untill you at least the K-5 a spin. Hard to do as they aren't, to date, sold in many stores. I hope you can find someone in NC to help ya out.
11-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #45

jumping camps

Hey guys,
I am a Canon users. I used to have Canon XSi that I just recently sold. I used the Canon 24-105 f/4L and 70-200 f/4L IS with that camera.
Hi. So does this mean you "used" them or you own them? If you own these two buying the 7D or the 60D makes sense to me.

However saying that The 7D with these lenses is quite big for someone starting out or if you are an advanced hobbyist. If I were being paid i think i would have a greater purpose and find the inner shoulder strength to lug this stuff around. So if convenience is a factor here is Pentax's strength .
I shoot mostly Primes and I can fit my K10D plus 4- 5 primes and flash in my Crumpler brand shoulder bag or my Lowepro slingshot.

To me one is not necessarily better but based on what system you want to shoot. For me it's simple the K-5 works with the lenses I own which i wont part with, Decision made!

Cheers
Roger