Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Do you mean in terms of how many frames you get or how fast the buffer fills up?
Well both in terms os fps (does focus priority mean it is less than 7.2 fps) and how many frmaes before the buffer fills up in both modes? (I guess the 28 frames max. with RAW is with speed priority).

11-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Well both in terms os fps (does focus priority mean it is less than 7.2 fps) and how many frmaes before the buffer fills up in both modes? (I guess the 28 frames max. with RAW is with speed priority).
I haven't tested it extensively at all ISOs, but so far the amount of frames before the buffer fills seems roughly equivalent in either mode.

As far as FPS goes, the FPS priority is definitely faster during continuous autofocus, I'd say it's pretty close to the maximum 7.2 FPS. The focus priority slows down a bit, especially if you are moving the camera to focus on different things. It lets the camera catch up to focus.
11-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
As far as FPS goes, the FPS priority is definitely faster during continuous autofocus, I'd say it's pretty close to the maximum 7.2 FPS. The focus priority slows down a bit, especially if you are moving the camera to focus on different things. It lets the camera catch up to focus.
If the fps is slower in "focus priority" couldn't one expect to get more RAW frames in that mode before the buffer fills up? I am wondering whether the 28 RAW max. can be improved by selecting "focus priority" ? (not wanting to go all the way doen to 3.2 fps ?...wish there is a middle groune between the 7.2 and 3.2 or what vere the low fps rate is).
11-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

If the fps is slower in "focus priority" couldn't one expect to get more RAW frames in that mode before the buffer fills up? I am wondering whether the 28 RAW max. can be improved by selecting "focus priority" ? (not wanting to go all the way doen to 3.2 fps ?...wish there is a middle groune between the 7.2 and 3.2 or what vere the low fps rate is).
I haven't done any "controlled" tests, but focus priority only slows fps down a bit - it doesn't slow to a crawl or anything like that, you get a few more frames before the buffer fills, that's all.

11-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I haven't done any "controlled" tests, but focus priority only slows fps down a bit - it doesn't slow to a crawl or anything like that, you get a few more frames before the buffer fills, that's all.
It probably depends upon how fast the object is moving, so how quickly the focus can adjust and the camera takes a picture.
11-19-2010, 12:47 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi, I am having trouble downloading the new firm ware to my K5. I get to downloads and then click to down load the application file to card reader the download bar moves too fast to of downloaded a file of that size and sure enough when I go to my camera it still shows version 1.00
11-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Osama Binhidin Quote
Hi, I am having trouble downloading the new firm ware to my K5. I get to downloads and then click to down load the application file to card reader the download bar moves too fast to of downloaded a file of that size and sure enough when I go to my camera it still shows version 1.00
It actually downloads an EXE file you first have to execute to get the *.bin file.
You have to put this *.bin file on your SD card root directory, and hold "Menu" while powering-up your K5...

11-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

That doesn't sound like the correct way to do the firmware update.

You download the update from the Website to your PC.
Its a compressed file - its not directly usable for the firmware update.

Run the update file by double-clicking on it - it will self-extract and produce the actual Firmware file with a .BIN extension and also an instruction file .TXT
Read the instruction file. TXT
Copy That firmware file to the Root Directory of the a camera-formated SDHC card.
The rest - follow the instructions
11-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #24
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Does it make a difference if "focus priority" is chosen over "speed priority" ?
In AF-c yes it does. Depending in how good the focussing works, depending on the amount of contrast to focus on and the speed of the object you get a lower framerate in focus priority. The time it takes to fokus the buffer keeps on flushing files to your SD-card giving you room to make more frames.
11-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #25

Did somebody see any difference in IQ from Firmware 1.0.0 to Firmware 1.0.1 ?
And are the filesizes different ? Smaller ?
11-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Osama its a Binfile... thought you would be the first to spot that
11-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
It takes about 35 seconds to empty the buffer. You can start shooting again sooner, but you won't get another 25 shots until it's empty. So if you wait about half the time (15-20 seconds), you would get about half a buffer's worth of shots (about 12 shots).

=================================

1.0 ~vs~ 1.01

11-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #28
Forum Member

I don't get the bin file when I double click all that I get is the txt file, I never had trouble downloading K7 firm ware . So how do I get the exe file to a bin file, any ideas would appreciate some advise
11-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you get the .TXT file, you should also have a BIN file.
Is Windows now hiding .BIN files by default?
You might try looking at the folder using a Command prompt. Or set Windows to not hide files.

Otherwise copy the .exe to your SD card and double click it there. It should extract to the card.
Remove the .EXE and the .TXT and see if the .BIN was put there anyway and Windows is just not showing it. (i.e. put the card in the camera and turn on with Menu button held... see if the upgrade process starts).

If the download was corrupt, I would expect an error during extraction. So I'm guessing Windows is just f'n with ya.
11-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I don't get the bin file when I double click all that I get is the txt file, I never had trouble downloading K7 firm ware . So how do I get the exe file to a bin file, any ideas would appreciate some advise

check your PC folder/file options.