Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #61
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I have the answers:.................

#5. It can drive reputation points up, points that can be used for free airfare anywhere in the world!
Or at very least be exchanged, along with 2 or 3 dollars, for a cup of coffee at any Starbucks.

11-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What if this is all a setup of some kind, trying to bastardize the K5 ??!!

Cheers, hoping this will not deter people from getting a top of the line camera.

JP
11-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What if this is all a setup of some kind, trying to bastardize the K5 ??!!

Cheers, hoping this will not deter people from getting a top of the line camera.

JP
Nah, i'm awaiting delivery on Monday so no deterrent here. Its probably like most Pentax camera's, it rewards skill and technique and screws ya over if you're not on top of your game or have another another camera by another manufacturer
11-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
As long as I get the focus correct and the exposure correct, I'm not seeing any soft images (at the focus point).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/5156599330_f316cc8fde_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1070/5159189543_b80a3c258c_o.jpg

they really show the K-5 sharpness

11-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Sounds very good.
Where can we find the D7K mannequin photo's?

BTW. the extreme PF example provided above was taken at center image. Which would make the lens very bad in terms of optical quality.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea why people conduct tests if the tests only confuse of raise more questions than when they started with.
I mean... what's the point?
John,

You can find one of the many D7000 shots here:

Digital Cameras, Nikon D7000 Digital Camera Test Image

Here is the K-5 sample:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K5/FULLRES/K5OUTBCON3.HTM

Having so many variants of each shot makes comparisons very dicey.

Rob
11-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
John,

You can find one of the many D7000 shots here:

Digital Cameras, Nikon D7000 Digital Camera Test Image

Having so many variants of each shot makes comparisons very dicey.

Rob
I saw that in fact, however since its JPG, I figured it wouldn't do much toward the arguement.
Having said that, I've been working on some DPReview RAW/PEF samples that have pretty much put a nail in the softness coffin(so to speak ). As they completely turn the tables around in terms of who is sharp and who isn't as the K-5 looks to have a weaker AA filter while the D7000 seems to have the softer one(lol).

In any case, I am very disapointed with IR's testing handywork considering they have been at it for a very long time. I find it quite disturbing that they would test a camera with a lens that is so out of calibration that it can't even render blacks properly.

And these ones the public eye looks toward for references.
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote

In summary, I do not believe that the K-5 suffers from any fundamental problem with sharpness. Apparent softness is the result of the testing procedures.

Rob
Which raises an interesting point: If it is this hard to get perfect results in controlled test setups, what's the chance that most of us will be able to extract the max out of our cameras in the field? Those who use tripods, set up carefully, and really pay attention to every aspect of their shots may be able to, but those (like me) who shoot hand held, who don't always remember to brace with absolute rigidity, and who may not always optimize settings, are going to come up short.

I sometimes wonder if the energy I put into scrutinizing test images wouldn't be better applied to improving my shooting technique

Jeff
11-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #68
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Nah, i'm awaiting delivery on Monday so no deterrent here. Its probably like most Pentax camera's, it rewards skill and technique and screws ya over if you're not on top of your game or have another another camera by another manufacturer
Yeah Rob.

It is also like when they (who's "they" ??) tried bashing the K7, and the K20D before that.
Now, the K7 is supposely quite a gem and the K20D is great too! Go figure!

I'll have the K5, soon enough, along with my K7.

OK, going to take some pics now.

Cheers.

JP

11-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As I was curious about my K-5's sharpness I did a quick test. Converted from DNG in ACR with the sharpness and noise reduction sliders set to 0.

I used my sharpest lens: the SMC Pentax-F 50mm f/2.8 macro. Focusing was done in Live View (although it must be said that I did not see any differences with the phase detect af). The exposure was 3 seconds at f/5.6 and ISO 80. No tripod was used; I just put my camera on the table and used the 2 second delay.

11-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #70
Pentaxian

FTR I've had absolutely no problems w/ sharpness with my K-5. I've posted this elsewhere, but here's a 100% crop from my DA35 Macro @ f/2.8:

[imgtall]http://deadwolfbones.smugmug.com/Other/K-5-First-Shots/JBKP0185-2/1057192283_z7fco-O.jpg[/imgtall]
11-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I saw that in fact, however since its JPG, I figured it wouldn't do much toward the arguement.
Ordinarily, I would agree with this philosophy. Still, I don't think that you can exclude digital sharpening from the equation. As Falk has pointed out in this thread, even with raw image files, the amount of digital sharpening applied matters. Files from different cameras may require different levels of sharpening to get them to look the same due to AA filters, etc. So if you take a D7000 and a K-5, run the raw files through ACR and apply the default sharpening level, you may end up with different degrees of sharpness, whereas if you sharpen individually according to the needs of the image, you may get the same degree of sharpness. What is more important than sharpness right out of the camera is detail. If detail is present, you can sharpen it digitally. If detail is absent, you obviously cannot.

I have no idea whether IR and dpr use default sharpening strengths, but I suspect that they do in and effort to standardize their processes. It makes sense, but it can also mislead.

Rob
11-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I posted the follow-up and conclusion to this here, along with some updated images(as part two).

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-18-2010 at 02:54 PM.
11-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #73

So, after all that nonsense we're back to square one -that being that the K-5 is a lovely camera that can take wonderful pictures. End of.

Lock thread?
11-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
Which raises an interesting point: If it is this hard to get perfect results in controlled test setups, what's the chance that most of us will be able to extract the max out of our cameras in the field? Those who use tripods, set up carefully, and really pay attention to every aspect of their shots may be able to, but those (like me) who shoot hand held, who don't always remember to brace with absolute rigidity, and who may not always optimize settings, are going to come up short.

I sometimes wonder if the energy I put into scrutinizing test images wouldn't be better applied to improving my shooting technique

Jeff
I don't see any concern about the K-5 limiting one's photography - most average users (including yours truly) would run up against their own limitations long before that. The camera works like a dream, at least normal functioning ones.

I know a few people, including on this forum, may have had defective units - they should return them for replacement.

Pentax dSLRs have always been primarily RAW machines for best results , and the K-5 is much the same case.

To use JPEG straight out-of-camera, yes, I would say you need to pay careful attention to tweaking the camera settings - sharpness, contrast, colour hue/saturation. The default JPEG settings on the K-5 I consider "average"- not bad, but nothing great.

There is no "ideal" setting anyway, it depends on what you want to photograph.
11-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
What I'm finding more than anything else, is what seems to be some pretty considerable AF inconsistency
It makes me wonder... Is this whole kafuffel to do with the new SAFOX IX focussing system? Does it do a bad job? Maybe it goes with a "near enough's good enough" philosophy, and as a result is slightly missing focus on a large number of samples?
Closed Thread