Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #1

What are the difference between the 3 sharpness settings in K5?

Hi guys, I just got the K5 and realise that it has 3 different sharpness settings:

1) Sharpness
2) Fine Sharpness
3) Extra Fine Sharpness

What are the differences between the 3 different sharpness settings? Is Extra Fine Sharpness the best in sharpness but introduce more noise and artifacts? And sharpness is just default sharpness and not as sharp as the other 2 options?

What settings you guys use?

11-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing your own answers are probably pretty accurate, though if you shoot RAW those settings, and many others, have no real use.
11-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the manual, p222, Fine and Extra Sharpness use thinner image outlines than normal sharpness.
11-18-2010, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

In their review of the K-5, NeoCamera posted a little interactive section showing off the differences in the 3 sharpness settings, through the entire range of each mode. This should clearly show you the difference:

Pentax K-5 Sharpness Settings | Neocamera

- Jason

11-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
In their review of the K-5, NeoCamera posted a little interactive section showing off the differences in the 3 sharpness settings, through the entire range of each mode. This should clearly show you the difference:

- Jason
I was looking at that review last night, and they did a great job showing the differences between the different sharpness settings. I must say, the Extra Fine sharpness does look sharp, but I wonder if it would introduce too much noise in everyday photos. With my previous K200D, when doing my own testing, I definitely preferred the regular sharpness to the fine sharpness. Now, I'll have to do some testing with my K-5.
11-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This looks like it has a finer degree of sharpness the the high range compared to my K20D & K200D, considering the differences in megapixel range of these cameras. It will look to be a boon for people taking macro pictures.
11-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote

- Jason
Your answer nails it. Thanks.
+1 rep