Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #31

I always leave my apartment wearing my camera and my first DSLR, Pentax IstD, got horribly scratched. I didn't really notice until I gave the camera to my sister and she squealed. Then I got the K10D and bought the Giotto glass cover. It worked fine and didn't scratch. After I got a K20d, with a Giotto cover, I loaned my K10d to a friends adult son for a two week period. When my camera didn't return I went to him and he looked panicked and said, "I broke the LCD." I took the camera and it was just the glass that had shatttered. I removed the glass and the camera was fine.

I don't know whether or not without the glass cover the LCD would have shattered. Nevertheless, when I got my K5d a month ago it came with a Giotto glass cover for the LCD.

03-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #32

+11111 on the ACMAXXX protectors... have/had them on the K100d Super, K200d, K-x, K-7 and now the K-5.. well worth it!

Although, I have read somewhere that the screen for the K-7 and K-5 are tempered glass screens... meaning they are very scratch resistant... I necessarily wouldn't try it though...
04-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #33

Based on some info I saw on the web somewhere I went w/ a GGS screen protector for a D3000 it fit perfectly, but it did say D3000 in the lower corner (not over the actual display). I was always getting sunscreen on the screen from my nose, so I was glad to be able to wipe it with impunity. Then I set my camera down on a rock and it slid a bit and the corner of the screen protector hit something and it cracked. In a day one of the cracks went all the way across the screen. A few weeks later I got another GGS protector and removed the old one. To take off the old one I set the camera in the sun for a bit to warm it up and then I ran some dental floss under a corner and sawed it along. That worked like a charm and I think if I was careful (which I wasn't) and the old screen wasn't cracked I could re-use it. I carefully cleaned w/ alcohol and removed all the dust I could before installing the new screen (there was one annoying dust spot under the old one). Hopefully this one will last longer than the last one, but if it saved the actual camera screen it was well worth it.