Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Please enlighten me, K5 sensor resolution is barely 5% increase in each linear dimension, can a 5% change make a big difference to being forgiving and unforgiving?
I won't try to go into a lot of gobbledygook about the K-5 sensor, a lot of which are guesses any way, since Pentax gives out very little real tech data on the sensor.

Suffice to say there is a lot more happening with the K-5 sensor + image processing compared to the K-7 than just the superficial 16 MP vs 14 MP.

With extreme contrast boundaries, for example, the K-5 retains more detail in both the bright and the darker side of the image. When the lens itself is just so-so , you will see worse Chromatic Aberration (purple fringing) with the K-5.

Someone just thinking on the surface may just say "OMG, the K-5 generates significantly worse CA than the K-7". Another K-5 urban legend in the making ? But that's not true.

What's happening is the K-5 handles extreme contrast situations significantly better than the K-7....but if you have a pretty pedestrian lens mounted, its just going to amplify some of the lens's flaws.

I'm not disparaging the K-7, in fact I'm keeping mine as a backup to the K-5.
I'm not disparaging old Pentax lenses either....I know there are many great Film-Era lenses, which should work great with the K-5.

It just for me personally, I have a few so-so lenses I would probably not use on the K-5

Last edited by kittykat46; 11-21-2010 at 03:37 AM.
11-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What kittykat said. I bought the K-7 knowing its limits, but in the end found it a bit too unforgiving for my taste (or should I say my talent? )
Especially in scenes with a strong contrast with the K-7 you have to really nail the exposure, because if you push the dark areas you end up seeing no very pretty noise. Or you can blow the highlights and no recovery is possible at all.

This was good in a way, because I took greater care when I was shooting instead of thinking "Well I'll fix that in Lightroom". But in the end I found it was a problem on too many pictures, especially for streetphotography and the likes where you usually don't have time to nail anything
And I'd rather spend time doing interesting things than fixing pics in LR
11-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had to send my k-7 back because of a problem with the rear e dial back in august. At the time i was a lil upset because the k-7 was my first dslr and i truly loved it, and since i had nothing to else to compare it to i did not notice any of its shortcomings. One night i was just looking around debating on whether or not to get a new k-7, then i saw the rumors about the new k-5. At the time most of the specs where just unreal but i decided to stick it out and make my decision when I've seen both cameras in action. Well I'm glad i waited because the k-5 is a dream to use, and I'm glad they didn't change to body. The ergonomics were great, the weather sealing perfect, the size fits most hands perfectly, the weight was well balanced, the look was professional, and it wasn't as big and imposing as most Nikon or canon dslrs. After i received my new k-5 and ran a few frames through it, i realized what i was missing with the k-7. I take a lot of pictures of grey military aircrafts, but often in order to capture the subtle grey tones in the aircraft u would have to take the picture from an angle where the sun was spot on or the shadows would hide the details. Worst of all was when the sun would reflect off the canopy and the whole image would be ruined, but now with the k-5 i can just under expose and then use fill light in photo shop and get great images. I've never had a problem with sharpness like other people, but then i don't pixel peep like other people do. Overall i absolutely love my new camera and i really do believe that pentax struck gold with this one. Now if only they can fix that video issue then this would truly be an all around camera useful for every thing. Incidentally I've notice that the k-7 and the k-5 are not very sensitive to infrared light so if you do plan to do infrared photography plan on 2 to 5 min long exposures.
11-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

No regrets whatsoever.

The K-5 was exactly the K-7/K-x hybrid I was hoping for, plus more.

11-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my first Pentax back in 2003. It was the MZ60. I didn't want to jump into digital because I felt that it hadn't progressed enough to justify the price. In 2007 I upgraded to the K10 and since then I have not seen a signifigant upgrade worthy of the price. I liked what I seen in the K-x but it lacked a solid weather sealed body. I avoided the K-7 due to the sensitivity issues, but I grabbed the first K-5 that came to Henry's in Halifax and I have not regreted it. Its a great camera, in my opinion the best Pentax has to offer! I use it for professional use and I have no complaints as of yet.