Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K7 to K5 upgrade -> any regrets?

Former K7 & Current K5 Owners,

I know about the high ISO, DR performance leap in the K5 vs. K7 but...

How does the K5 fare in the studio compared to the K7? Controlled lighting, low ISO. I've seen comments strewn about here and elsewhere regarding image softness and flash-TTL metering inconsistency. While I use a dedicated light meter I don't want to sacrifice any functionality.

So before I jump the gun, sell my K7 and purchase the K5 (prior to all the pro reviews) - does anyone feel they should have either 1) stuck with the K7 or 2) waited for K5 kinks, if any, to be worked out in firmware ?

Thanks

11-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Absolutely none.

After using the K-5 with DA* and DA Limited lenses for the last 2 days, I consider "K-5 image softness", an Urban Legend created by badly shot review photos and abetted by measurebators trying to make conclusions from those same badly shot photos. GIGO....

Having said that, I have a caveat that this camera is very unforgiving on Average/ Mediocre Lenses and user errors. Its precisely because the sensor resolution is so high.
For example the old DA18-55 kit lens I have leftover from the K100D - simply won't cut it on the K-5. A few old lenses I bought low-priced from e-bay - I'll need to retire them. I'll just end up with a less-than-satisfactory 16MP image if I use them.

The P-TTL bug is real, at least on some bodies, and its likely just a firmware bug which I hope they fix in the future. Its very much up to you how this affects your purchase decision or timing.
11-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Coming from a K-7, I do recommend the K-5 without hesitation.

I only regret one thing: with the same Sandisk Extreme III (Class 6) card the K-5 is definitely a tiny bit slower writing the files, and as a result it takes a little longer before a photo can be reviewed on the LCD. But that's no surprise given the larger files. Maybe a faster card will help here?
11-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No Regrets here. The K5 is a K7 with ice cream and a cherry on top, plus caramel sauce.

It takes all the strong points of the K5 like superb small body, great ergonomics and software adds corrections for some K7 weakness like high ISO noise and lack of DFS control. Th Dr range is going to be useful in my landscape work and the ability to crank the ISO to 6400 and still get a good result is going to be great for action shots and long lens work.

As KittyKat said it's unforgiving of weaker glass, so that might be a problem for some.

11-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I upgraded from a K20D, not the K-7, but I see absolutely no problem with "soft images". Just the opposite. It's wonderfully sharp and a great camera. Kittykat is right...urban legend to the max.
11-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
...and abetted by measurebators .
This word cracks me up! Is that like measurement masturbators?
11-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, my biggest regret upgrading to the K7 in the first place. Not enough of an upgrade over the K10D. The K5 may not be that big of a change over the K7 -- unless you need high speed in low light. The honestly-usable photos from ISO 1600+ is worth the upgrade to the K5 alone.

I find the PTTL flash exposure to finally be near expectations. Now that I got used to doing almost everything in manual (since PTTL has been a complete fail), I might actually try to make use of PTTL again.

I do not find autofocus to be noticeably faster except in LiveView (for either SDM or motor driven lenses).

11-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

No regrets whatsoever.
11-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Absolutely none.

After using the K-5 with DA* and DA Limited lenses for the last 2 days, I consider "K-5 image softness", an Urban Legend created by badly shot review photos and abetted by measurebators trying to make conclusions from those same badly shot photos. GIGO....

Having said that, I have a caveat that this camera is very unforgiving on Average/ Mediocre Lenses and user errors. Its precisely because the sensor resolution is so high.
For example the old DA18-55 kit lens I have leftover from the K100D - simply won't cut it on the K-5. A few old lenses I bought low-priced from e-bay - I'll need to retire them. I'll just end up with a less-than-satisfactory 16MP image if I use them.

The P-TTL bug is real, at least on some bodies, and its likely just a firmware bug which I hope they fix in the future. Its very much up to you how this affects your purchase decision or timing.
So you got your new camera. Congrats.
Agree with you on the urban legend of image softness. Ha, ha, so you have discovered the same thing I discovered a month back about the K-5's amazing ability to resolve detail. Thankfully I don't keep old lenses because they just can't deliver in terms of resolving power. The first generation DA 18-55mm already couldn't resolve enough detail with the K20D/K-7, what more the new K-5.
After you use the K-5, you'll discover why plenty of legacy lenses ought to be retired for good. Lenses that you once thought were sharp are painfully revealed to be so-so only with this new sensor.

Never regret letting go of my K-7 because the K-5 is a quantum leap ahead.
If I may offer a car analogy, it's like going from a Hyundai to a Nissan GTR!!! You don't want to drive the Korean car anymore.

Last edited by creampuff; 11-19-2010 at 03:49 PM.
11-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #10

I have the P-TTL error for external flashes. But I assume there will come a firmware fix. Reports tell that Pentax is well aware of the problem by now. It can be temporarily handled by adjusting Ev to -1 or -2, or using f10 or smaller apertures. And it seems to mainly affect the flash when tilted. Both the Pentax AF-540 FGZ and the Metz 58 AF-1 suffer from this failure.

As regards the comments on glass, I agree. The ordinary kit glass is not the best for K-5, and IQ compromising superzooms from Tamron, Sigma and Pentax are likely not the best either. Maybe with the exception of the new 18-135mm, which hopefully is better adapted to a 16 MP camera like K-5.

By the way, the higher ISO quality gives me two extra stops, in some advantageous light situations even three more than with the K-7. I really like it. This means that the flash will be less needed.

The new five user settings are extremely useful. Now I can change between the most important parameters very quickly. I mostly shoot JPEG. Then it fits me well to restrict ISO to 250 when using flash, to shut down DOI in certain situations, to use low internal NR with ISO topped at 6400, to use more internal ISO with ISO topped at 10000, and to use much internal NR with ISO topped at 51200. NR is increased stepwise with ISO in all these cases. What a flexibility! I have to add that I almost always use TAv, because that is the easiest way to work almost manual within a program. Very convenient!

Last edited by Staffan; 11-19-2010 at 04:07 PM.
11-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I don't do any formal studio shooting but no regrets so far (except the bill has arrived).

11-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #12

After owning K-x, I have been longing for upgrade for my K-7 to K-5 as I find the ISO noise is quite obvious once hit 1600, which K-x (low end body) seem to handle it much better. I felt K-7 sharpness is quite unnatural and harsh.
11-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #13

no regrets here ... more the opposite. My FA* 85mm shots wide open are sharper than with my K-7! And: No focus adjustmens with my FA 31mm ltd, DA* 55mm and FA* 85mm (since I got my cam today I have not tested other lenses...)

I am really confident!
11-21-2010, 02:35 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

None whatsoever.

You can think of the K-5 as a "K-7 Super", and therefore, the only real regret can be your emptied pocket

The IQ overall blew us away: Pentax K-5 Review - PentaxForums.com Professional Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a caveat that this camera is very unforgiving on Average/ Mediocre Lenses and user errors. Its precisely because the sensor resolution is so high.
Please enlighten me, K5 sensor resolution is barely 5% increase in each linear dimension, can a 5% change make a big difference to being forgiving and unforgiving?