Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Any softness must be poor lenses, poor technique or an urban myth. Plenty happy with K5 sharpness here. An example from a throwaway shot last weekend...

140mm, f5.6 handheld. DNG converted with default contrast/sharpening settings, tiny bit of highlight recovery. Of course these could be further improved with judicious output sharpening.

800px version and two 100% crops, exif should be intact:

11-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And one from me, for the fun of it. K5 soft???????? K5/DA35 ltd

Today's Temperature. (Marks on right are a spider web actually)
Attached Images

11-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #33
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
Any softness must be poor lenses, poor technique or an urban myth. Plenty happy with K5 sharpness here. An example from a throwaway shot last weekend...

800px version and two 100% crops, exif should be intact:

Can't you really understand that such photо has VERY GOOD resolution and rather mediocre sharpness?
Don't you see that even 100% crop is a bit blurry?
11-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Can't you really understand that such photо has VERY GOOD resolution and rather mediocre sharpness?
There are no strobist equipments in these frames. These are ordinary shootings. You cannot expect studio shooting sharpness from an ordinary shot. In my opinion these images are razor sharp for an out door, regular light, ordinary shooting.

11-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cem.kumuk Quote
There are no strobist equipments in these frames. These are ordinary shootings. You cannot expect studio shooting sharpness from an ordinary shot. In my opinion these images are razor sharp for an out door, regular light, ordinary shooting.
I don't see why using flash or studio lighting should increase pixel-level acutance..?

However, ogl, I'm going to repost my photo (http://algol.nu/~erik/k5-sharpness-test.jpg) and ask you: is not THIS sharp? I see single pixel detail here. If you're going to say "well, it was sharpened" then of course it was! It's just stupid to NOT sharpen output from a Bayer sensor. Everything gets sharpened, or you're not using the sensor data right.
11-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #36
Inactive Account

We are still waiting for the legend killer photos. Where are they? selfbomb
11-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #37

Oh dear, must be my poor lenses or poor technique then. Allow me to quote myself:

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
Plenty happy with K5 sharpness here. Of course these could be further improved with judicious output sharpening.
As someone who tests a camera by taking and printing my own pics rather than peeping other peoples on a screen, I find the K5 results easily as good as I managed on any previous Pentax and will no doubt surpass this once my workflow adapts to the K5 output.

Can't compare it to other cameras or brands as I don't own others, but if that level of real-world quality isn't enough then I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for. Have fun on the internets trying to find it though... I'll be out taking more of my trademark 'soft' pics

11-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Let me tell y'all this, because there's a lot of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth re: the K-5's AA filter, which -- it is true -- is on the strong side: I've owned fan favourite K10D (didn't like it, sold it,) and I frequently use a K200D at work (same sensor, and I *think* it has the same AA filter? I thought the K10D was sharper but I might have been imagining things.) While I could maybe give an edge to the K10D when it comes to pixel level sharpness, let's not forget that it is ten megapixels, which is significantly less than sixteen. There is NO WAY it outresolves the K-5 in any way, shape or form. I've tried downsampling a K-5 image to K10D dimensions just for the hell of it; believe me.

(100%)

There is absolutely NO reasonable application for which the K-5's acutance is not adequate. If you're pixel-peeping quite this hard, you're being maximum ridiculous. I don't think there's even any paper/printer combination that can resolve this much detail at anything less than comedy-size paper. Stick a fork in it, this is over and done.
11-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #39
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote

(100%)
Good resolution and rather mediocre sharpness. :ugh:
11-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Haha, okay bro, let's just leave it at that then. What are you expecting from 100% viewing of a Bayer sensor image? What are you even comparing to? As you know, it is impossible for any Bayer sensor to reliably resolve single pixel detail at 100%, that's the nature of the technology, and yet the demosaicing of the K-5 does a pretty good job I think because I can see very small details in the above.

I challenge you to find ANY medium except for 100% on-screen viewing where this supposed sharpness mediocrity would be evident at all. I realize there might be some academic value in saying "camera A is slightly sharper than camera B at the pixel level" but it is really, TRULY irrelevant in any real world situation.

Also: are you actually proposing that a K10D/K200D image upsampled would be "sharper"? Because if so, please post a 10MP image example, upsampled. You do realize that comparing sharpness at 100% has literally no meaning unless the images are upsampled/downsampled to match?

EDIT: Also, for the record, I have a crappy tripod and my focusing is probably a bit off, so I'm not pretending to produce studio-quality results here
11-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #41
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Haha, okay bro, let's just leave it at that then. What are you expecting from 100% viewing of a Bayer sensor image? What are you even comparing to? As you know, it is impossible for any Bayer sensor to reliably resolve single pixel detail at 100%, that's the nature of the technology, and yet the demosaicing of the K-5 does a pretty good job I think because I can see very small details in the above.
Upscale is absurd.
11-26-2010, 02:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Upscale is absurd.
Why? You're not going to actually lose any information.
11-26-2010, 03:18 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I have come to the conclusion that OGL is both wasting time and space here.
His arguments as put, regarding lack of sharpness in K5 are neither credible nor proven.
If he comes with the evidence to prove even one point he has put, I will be the first to say, fair enough.
He has not done that and I now believe he is just baiting responses, and proving very little.
Surely it is time to call this whole thing to an end, and get on with taking and posting more of the great, SHARP, photos we have seen here.
OGL, realise, your credibility at the moment is receding fast.
11-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #44
Forum Member

Why don't you give up living such a dissatisfying photographic life, sell your Pentax equipment and buy a Leica? This forum would be relieved and you'd find what you look for. Pixel peeping Leica files gives enormous satisfaction.
11-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Didn't Henri Cartier-Bresson say that "Sharpness is a bourgeois concept"?