Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Any known issues with the K5 or did you encounter an issue?

Next week i want to buy the K5 after long long long thinking. The D7000 is not my cup of tea due to the hotpixel issues and i like the grip of the K5 body much more.

But i want to know for sure there arent any widespread issues with the K5 too? Is the K7 blur issue fixed etc? Does the camera have hardware issues in general?

11-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never had any blur issues with the K-7 and don't have any problems with the K-5 either.
11-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Another waste thread to find IF something is wrong . Look at all the tread where peoples are happy
11-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Another waste thread to find IF something is wrong . Look at all the tread where peoples are happy
I competely agree..

11-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by soulman Quote
I competely agree..
But, hey - welcome to Pentax Forums, the friendly Pentax Discussion Community. It gets better, honest.
11-20-2010, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Apparently it simultaneously produces soft images yet resolves at a level which renders lesser lenses useless.

Me, I'm waiting for the rotating LCD. I hope they don't screw it up.
11-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Apparently it simultaneously produces soft images yet resolves at a level which renders lesser lenses useless.
this made ma laugh hard

11-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
this made ma laugh hard
Me too

For the record, there is nothing "soft" about K-5 images.
11-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No issues with either my old K7 or my K5 which I have been using for 3 weeks+
11-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only issue I have with the K-5 is how soon I can save up for another K-5 body.
11-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
Rin
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just want to find out for sure that i will invest in the right system. I really like the Pentax brand but the issues that i saw with some K7s kinda scared me off. I visited this forum past weeks regularly but there is so much information that it is hard to find it all
11-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #12

If there are problems they will be posted

QuoteOriginally posted by Rin Quote
I just want to find out for sure that i will invest in the right system. I really like the Pentax brand but the issues that i saw with some K7s kinda scared me off. I visited this forum past weeks regularly but there is so much information that it is hard to find it all
If anything is seriously wrong with the camera, there will be threads about the problem. It pays to be careful when reading those posts, because problems that may only be affecting a few people can be exaggerated.

The only serious complaint that I have seen so far about the K-5 is that it tends to overexpose with indirect shoe mount flash. There is a thread about it in the forum.

Jeff
11-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

oooh. it's a long list, you see. where do i start?

soft, too sharp for old lenses (already mentioned), loose innards (like all recent pentax bodies), slow af (don't believe what you hear about it being better, still doesn't hold a candle to d3x and the likes), too light/too heavy (have your pick), video is still not full hd (search me..), sensor cleaning thingie doesn't work (or doesn't make a sound when it does, same thing), and so on.

seriously, i don't know about the d7000, but i doubt it's that bad. the two cameras are on par (and on top) for image quality/sensor, everything else is different (size, build, system, etc). if you really like the pentax system, find a dealer you can trust and go ahead, if you have doubts and/or like the nikon system better, do the same for nikon, make sure you can return if there's a problem like hot pixels, and stop worrying so much. i think it is wrong to chose your system based on comparing one body of each, in any case (though i do like the k-5 a lot, so far, i'm quite happy to go out and shoot my "obsolete" k20d as well). the two systems are different, so open your eyes and make sure you know what you're getting, weigh the body in the balance last, imho
11-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
Rin
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
oooh. it's a long list, you see. where do i start?

soft, too sharp for old lenses (already mentioned), loose innards (like all recent pentax bodies), slow af (don't believe what you hear about it being better, still doesn't hold a candle to d3x and the likes), too light/too heavy (have your pick), video is still not full hd (search me..), sensor cleaning thingie doesn't work (or doesn't make a sound when it does, same thing), and so on.

seriously, i don't know about the d7000, but i doubt it's that bad. the two cameras are on par (and on top) for image quality/sensor, everything else is different (size, build, system, etc). if you really like the pentax system, find a dealer you can trust and go ahead, if you have doubts and/or like the nikon system better, do the same for nikon, make sure you can return if there's a problem like hot pixels, and stop worrying so much. i think it is wrong to chose your system based on comparing one body of each, in any case (though i do like the k-5 a lot, so far, i'm quite happy to go out and shoot my "obsolete" k20d as well). the two systems are different, so open your eyes and make sure you know what you're getting, weigh the body in the balance last, imho
you are right about that, there is also a lot of nitpicking about both cameras in general. but the hotpixel issues on the D7000 are quite bad and very noticeable in some cases without long exposure/high iso photos. The performance is very similar though for both cameras. I simply need a durable camerabody with a fast 50mm prime and a sharp zoom lens around the 18-50mm/18-135mm/24-70mm) and then i am happy. i mainly do streetphotography anyway. The K5 body is ergonomically the best option for me. Maybe in combination with the 70mm limited prime lens i can drop the 50mm idea and take advantage of the small pancake lens design.

how are the current SDM lenses by the way? Are there still issues with those?
11-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
DiN

For street photography, I find DA 35 F2.4 is good replacement of 50mm FOV.
Alternatively, FA 43 F1.9 or DA 21 F3.2. DA 70 is too tele.