Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

What custom image setting you used for shooting Jpegs on your K5?

Hey guys, i just got my K5 a couple of days back and is currently experimenting on the different custom image settings. I find Natural abit dull and Bright seems nicer. Do you all find the default Bright setting sharp and saturated enough out of camera? I am thinking of increasing sharpness to +2 from +1 but don't know whether it will affect the pics adversely..

11-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is no single setting for every shot. Further, we don't know your style.

The camera has only limited adjustment to a few settings, and a tiny processor. Why not shoot RAW and optimize the details later when you can evaluate the shot on a larger screen? You bought a nice camera, you should make the most of it, before and after the exposure. It really takes very little extra time to PP a RAW file as it does a jpg. You can even do it unattended in a batch with a few clicks, then tweak the ones that need it.

That said, I used Bright on the K100D for a few days, until it made some turquoise and pink colors glow. Many people save sharpening until the last, or nearly last, step in processing.
11-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! Ya I am shooting RAW after I got the K5. Just that I don't foresee myself shooting RAW exclusively because I do take some snapshots for friends and those I prefer to just take in JPEGs. Thats why I am trying to find out what settings give the most optimal JPEGS direct from camera without post-processing.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There is no single setting for every shot. Further, we don't know your style.

The camera has only limited adjustment to a few settings, and a tiny processor. Why not shoot RAW and optimize the details later when you can evaluate the shot on a larger screen? You bought a nice camera, you should make the most of it, before and after the exposure. It really takes very little extra time to PP a RAW file as it does a jpg. You can even do it unattended in a batch with a few clicks, then tweak the ones that need it.

That said, I used Bright on the K100D for a few days, until it made some turquoise and pink colors glow. Many people save sharpening until the last, or nearly last, step in processing.

Last edited by aaronius; 11-20-2010 at 09:48 PM.
11-21-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronius Quote
Hey guys, i just got my K5 a couple of days back and is currently experimenting on the different custom image settings. I find Natural abit dull and Bright seems nicer. Do you all find the default Bright setting sharp and saturated enough out of camera? I am thinking of increasing sharpness to +2 from +1 but don't know whether it will affect the pics adversely..

its best to experiment and set to your style

11-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two important points (both of which are made in the k-5 review)
1. If you shoot raw, you can adjust the custom image after shooting on your PC, using the Pentax image utility.
2. You can use the Pentax image utility to play around with the settings and see what works the best for you without having to take more than one actual test photo. I've found that vibrant mode is great, with some increased sharpness, contrast, and saturation as needed.

So make sure that you understand that the custom image is just a way of enhancing your out-of-camera JPEG's. If that's what you're after (I know I am), then definitely play around with the settings and find what you like. If you want to have complete control over your image, however, you'll have to shoot in raw.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Two important points (both of which are made in the k-5 review)
1. If you shoot raw, you can adjust the custom image after shooting on your PC, using the Pentax image utility.
2. You can use the Pentax image utility to play around with the settings and see what works the best for you without having to take more than one actual test photo. I've found that vibrant mode is great, with some increased sharpness, contrast, and saturation as needed.

So make sure that you understand that the custom image is just a way of enhancing your out-of-camera JPEG's. If that's what you're after (I know I am), then definitely play around with the settings and find what you like. If you want to have complete control over your image, however, you'll have to shoot in raw.
GASP!

Are you now just shooting RAW Adam?
11-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Are you now just shooting RAW Adam?
I never shoot raw, don't have time to fiddle with the settings! For my (web) purposes, JPEG is adequate.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
Same here, I never shoot raw before but after getting the K5, alot of people around me have been encouraging me to shoot raw so I am currently trying it out but I think I might still be shooting JPEG most of the time as I don't have time to do PP all the time due to work and study commitments.

Adam, for your JPEG, what is the sharpness setting that you normally set to and you find adequate? +1 sharpness? Do you normally do Unsharp Mask for your pics in PS?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I never shoot raw, don't have time to fiddle with the settings! For my (web) purposes, JPEG is adequate.