Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #46
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not a bad idea for WB, but since the ISO is always there shining in your face in the viewfinder, I wouldn't want the camera to be resetting it for me randomly.

I've been stuck with shitty WB outdoors, though- poof, all your photos are toast

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2010, 05:24 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not a bad idea for WB, but since the ISO is always there shining in your face in the viewfinder, I wouldn't want the camera to be resetting it for me randomly.

I've been stuck with shitty WB outdoors, though- poof, all your photos are toast
Agree, on K-5 it might not be most necessary to reset ISO to auto, but then again as K-5 has very wide usable ISO range, auto-ISO has never been as useful before. (I started using these settings on K10D which only showed ISO in VF by holding Ok-button).

IMO auto-ISO is even more useful when ISO is displayed in VF as see what setting is used, and I mostly only use manual ISO when I need to use higher ISO than auto-ISO range is set to (above ISO800 on my K-7). On K-5 you can probably set auto-ISO to 80-3200 and not worry to much on what the camera choose, and set auto-ISO mode to "slow" if wanting camera to select as low ISO as possible. One advantage of Pentax DSLR is that you can switch between manual and auto ISO without any menu digging so it's not much disadvantage to have the camera set to auto-ISO on power on.

On K-r it might be easier to forget ISO settings as I doubt it will displayed full time in VF.
11-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Adam:

In my opinion, an excellent and comprehensive review.

I'm still wringing out my K-5, and would only disagree with you on one setting. I highly prefer adjustments in 1/3 EV steps compared to 1/2. As a firearms writer, I often take highly detailed photographs using the manual setting, and the finer tuning gets me closer to "perfect" rather than "good enough."

I'm also pissed at Pentax for one feature that has not been covered yet, as far as I can see. I want my RAW images in DNG format so that I can use my copy of Photoshop Elements 7 with the RAW plug-in. I designate DNG as my preferred RAW format in the camera, but it insists on giving me the PEF format instead when I use the green setting on the dial. If I don't use a more manual dial setting, I then have to use the Pentax software provided with the camera to convert PEF to DNG so that I can use the software I prefer. For what it's worth, the Pentax software is not very intuitive, and I have to menu-dive a lot to get what I want. Also, on my computer (a very fast Windows custom setup), the Pentax software actually takes a couple of minutes to come up past its introductory label. This is very annoying. Photoshop Elements does not work with PEF-format RAW images, so I have to convert them to DNG with the annoying Pentax software. It's time consuming and frustrating.

Here's some test shots I've taken with the K-5. It's given me very satisfactory service otherwise!

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 11-29-2010 at 04:50 PM.
11-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #49

re k5

thanks a lot for the great review adam i also found out a lot more about my k7 fiddling about with the things you suggested for the k5. one thing in particular that is really great is the 3d enhancedelectronic level. pity such a good review was not done on the k7 but it is still great. thanks once again. ian

12-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Adam:

I'm also pissed at Pentax for one feature that has not been covered yet, as far as I can see. I want my RAW images in DNG format so that I can use my copy of Photoshop Elements 7 with the RAW plug-in. I designate DNG as my preferred RAW format in the camera, but it insists on giving me the PEF format instead when I use the green setting on the dial.

John
=================================

Keep checking this page (already has the 645D RAW plug-in):

Adobe - Search: pentax k-7
12-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great work, this sounds very promising :

"in continuous mode; the K-5 can take about 34 JPEGs and 26 RAWs (after the v1.01 firmware update)."
12-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #52
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
"I'm also pissed at Pentax for one feature that has not been covered yet, as far as I can see. I want my RAW images in DNG format so that I can use my copy of Photoshop Elements 7 with the RAW plug-in. I designate DNG as my preferred RAW format in the camera, but it insists on giving me the PEF format instead when I use the green setting on the dial. If I don't use a more manual dial setting, I then have to use the Pentax software provided with the camera to convert PEF to DNG so that I can use the software I prefer."

You never will be able to use the software you prefer - but blame Adobe - ACR 6x (no K5 yet, but will be imminent) will only work with Photoshop CS5 and Elements 8 and above. So even when Adobe update ACR, you'll still have to buy an upgrade from them to use PEFs.

12-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I'm also pissed at Pentax for one feature that has not been covered yet, as far as I can see. I want my RAW images in DNG format so that I can use my copy of Photoshop Elements 7 with the RAW plug-in. I designate DNG as my preferred RAW format in the camera, but it insists on giving me the PEF format instead when I use the green setting on the dial.
Use P mode. it's just as automatic as Green mode, but with better controls. Pentax probably didn't foresee people using Green mode with raw and a third party processor.
12-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
"I'm also pissed at Pentax for one feature that has not been covered yet, as far as I can see. I want my RAW images in DNG format so that I can use my copy of Photoshop Elements 7 with the RAW plug-in.

camera raw | Adobe Photoshop CS5
12-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #55

thank you for your review ... superb work
12-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Use P mode. it's just as automatic as Green mode, but with better controls. Pentax probably didn't foresee people using Green mode with raw and a third party processor.
====================

BOTH THE K-5 and K-R plugins are now up for Adobe CS5 *and* Lightroom 3.2.

camera raw | Adobe Photoshop CS5
12-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I'm still wringing out my K-5, and would only disagree with you on one setting. I highly prefer adjustments in 1/3 EV steps compared to 1/2. As a firearms writer, I often take highly detailed photographs using the manual setting, and the finer tuning gets me closer to "perfect" rather than "good enough."
wouldn`t it be nice to have EV compensation going in steps like: -1 -0,7 -0,5 -0,3 0 +0,3 +0,5 +0,7 +1
this is what I am dreaming of
12-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #58
Veteran Member

The Phoblographer just posted "Day 2" of his K-5 Field Review. More favorable words for our favorite Pentax.
12-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #59
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The k-5 is definitely a big hit. Thanks to everyone who read the review! It's just an amazing camera overall.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #60
Veteran Member

DPreview is now just posted its full K-5 review and they concur with Adam:

http://www.*************/reviews/pentaxk5/