Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-5 Full-length Review by PentaxForums.com

Our Pentax K-5 review is now online - read it here: Pentax K-5 Review - PentaxForums.com Professional Reviews

To post your own review, or view specifications, visit our camera database entry for the Pentax K5.

Enjoy!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Sweet Simple and To the Point.

Thanks Adam!

11-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great Review!!!!!
Especially love the suggested settings section.

Thanks Adam.
11-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
Forum Member

Yes indeed, thanks Adam, I wish I had me a K-5 Right now, that's how tempting it is. I can almost sence the time coming when I will have me one in my hands. But i'll bide my time till then. thanks sgain, Adam!

11-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments so far. I'd just like to give a special mention to Ole, who worked together with me on the review and also put in dozens of hours for lots of the sub-sections. Overall, the project took over a week of daily work, with almost two days of straight work at the end (with a little bit of fun in between)!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats; superb job; thank you.
11-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #7

Thanks.
11-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

A big thanks to Adam and Ole for the review. Superb. Bravo. And thanks again.

11-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #9

Hey thanks.
A grerat and very comprehensive write up.
I was surprised to learn that the built in flash can be used as a wireless flash commander. If so, you can highlight it in the beginning because its a great feature.
Also, i read somewhere that K5 has something similar to what others call 'AF micro adjust' where you can fine tune the camera-lens combination to achieve optimum focus. This was not mentioned in the review.
Congrats and regards,
anurag
11-21-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent review there Adam, professionly written and was a pleasure to read.
11-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #11
Forum Member

Finally! Camera I've been waiting for since K20D came out. Shame it took so long, now I don't have enough cash to spend on toys. I wonder if Pentax will change its policy and show 135 sensor someday...

Very good in-field review! Thank You for that!
11-21-2010, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #12

Photos: Albums

I'm sorry if this ruffles feathers, but this piece did not nearly strike the objective tone that it should have.

We are all pentax fans, and I tend to agree with the overall conclusion that the K-5 is all we were hoping for, but the phrasing, length, and choices on what to include moved this away from 'professional review' and towards 'Introducing the Amazing K-5!'

particularly:

-You've included a load of tips and tidbits that have nothing to do with the performance of the camera body itself, like what ISO you should probably shoot at, and that you should keep your packaging (and btw, why is it only good practice with Pentax DSLRs?). These are not badly written but belong in an 'intro to photography' article, and not a camera review. This kind of things makes an overly long article that is a chore to read.

-Language like "Now comes the moment you've been waiting for- powering up the camera" or "We hope you enjoy your K-5!" does not belong in a review.

-the sections which went into depth on the flashes or remotes or lenses one should buy were completely unnecessary, reinforcing the feeling of reading a brochure.

-the videos didn't add anything to the presentation, and could have been more succinctly presented as single sentences describing the results of the tests.

-finally, nary a mention of cameras from other manufacturers. I know this is a pentax-centric site, but any review should be helping people decide between brands. It's a shame because I think the K-5 could easily have come out the winner either on performance or value, depending on what other bodies it could have been pitted against.

All that said, your review did have some great work in it for which I thank you:

-The section on slow shutter NR was quite informative, and I was interested to see the color shift between having it on and off.

-The side-by-side comparisons were really cool and useful.

In conclusion, I am sorry to suggest that if you label something a 'professional review' it should first be a review, which you didn't manage to nail. The writing was professional but in the context of an objective review, which is a bit of journalism, it missed several professional standards. Is every review of every pentax you do from now on going to follow the same template (brochure clips included) and have the same trying girth? How much will be cut and paste?

I hope you can read this with an open mind, and I do really appreciate all the obvious effort that went into this piece of work, just not the result, per se.

Jesse
11-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #13
wll
Veteran Member

Adam, Good Job

Very nice and clean report.

Thank you and Ole for a job well done !

wll
11-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #14
Forum Member

Jesse,
I share Your opinion in some way, but keep in mind that it's a 'hands on' written by Pentax fan (maybe too small word). It is still a lot of effort to do actual comparisons and write the text - for this I'm very grateful, but as always in such situation we have to pull out information from the praising form of the language. This is a point at which I distinguish between a review in brand-specific portal and the test made by brand-independent team. I'm very happy reading this nevertheless
Hopefully purely scientific test will show up in portal I'm cooperating with, optyczne.pl (English version concerning lenses is lenstip.com).
11-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
I'm sorry if this ruffles feathers...
I'm of a like mind... Calling it a "Review" implies "review relative to what" to me. BTW I like your style, level of detail and many things about the article.

Anyway, perhaps the article could be better described as "K-5: EUREKA Tips, Tricks, Lessons Learned and Here's How to Get the Most Out of Your New Camera."

Since the K-5 is a an elegantly refined and complex piece of technology, I happen to think an on-going article "always under construction" with a similar focus is much needed. It should drive a ton of viewers to your site and attract a huge following. I feel most photographers are like fishermen; that is, they are reluctant to share the location of their favorite fishing hole. You have no need to hide anything gained from your experience (I hope).

Keeping in mind locational differences (you in the sunny cumin flavored southwest, others of us reside in the cloudy, greasy-spoon, drizzly climes), I would welcome an ongoing thread that shares your "Eureka" moments with the K-5. I find it hard to think about things I've never thought of before. I can't speak for others, but building on this article, a running commentary from you on your journey into 'K-5 land' will be very helpful to me.

For example, I've always my camera's JPG settings frustrating. Something was always set wrong and I would wind-up with a difficult to recover from mess. As a result, I gave up on in-camera JPG. I use RAW (DNG) almost exclusively then fuss around fine tuning things in Lightroom. Now, I see that I can model JPG output on my PC using the Pentax software package and key these settings into the camera in order to produce a similar result. Your "Vibrant" setting suggestion got the ball rolling for me. I set the camera to RAW+ and found the JPG images were almost spot on. All I needed to do was crop to compose in order to match my Lightroom developed DNG version of the same file. Perhaps this feature has always been available to me, but I missed it. Thanks for the tip and reminding me...

Just some thoughts... Keep up the good work.

Cheers x2...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-21-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added a "For example... Vibrant"