Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by hegedus Quote
In my opinion there is something very wrong with this photo - it is either lens or the body missed focus, or something third. I think that the resolution can't be accused for the bad picture in this case, because FA 24mm is a full frame lens, and it should be capable of much larger sensor at higher resolution.
If we are supposed to be looking at the trees at the end of the driveway and judging from that, this photo is definitely mis-focused (ignoring that everything is sliding off to the right). Look at the foreground, even on the edges.



11-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
osv
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,080
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If we are supposed to be looking at the trees at the end of the driveway and judging from that, this photo is definitely mis-focused (ignoring that everything is sliding off to the right). Look at the foreground, even on the edges.

x2

how much dof as well... is that ca on the light poles? yuk
11-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
TomE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 299
From Photozone:

"The Pentax SMC-FA* 24mm f/2 AL [IF] is an interesting lens but not a really stellar performer as you may expect from its FA* designation. The resolution characteristic has a very strong emphasis on the center resolution whereas the border quality is a bit substandard especially at large aperture settings."

I realize APS sensors only use the center of the lens, but the FA*24mm is not the greatest lens, compared to other FA* lenses, which possibly is why the K5 makes its flaws more obvious.

Tom
11-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
TomE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 299
Sorry double post for some reason!

11-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
From Photozone:

"The Pentax SMC-FA* 24mm f/2 AL [IF] is an interesting lens but not a really stellar performer as you may expect from its FA* designation. The resolution characteristic has a very strong emphasis on the center resolution whereas the border quality is a bit substandard especially at large aperture settings."

I realize APS sensors only use the center of the lens, but the FA*24mm is not the greatest lens, compared to other FA* lenses, which possibly is why the K5 makes its flaws more obvious.

Tom
That's all well and good but on the photo in question, the edges (I understand it's on an APS-C rather than full frame) of that particular photo are where I'm seeing the best resolution. I would actually like to purchase this lens but am waiting to see Adam's results with it and the K5 before moving forward with that decision.

11-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,821
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/32162qXOjQehHIw/E9QALj3fZV/565942.jpg

I've download DNG from K-5's review.
Pentax K-5 Review - PentaxForums.com Professional Reviews
Index of /content/k5review/raw


It's ISO100 file. ISO80 is much worse.
Converted in LR 3.2.
ALL NR is set to ZERO. Sharpness 40@0.8. Details 35.

It's f8 and it's really weak result for me.

And I don't understand where is the focus point? The right wall of building and the lower part of road are sharper than left and central part of photo.
Had it been a lens test I would have used a tripod and carefully selected the focal point to be the same in all shots. My main concern was to find a subject with enough contrast so as to illustrate the difference between ISO 80 and 100.

The building and its immediate surroundings is the subject of interest, hence the tight crop posted in the review. In hindsight it would have made sense to consistently focus on the window nearest the doorway since that is where one can see the subtle differences between ISO 80 and 100. In the shots posted focus was somewhere between one third to halfway down the building and differs amongst the shots.
11-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Had it been a lens test I would have used a tripod and carefully selected the focal point to be the same in all shots. My main concern was to find a subject with enough contrast so as to illustrate the difference between ISO 80 and 100.

The building and its immediate surroundings is the subject of interest, hence the tight crop posted in the review. In hindsight it would have made sense to consistently focus on the window nearest the doorway since that is where one can see the subtle differences between ISO 80 and 100. In the shots posted focus was somewhere between one third to halfway down the building and differs amongst the shots.
He-he...I'm in trouble... FA*24/2 is my ONLY one wide-angle lens and I'm preparing to buy K-5....

Klaus from photozone says that K-5 has thicker AA filter than previous Pentax models...



How to be?
11-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How to be?
...SD1

11-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bhavnagar (Gujarat),India
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 338
To the OP

Check on DPR, the post of Pentax_prime, he has posted DA*55, FA*24 and FA31ltd shots in a single thread. He has addressed your doubts clearly. Better would be to ask more samples from him.

Atindra
11-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Dear Jason....I say about what my eyes see and nothing else. It's just my impression.

I don't care benchmarks and test. I see real life photos.
FA*24 is worse at K-5 than at K200D. It's all. Maybe FA*24 of reviewer is wrong...I don't know.

You are a bit wrong. The wood is VERY complex object and good lens offers very good resolution and details of wood. The first object from review is more simple for FA*24.
Dear Ogl,

Maybe when you purchase a K-5, your FA24 will be pleasing to your eyes as you will be the ones making the photographs?

Enjoy.

Jason
11-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
The K-5 is the best Pentax digital 35mm cropped camera yet. That means, when using it to a lower benchmark (i.e. K20d, K-7 etc), the K-5 would at least be able to match them using the same lens. The K-5 would then (based on it being a better, more capable camera) be able to extend that for better shots where some lenses might start to show a drop in quality, but not below the "low" benchmark of the k20d/K-7. If your life revolves around printing billboard sized pictures using your K-5, then you might (might) see a lens not "keeping up" , but to amplify the imperfections of a lens, it should still be past what the k20d / K-7 would be able to resolve. To say that the K-5 can't take beautiful pics with a FA24 doesn't make sense to me.
11-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #27
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Dear Ogl,

Maybe when you purchase a K-5, your FA24 will be pleasing to your eyes as you will be the ones making the photographs?

Enjoy.

Jason
I'm in perplexity....FA77 is razor sharp at K-5...FA*24 is not...
11-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #28
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'm in perplexity....FA77 is razor sharp at K-5...FA*24 is not...
give link to FA77 examples ?
11-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #29
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,510
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'm in perplexity....FA77 is razor sharp at K-5...FA*24 is not...
The problem with this sample is that focus is in the front, while the center of the image is in the background. I'm still surprised that the FA*24 shows that much CA in the OOF areas in the background at the left hand side.
11-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #30
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
FA77 is a very fine lens. If not in love with the FA24, have you considered the DA21?

Jason
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, review
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Am Weak... (LBA) ajuett Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 26 04-02-2010 12:46 AM
Two hunters in the sand ... not for you weak hearted Rense Post Your Photos! 13 08-13-2009 11:41 AM
too weak? not worth it? kewpie-o Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 7 07-31-2009 01:18 PM
I am so weak... need help!!! ACImages Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 01-03-2008 02:24 AM
please critique my work. what's strong, what's weak? konraDarnok Post Your Photos! 2 11-02-2007 02:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top